The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 23, 2004, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to New AZ Ref
Red face

Last night 4-man crew was scheduled to work a JV game.

I was the only one who showed (still don't know what happened to the others!)

Come kick off time, no one else had arrived, so I called a friend who was off and asked him to come in.

Delayed the game for 1/2 hour while waiting for 2nd official and he brought a third one with him.

My question is what if I couldn't find another official. I was ready to ask for either coaches or parents to help watch the lines and work it myself. As far as I know there is no association rule about how many officials are required to work a game.

How would you have handled this situation. Considering this is only my 2nd JV game, I sure didn't want to try and do it alone.
(I know, I should have called the WH before the game to verify, but I didn't. Probably won't make that mistake again.)
Old Thu Sep 23, 2004, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

I've called a handful of 7th/8th grade games with just 2. R covers L's side, and H covers U.

But we have a standing rule that if only 1 shows up, you don't play it. It's not fair to either team.

And at JV, I would not do it with 2 either. Too many things to watch for at that age - have to have at LEAST 3.
Old Thu Sep 23, 2004, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

If this was in WI then you would need 3 officials. If there's not 3, there's no game. You'd need 4 for varsity.
Old Thu Sep 23, 2004, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

I did a 9th grade game by myself. It was the one of the most enjoyable games I ever did. Our local HS contracts with local officials and no one showed but me. The kids were great, the coaches and fans were great too. Afterwards the AD wrote me a check for all four positions.
Old Fri Sep 24, 2004, 12:07am
Official Forum Member

In many states, such as Michigan, you can not work a game with unregistered officials, such as parents, etc. to cover the lines. I don't know if that's true in AZ or not.

Anyway, for a JV game, I wouldn't work with less than 2, and I'd be very hesitant to work with anything less than 3. I agree with mcrowder, it's just not fair to the kids, and there's probably a safety isssue.

Old Fri Sep 24, 2004, 12:19am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by biglaz
If this was in WI then you would need 3 officials. If there's not 3, there's no game. You'd need 4 for varsity.
I'm in WI -- we never work with less than 4, and as biglaz mentions, we're required to have at least 3.

Some great rules here -- no such thing as a 1-umpire game in baseball. You don't have 2, you can't play a game. Great if you ask me.
Old Fri Sep 24, 2004, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

One-official mechanics
======================

- Stay in your car.