View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 27, 2001, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I don't know of any foul that would cancel the basket once the ball was released. NFHS does not have the screwy rule that NCAA has as to whether the shooter has come to the floor or released the ball.

I think you may have the wrong idea about the NCAA rule. In the NCAA, if the shooter releases the ball before he makes contact with the defender, then it is a common foul on the shooter and the basket will count if it goes in. I'm pretty sure that it has nothing to do with when the shooter returns to the floor. In NFHS, on the other hand, I believe that the shooter is considered to be in the act of shooting until one foot comes to the floor.

I like our rule better. You got me, if there is a foul that would cancel the basket, I don't know what it would be.

I believe it would be a player control foul in the NFHS rulebook. Even if the ball has left the shooter's hand, the basket is cancelled if he is called for a PC.

(As a technicality, a PC foul also cancels the basket in NCAA. It's just that in NCAA, the shooter is considered to have given up player control when the shot leaves the hand.)

Chuck