The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

White undershirts

I know the rules about undershirts, that they should match the predominant color of the players jerseys, but I'm wondering about the a-shirts or tank top undershirts that are not meant to be seen outside the jersey, but sometimes are visible. Do you have the players remove them, or do you let that slide? How about under-armor sleeveless undershirts?

It seems to me that officials in our area treat these undershirts similarly to when girls have sports bras that don't match the uniforms, but one official had a player remove his white a-shirt at a game this weekend. I don't recall any other official enforcing this, but maybe this is just the first time a player made an issue of it and I didn't notice before.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

I make the sleeves match. I don't worry about the neckline, or any part that might show through the arm-hole in the jersey.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 11:24am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
I make the sleeves match. I don't worry about the neckline, or any part that might show through the arm-hole in the jersey.
That is exactly how our officials are instructed to call it.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
I'm with you I look at it as the the sleves need to be the same color as the jersey.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

We use the same standard as compression shorts. If you can see the sleeves or neck line when the player is standing still, it has to be the same color as the jersey. Tank tops or a-shirts will be easily concealed under the jersey.

If there's a logo on the neckline, i.e. UnderArmor, it has to come off or be turned inside out.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It seems to me that officials in our area treat these undershirts similarly to when girls have sports bras

You aren't asking them to remove those are you??????
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

I just posed the question to my assignor and he responded "If it is a different color and it shows, they have to remove it." So I guess here in Portland, if you can see it at all, it has to be removed. That's pretty much what I've been doing all along anyway, but I just wanted to be sure.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
"If it is a different color and it shows, they have to remove it."

Which puts a whole different spin on my smartass comment!!!!
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I just posed the question to my assignor and he responded "If it is a different color and it shows, they have to remove it." So I guess here in Portland, if you can see it at all, it has to be removed. That's pretty much what I've been doing all along anyway, but I just wanted to be sure.
That's the way we do it on my crew. Last night, the visiting varsity team had 3 players with white t-shirts sticking out. I didn't catch it (I was R) until they took off the warm ups. I went out as soon as they were finished with introductions, had them leave the gym quickly, and get them off. The only comment from their coach was yelling at them for not paying attention to the rule. Along with that, the Home team had 3 guys that were told 3 times to get their shirts in and keep them in. At the end of the 1st period, the starting center tried to check back into the game after being on the bench. He came in with his shirt out and I sent him right back to the bench. I told the coach we had talked to them 3 times about the shirts so the coach ripped him a new one. The rest of the night they were pretty good about checking their shirts. That was about it for excitement, the final score was 84-19 home team.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 03:10pm
MABO Member

Quote:
This is almost exactly what my assignor told me on Monday. I went on the assumption that sleeves had to match but if they were hemmed and capped above the shoulder they could stay on. I also never worried about necklines either. I will now, however.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 04:12pm
certified Hot Mom tester

It's the sleeves that matter. The entire point of the rule is to avoid confusion on such things as 3 second calls. If you are lead and there are players standing sideways in a crowd in the lane, sometimes all you can see is a sleeve. If it's the "wrong" color, you could make the "wrong" call.

I know it sounds petty, but I was told once that was one of the main reasons for that rule.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

what about Grey undershirt? or Tank-tops? Do you guys considered those "white?"

Another question - what about long socks? Is it legal to wear different color long socks?
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
It's the sleeves that matter. The entire point of the rule is to avoid confusion on such things as 3 second calls. If you are lead and there are players standing sideways in a crowd in the lane, sometimes all you can see is a sleeve. If it's the "wrong" color, you could make the "wrong" call.

I know it sounds petty, but I was told once that was one of the main reasons for that rule.
That is not the case anymore. During our rules clinic, the NFHS slides showing pictures for the undershirt rule specifically showed a player with a sleeveless undershirt and the only part of the undershirt you could see was the neckline. The fact that Howard says so is all I need to know.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwanr1
what about Grey undershirt? or Tank-tops? Do you guys considered those "white?"

Another question - what about long socks? Is it legal to wear different color long socks?
Personally I do not consider that grey is similar in color to white.

Socks have no restriction.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Here's another thing. Inthe beginning of a JV game I asked a player to remove his undershirt as it does not match the uniform. The player quickly removed his jersey and shirt at the visual confines playing area (he did it right in front of me). By rules, should I enforced a "T" on that player for removing his jersey? Or does the "removing of the jersey in visual confines playing area" rule applies only during the game?