The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 20, 2004, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
My association has started a new training program this year and I have been asked/selected to be the crew chief for the crew. I am excited about the concept and think that we have the potential to succeed.

The basic principle is this - take one official that is an excellent teacher w/ over 20 years of NCAA, NFHS experience, match him with 6 guys with less than 4 years experience. Make one of the more experienced guys with leadership experience (me w/ 3 years officiating experience). Train these 6 guys over the course of the next 2 years utilizing Jr. High and JV games. In 2 years, the 2 other experienced guys will be ready to start "training crews" of their own and the 3 rookies will be ready to work Friday nights.

My problem - I never worked the R position on my old crew and I was gone for a year b/c of military service. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Tue Jul 20, 2004, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

When the door closes, and you begin the pre-game, let the crew know that it's time to get serious. Go over the usual topics, and ask some questions of some of your crew. Go through your routine, but don't intimidate or try to embarrass your crew. Some of the younger officials are still learning and are afraid to be put on the spot.

Let them know that you all have to work as a team to be successful.

Incorporate training with game-like situations.

You, as the Referee, will know when your crew is ready. Let them understand, and build self-confidence, and before you know it, that crew is about to embark on a great experience.

Enjoy the experience.

Carpe Diem (Sieze the Day)
Alexandria, LA
Louisiana NG
Old Tue Jul 20, 2004, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

Three pieces of advice:

1. Make sure your crew knows, by words AND DEEDS, that you as the referee cannot do it alone...that there are three teams on that field.

2. Encourage your umpire to really get into the game. He is in the middle of everything...sees all, hears all. If he has a bad game, the entire crew will lose control.

3. Instill in your wings to communicate, communicate, communicate with the coach(s), preferably by name. "Coach Wilson, your no. 68 held and it opened the hole for that gain." The number one complaint of coaches for years has been that the official right there won't talk to him.
Old Wed Jul 21, 2004, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

For whitehats, know your rules! I go through the rule summary in the book several times a week and also practice my signals for those rules. The rule and the signal become synonymous and thus they become easier to remember. Tell the other guys on the crew when they are doing good things during the game. Like any other team, they like to know when they are doing a good job. Be enthusiastic and positive. Work on getting the "ryhthm" going during the game. Have fun!
Old Wed Jul 21, 2004, 07:57pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Officiate in cruise control.
Old Thu Jul 22, 2004, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Go slow, slow down a little more and then slow down some more.

Crisp signals (I also say the infraction, yardage penalty and next down number loud enough so that the sideline I'm facing can hear me clearly).

Jog to your position after givng the RFP.