The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

live ball contact- technical foul?

Anyone else see the Kentucky v. Chattanooga?

At one point, there was a technical foul called on Kentucky pointguard Derrick Jasper, reportedly for pushing off against Kevin Bridgewaters. I thought perhaps there was more to it, but if there was taunting or anything of that nature, it wasn't evident in the replays.

The announcers seemed to indicate that the T was just for the contact, which didn't seem flagrant.

Anyway, I wondered about the rule. As I understand it, you can't have a T for contact during a live ball- it could be ruled as intentional or flagrant, but not a T? Is there a difference under NCAA rules?
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnjoe
Anyone else see the Kentucky v. Chattanooga?

At one point, there was a technical foul called on Kentucky pointguard Derrick Jasper, reportedly for pushing off against Kevin Bridgewaters. I thought perhaps there was more to it, but if there was taunting or anything of that nature, it wasn't evident in the replays.

The announcers seemed to indicate that the T was just for the contact, which didn't seem flagrant.

Anyway, I wondered about the rule. As I understand it, you can't have a T for contact during a live ball- it could be ruled as intentional or flagrant, but not a T? Is there a difference under NCAA rules?
There's no difference in this example.
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 09:54am
We don't rent pigs

Didn't see it, first I've heard of it, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the announcers made a mistake.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

My first thought was that the announcers made a mistake, and perhaps the call was intentional foul. But the officially clearly signaled a T.

If the announcers got the reason for the call wrong, so has the media...

If it wasn't for the contact, I don't know what it was for.
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Who got the ball? the offended team or did they go to POI? Cause if it was contact and their was a T given then it was an intentional technical and the offended team receives the ball at the division line.
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Chattanooga received the ball- I'm not questioning if the call was a technical- the signal and the mechanics clearly confirmed that was the call.

My question is about the rule, particularly whether I misunderstood the rule before, or whether there is something different in NCAA rules that would permit a technical foul for liveball contact.

Oh, and what pray-tell, is an "intentional technical" as you say ?
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Chattanooga received the ball- I'm not questioning if the call was a technical- the signal and the mechanics clearly confirmed that was the call.

My question is about the rule, particularly whether I misunderstood the rule before, or whether there is something different in NCAA rules that would permit a technical foul for liveball contact.

Oh, and what pray-tell, is an "intentional technical" as you say ?
Intentionally (but not flagrantly) contacting an opponent while the ball is dead (or words substantially to that effect). It applies only to NCAAM (not NCAAW). The definition is in the rule book.
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks bob jenkins.

So, is there anything in the rule book that would permit that call for LIVE ball contact?
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So, is there anything in the rule book that would permit that call for LIVE ball contact?
Nope. The official probably got it wrong. It happens frequently. It also happened during the Cal/Kansas State game on the flagrant.