The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 06, 2006, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

Rather New Official, Few Questions

Hey I am a rather new official (1 year experience) and I truly decided a little while ago that I am really going to try and go as far with this as possible. I decided to jump into the rule book and case book but have a few questions as I continue to read. I asure you, these will probably not be the last questions I have, but if any of you could answer even 1 question, that would help me a ton.
Question (1): How do you report a technical foul to the table for a player/coach. Once you give it to the coach, do you just walk away or do you turn around and say to the table technical foul, white head coach? Also, here is a situation. A6 (bench personel) yells at the ref and gets a technical foul. This means the head coach also gets an indirect. Correct me if I am wrong, but this only counts as 1 foul towards team foul count. How would you report this, do you say white 22, technical foul and then say indirect on white coach? Finally, if a player who is disqualified gets a technical foul, what happens?

Question (2): If a coach presents roster at 15 minutes before game and then at 12 minutes wants to add a team member, is this still a technical foul even though before 10 minute mark?

Question (3): If a team member becomes a player and then plays for 5 minutes, and then the officials realize he has the wrong number, is a technical foul still assesed or is it to late. Also, who is the technical given to?

Question (4): Not a rules question, but very important. Where do you officials look at when watching a player (arms and down?) Also, when off-ball do you focus on one matchup or what? What are some tips about this can any of you help me with?

Last Question: If A1 gets fouled and is about to get 2 shots. Then A1 gets a technical, what happens?

THANKS FOR EVERYTHING!
Old Mon Nov 06, 2006, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLBrvs326
Hey I am a rather new official (1 year experience) and I truly decided a little while ago that I am really going to try and go as far with this as possible. I decided to jump into the rule book and case book but have a few questions as I continue to read. I asure you, these will probably not be the last questions I have, but if any of you could answer even 1 question, that would help me a ton.
Question (1): How do you report a technical foul to the table for a player/coach. Once you give it to the coach, do you just walk away or do you turn around and say to the table technical foul, white head coach? Also, here is a situation. A6 (bench personel) yells at the ref and gets a technical foul. This means the head coach also gets an indirect. Correct me if I am wrong, but this only counts as 1 foul towards team foul count. How would you report this, do you say white 22, technical foul and then say indirect on white coach? Finally, if a player who is disqualified gets a technical foul, what happens?!
Stop clock (fist in air and whistle), signal T, and say, "Technical foul white coach" . Then look at partner, to be sure he sees what's happening, then go to the table, look at the book person and say, "Technical foul" while signalling with the T. Say, "White coach" while signalling a C. Then say, "Two shots". Check again with partner, and be sure he's got the right team lining up to shoot and that the lane is clear.

On bench personnel, same procedure, except that you also say quietly to the book person, "Will you just note that this is one indirect technical foul against the white coach?" Be sure she does it and does it in a way that will be usable later if necessary. Then proceed with shots.

Quote:
Question (2): If a coach presents roster at 15 minutes before game and then at 12 minutes wants to add a team member, is this still a technical foul even though before 10 minute mark?!
Still legal. Nothing matters until the 10 minute mark!!

Quote:
Question (3): If a team member becomes a player and then plays for 5 minutes, and then the officials realize he has the wrong number, is a technical foul still assesed or is it to late. Also, who is the technical given to?
What Chuck said.

Quote:

Question (4): Not a rules question, but very important. Where do you officials look at when watching a player (arms and down?) Also, when off-ball do you focus on one matchup or what? What are some tips about this can any of you help me with?!
When watching, you watch what's importnat at that moment. And that can change from second to second. You have to have a good view of every possible situation, and then home in on whatever needs attention. This skill improves drastically the first time you miss an obvious illegal screen while you are watching for a travel by a player who's standing still holding the ball. Then you'll develop another level of this skill the first time you miss a blatant double dribble, because you're trying to see whether the post player has his knee too far "in"!

Quote:
Last Question: If A1 gets fouled and is about to get 2 shots. Then A1 gets a technical, what happens?

THANKS FOR EVERYTHING!
Penalize fouls in the order they occur. A1 shoots. Then any B player shoots the T shots, and B gets the ball oob at the midcourt line.

YOU'RE WELCOME FOR EVERYTHING!!

Last edited by rainmaker; Mon Nov 06, 2006 at 10:15pm.
Old Mon Nov 06, 2006, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Question (1): How do you report a technical foul to the table for a player/coach. Once you give it to the coach, do you just walk away or do you turn around and say to the table technical foul, white head coach?
Definitely report it to the table. "White. Head Coach. Technical foul." Your partner should then remind the coach that s/he has lost the privilege of the coaching box, if your state uses one.

Quote:
A6 (bench personel) yells at the ref and gets a technical foul. This means the head coach also gets an indirect. Correct me if I am wrong, but this only counts as 1 foul towards team foul count.
You're exactly right. Only the direct technical foul (assessed to A6) counts toward the team foul count. The coach's indirect is marked in the book, but does not count toward the bonus.

Quote:
How would you report this, do you say white 22, technical foul and then say indirect on white coach?
"White 22. Technical foul. The foul also applies indirectly to the coach. Please record it in the book."

Quote:
Finally, if a player who is disqualified gets a technical foul, what happens?
Same thing as the previous question.

Quote:
Question (2): If a coach presents roster at 15 minutes before game and then at 12 minutes wants to add a team member, is this still a technical foul even though before 10 minute mark?
Nope. No penalty until after the 10 minute mark.

Quote:
Not too late. The penalty is assessed when it is discovered, or when the book has to be changed to match the player's number. The technical is assessed to the team, not the player.

Quote:
Question (4): Where do you officials look at when watching a player (arms and down?)
Arms and down is probably a good description. I'm going to try to look "through" (between) the players, rather than looking directly at just one in many cases. On a shot attempt, I'm watching the defender's position, hands and arms. I want to see if the defender has established legal guarding position, so that if there's a crash, I will know if it's a block or a charge.

Quote:
Also, when off-ball do you focus on one matchup or what? What are some tips about this can any of you help me with?
You can't just focus on one matchup, although that may be the best you can do at first. You have to find the matchups that are being contested. In other words, you don't need to pay too much attention to 2 guys just standing next to each other if there are two guys duking it out for position on the other block. There might even be two or three matchups that you need to monitor (especially if you're working 2-whistle). But for starting out, find one matchup and watch it from beginning to end. That will help you establish an "off-ball" mindset.

Quote:
The great thing about high school rules is that all fouls are penalized in the order in which they occur. So in your case. A1 shoots the 2 FTs with no one on the lane. Then anyone from Team B shoots 2 FTs for the technical and Team B gets the ball at midcourt, opposite the table.

Best of luck in your upcoming season. Work hard!
Old Mon Nov 06, 2006, 11:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Question (1): How do you report a technical foul to the table for a player/coach. Once you give it to the coach, do you just walk away or do you turn around and say to the table technical foul, white head coach? Also, here is a situation. A6 (bench personel) yells at the ref and gets a technical foul. This means the head coach also gets an indirect. Correct me if I am wrong, but this only counts as 1 foul towards team foul count. How would you report this, do you say white 22, technical foul and then say indirect on white coach? Finally, if a player who is disqualified gets a technical foul, what happens?
You report the foul just like any other foul, except you give a technical foul signal to the table.

Quote:
What does the rule say? The rule says any change after 10 minutes. 12 minutes is not less than 10 minutes. Pretty simple if you really think about it.

Quote:
You penalize when discovered and it would be a Team foul. Now any other mistakes like this cannot be penalized. You can only give one T per team for this infraction.

Quote:
Question (4): Not a rules question, but very important. Where do you officials look at when watching a player (arms and down?) Also, when off-ball do you focus on one matchup or what? What are some tips about this can any of you help me with?
First of all you should always try to look into your coverage area first. If there are no players or competitive match-ups in your coverage area you should extent coverage to watch other players. You always want to watch the players that are close to each other and are apart of the play then those that are just standing around and are not moving or not competing for position and trying to make a play. There is no way I can explain what to look at very well on an internet board. All I can tell you is when you are working games, the more you understand the offenses the teams run and the defenses used to defend the offense; you will better learn what to watch. One of the reasons basketball is one of the hardest sports to officiate, is because there is a lot to focus on in a short period of time. What to watch and when to watch will take many games and watching many games you are not officiating.

Quote:
You shoot all the FTs in the order they took place. You have A1 shoot FTs first (if they were not DQ'd) then a team B player will shoot the FTs for the T. Then B will get the ball after all the FTs to put the ball back in play.

Peace