The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 09:53pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Had a game last week where the visitors didn't shed their warmups till tipoff and you guessed it, two guys had white tee shirts under red jerseys. One was a starter, so we sent him into the corner of the gym under the bleachers almost so he could shed the illegal garment. And we pretended we did not see him, then started the game with a jump ball. No T was assessed. Would any of you handled this differently? i.e. "Coach, you have to get a sub in and send those guys to the locker room to change." Thanks.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Manage your game.

Was the undershirt noticed before the player entered the court to participate in the jump ball?

Alternative if you wanted to send a message was request a substitute or face delay of game.
Old Thu Dec 15, 2005, 08:31am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
It was noticed at the bench just prior to the player entering the court. I was speaking to the coach at the time about his two players that needed to change.
Old Thu Dec 15, 2005, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
I'm going to ask a question that I will probably be murdered for. Whats the big deal? Its a white t-shirt. What color was everyone else wearing? thats like POE being shirt tails this year.... I understand there reasoning, but dont go looking for trouble with this stuff.
Old Thu Dec 15, 2005, 09:00am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ace
I'm going to ask a question that I will probably be murdered for. Whats the big deal? Its a white t-shirt. What color was everyone else wearing? thats like POE being shirt tails this year.... I understand there reasoning, but dont go looking for trouble with this stuff.
Ace, it's a rule. That's all I can tell you. Don't matter a lick whether that particular rule actually makes sense or not; it's still a rule. It also ain't the only rule in the book that I personally think is dumb. Case in point- letting a head coach call time-outs.

Btw, ever notice that NBA players don't have a problem keeping their shirt tails tucked in all the way around, but high school players do have a problem? Why is that?
Old Thu Dec 15, 2005, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

ART. 6 . . . The torso of the team jersey shall be the same single solid color from the base of the neck to the bottom of the team jersey. Undershirts shall be similar in color to the torso of the shirt and shall not have frayed or ragged edges. If the undershirt has sleeves, they shall be the same length.
Old Thu Dec 15, 2005, 09:45am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee

Btw, ever notice that NBA players don't have a problem keeping their shirt tails tucked in all the way around, but high school players do have a problem? Why is that? [/B]
Great point! You don't see them tying their shoes either.
Old Thu Dec 15, 2005, 09:54am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee

Btw, ever notice that NBA players don't have a problem keeping their shirt tails tucked in all the way around, but high school players do have a problem? Why is that?
Great point! You don't see them tying their shoes either. [/B]
Or hollering "ball, ball, ball..."

LOL..
Old Thu Dec 15, 2005, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

I did the same thing with a player in a varsity game a week ago. We noticed the shirt when the player came out during introductions and he took it off quickly. The delay was very minimal. I see no problem as long as they get it off quickly.
Old Thu Dec 15, 2005, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 26 Year Gap
Had a game last week where the visitors didn't shed their warmups till tipoff and you guessed it, two guys had white tee shirts under red jerseys. One was a starter, so we sent him into the corner of the gym under the bleachers almost so he could shed the illegal garment. And we pretended we did not see him, then started the game with a jump ball. No T was assessed. Would any of you handled this differently? i.e. "Coach, you have to get a sub in and send those guys to the locker room to change." Thanks.
And something that I only noticed a couple of years ago, but which has probably been in the Rules Book for a long time, is that illegal equipment or apparel is a permissible reason to change a designated starter. No technical foul is charged.

If the kid hides the jewelry or undershirt until just before tip off you can prevent them from starting and insist upon a sub without making a huge deal out of it.