The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 27, 2002, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Hello all. I am in need of some advise, so I came to the place where the experts are!
I have just ended my 7th season as an official, 3 as BJ, 4 as HL. We have had some change in our crew and I am going to be the new white hat. I have been reading my rules and studing cases, as well as reading this list daily (i have learned a lot!!). But now I am looking for advise from experienced referees. What kind of tone should i set? What are some things I need to know and should with my crew and during games. It also will not help a great deal that our wings will also be new.
Thanks for all the advise and helP!
Old Thu Nov 28, 2002, 04:03am
Official Forum Member

First and foremost, have a good pregame with your crew each and every game. Cover what you feel is necessary, positions, foul reporting, etc. Make sure you get your crew to report each foul in football terms, spot of the foul, condition of the ball, team COMMITTING the foul, etc. Don't assume anything, even if you saw what you think was the same foul.

Make sure your umpire hears you clearly, and try to get him in on the discussion with the captain. If you get something wrong (yardage, enforcement, etc.) he should gently get you to correct yourself ("Would you repeat that?" is a signal that you've got something wrong). And before you turn to give the final signal while the umpire marks off the penalty, communicate clearly where he will be spotting the ball. (e.g., "I'm on the 22, I'm going to the 37." or "I'm on the 18, inside the twenty. I'm going to the nine.") That will save you both the problem of going the wrong way, or marking off too much or too little yardage.

As Referee, don't be too anxious to watch the game. Stick with your area of responsibility. You may not know if that long pass was complete or intercepted, but someone in your crew will. You need to know if the passer was roughed. There's no need to rush.

You're an experienced official. It's the same game from a different perspective. What did you see in your other referees that you liked or disliked? Try to start building your "Referee Character" from there. Depend on your crew, lean on your umpire. And enjoy the game.

Old Fri Dec 06, 2002, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Be yourself, Work with your crew, also if you new wing men make mistakes help them. You were once a new man also.

good luck