The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 26, 2001, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Player A is driving to the basket and shoots a layup. Player B slaps the backboard hard. This guy can realy jump. I signal a "T" for slapping the backboard. About the time I do this the ball rolls around the rim and goes in the basket. Well now what do I do? I counted the basket and we administered the Technical (shot 2 free throws and gave team A the ball at half court. My partner disagreed.
Did I get it right? If I didn't at least no one slapped the backboard again that game.

jwc
Old Wed Sep 26, 2001, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
intent important...

Was the Team B player trying to block the shot and just happened to slap the board with his follow through? If so, you probably should have sucked on your whistle and let play continue. However, if the player was showboating or just trying to hit the board hard enough to make it vibrate, a T would definitely be justified.

More times than not, this play is the result of an unsuccessful defensive swat by B and should be left alone.
Old Wed Sep 26, 2001, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Did the player intentionally slap the backboard or was he going for the block, missed the ball, and hit the backboard?

If your answer is the former, then you got it right.

If it was the latter, then you got it wrong?
Old Wed Sep 26, 2001, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

If player B's move was a legitimate attempt to block the shot, you have nothing and play on. If, however, in you judgment, player B was simply slapping the board to rattle the ball, did it for showmanship, did it out of frustration, etc., "T" 'em up. As I said before, if he was legitimately trying to block the shot and the follow through of that attempt struck the board or he simply missed the ball in the attempt, play on. The purpose of the rule, IMHO, is to penalize intentional contact with the backboard while a try is involved or placing a hand on the backboard to gain an advantage.
Old Wed Sep 26, 2001, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Yes he definitely was show boating. Was not close to blocking the ball. The awkward part was the ball did go in the basket so I had to count it plus give the "T".
Old Wed Sep 26, 2001, 03:37pm
9 times

Quote:
Originally posted by JWC
Yes he definitely was show boating. Was not close to blocking the ball. The awkward part was the ball did go in the basket so I had to count it plus give the "T".
So what? The kid just learned a tough lesson.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Wed Sep 26, 2001, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Absolutely, count it. I'm sure he looked at you in shock when you rang him up! I'm sure his coach was happy too being that the other team was about to get a chance at all kinds of points because his player was stupid!
Old Wed Sep 26, 2001, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JWC
About the time I do this the ball rolls around the rim and goes in the basket. Well now what do I do?
The technical doesn't cause the ball to become dead, anymore than any other foul would. Well, there is one foul that would have cancelled the basket.

Any guesses?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Sep 27, 2001, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by JWC
About the time I do this the ball rolls around the rim and goes in the basket. Well now what do I do?
The technical doesn't cause the ball to become dead, anymore than any other foul would. Well, there is one foul that would have cancelled the basket.

Any guesses?

Hmmm, are we talking NCAA mens or NFHS?
Old Thu Sep 27, 2001, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

Hmmm, are we talking NCAA mens or NFHS?

NFHS. Don't know anything about that NCAA stuff.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Sep 27, 2001, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dave Brost
Cool

As mentioned above, the Technical does not cause the ball to go dead. This being said, the shot has its own merit, seperate from the "T". If the shot goes in, it counts. If not, so be it. Either way you will still administer the two free throws for the "T", and ball at division line for inbound.
Old Thu Sep 27, 2001, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know of any foul that would cancel the basket once the ball was released. NFHS does not have the screwy rule that NCAA has as to whether the shooter has come to the floor or released the ball. I like our rule better. You got me, if there is a foul that would cancel the basket, I don't know what it would be.
Old Thu Sep 27, 2001, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I don't know of any foul that would cancel the basket once the ball was released. NFHS does not have the screwy rule that NCAA has as to whether the shooter has come to the floor or released the ball.

I think you may have the wrong idea about the NCAA rule. In the NCAA, if the shooter releases the ball before he makes contact with the defender, then it is a common foul on the shooter and the basket will count if it goes in. I'm pretty sure that it has nothing to do with when the shooter returns to the floor. In NFHS, on the other hand, I believe that the shooter is considered to be in the act of shooting until one foot comes to the floor.

I like our rule better. You got me, if there is a foul that would cancel the basket, I don't know what it would be.

I believe it would be a player control foul in the NFHS rulebook. Even if the ball has left the shooter's hand, the basket is cancelled if he is called for a PC.

(As a technicality, a PC foul also cancels the basket in NCAA. It's just that in NCAA, the shooter is considered to have given up player control when the shot leaves the hand.)

Chuck
Old Thu Sep 27, 2001, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Since we are talking rules in college, we would not give the ball back to the shooting team after the "T". Since there was no team control at the time of the whistle, we would shoot the shots for the "T", and then go to the arrow. This is why I would hold my whistle until there is team control.
Old Thu Sep 27, 2001, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
I don't know of any foul that would cancel the basket once the ball was released. NFHS does not have the screwy rule that NCAA has as to whether the shooter has come to the floor or released the ball.

I think you may have the wrong idea about the NCAA rule. In the NCAA, if the shooter releases the ball before he makes contact with the defender, then it is a common foul on the shooter and the basket will count if it goes in. I'm pretty sure that it has nothing to do with when the shooter returns to the floor. In NFHS, on the other hand, I believe that the shooter is considered to be in the act of shooting until one foot comes to the floor.

I like our rule better. You got me, if there is a foul that would cancel the basket, I don't know what it would be.

I believe it would be a player control foul in the NFHS rulebook. Even if the ball has left the shooter's hand, the basket is cancelled if he is called for a PC.

(As a technicality, a PC foul also cancels the basket in NCAA. It's just that in NCAA, the shooter is considered to have given up player control when the shot leaves the hand.)

Chuck
Player control foul makes the ball dead immediately,
which to answer Tony's question means the shot does not
count on a player control foul. However:

NFHS & NCAA women: player control if the player has the
ball *or* the player is an airborne shooter. Airborne
shooter player control foul means shot does not count.

NCAA men: player control if the player has the ball (doesn't
include airborne shooter). So, if the foul is before the
ball is released then it's a PC & the shot does not count.
If the ball is released before the airborne player commits
a foul it's a common foul, as Chuck points out. Score the
basket. Also, since it's a common foul you go down the
other end & shoot if the team fouled is in the bonus. I've
never seen this happen.