The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 11, 2006, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Official Gear - ASA Official Pants

I need to replace one of my pairs of plate pants - they are Honigs generics that were cheap (and inexpensive) and have seen better days. They are so sun-faded they have a brownish tint.

I have a question for anyone who has purchased plate pants from officialgear.com (ASA's site).

How do the quality of these pants compare with Cliff Keen?

How are the official gear pants constructed? Double stitched? Extra liner in the seat area? Do the belt loops stand up to the extra stress? Any problems with wear and tear (zippers separating, buttons coming off, stitching?)

I don't want to spend Cliff Keen prices and end up with Honigs generic quality, but the picture on the official gear site is not much help. Neither is their description.
Old Tue Apr 11, 2006, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

They are the best quality pants I have purchased; they are major league quality construction by Fechheimer. Wear and tear is excellent; even when stretched to the limit as my body has ballooned behind them.
Old Tue Apr 11, 2006, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

I have been wearing Fechheimer's for years, though not those purchased through officialgear.com. They are an excellent, much better than CK, pant.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Apr 11, 2006, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Add me to that list.
Old Tue Apr 11, 2006, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
I love my Fechheimer pants. They are the Flying Cross style. On thing I would do if I were you is have someone (my wife did mine he, he) go over the seams in the rearend and sew them again. My pants that I have bought were kind of weak in that area. I have her reinforce them and no problems after that. I wear them plenty big so being too tight isn't the reason the stitching comes loose. Dave
Old Tue Apr 11, 2006, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

The Freedom Fit style carried by Official Gear is a better line than the Flying Cross that I purchased elsewhere, not realizing that Fechheimer carries several lines. Heavier quality fabric, heavier stitching, and more.
Old Tue Apr 11, 2006, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck
I love my Fechheimer pants. They are the Flying Cross style. On thing I would do if I were you is have someone (my wife did mine he, he) go over the seams in the rearend and sew them again. My pants that I have bought were kind of weak in that area. I have her reinforce them and no problems after that. I wear them plenty big so being too tight isn't the reason the stitching comes loose. Dave
All of my pants for over a decade have come from ASA. I have never had a problem with the seams or needed to reinforce them as I had to do with those I purchased at an earlier time.
Old Tue Apr 11, 2006, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
Mike, just curious. Are yours the Flying Cross or Freedom Fit? Mine have always been Flying Cross by Fechheimer that I buy from our State ASA office. I may check into the Freedom fit that Steve is talking about. Dave
Old Wed Apr 12, 2006, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Thanks, guys. That's what I'll be ordering.
Old Wed Apr 12, 2006, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Every thread that pops up discussing BLUE pants causes me to lament the lack of BLUE combo pants, such as the ones that are readily available in heather grey.

I have grey base pants, plate pants and combos. The combos work for me- I know that some guys hate them- and give me flexibility when doing multiple base/plate games on a single day.

Well, what do you know! I see that Honig's website is now advertising their NEW combo pants in NAVY BLUE! These are the first that I have ever seen in that color, even after searching for them the past few years.

Just another option, if anyone is interested.
Old Wed Apr 12, 2006, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

I pulled out my pants, to give a closer look to the labeling. I discovered that both sets of Fechheimer are Flying Cross, but only the ones from Official Gear are also Freedom Fit, which has a wider anti-roll waistband (which almost acts as a compression waistband), heavier weight material, and more stitching than those without that designation. I was in error saying these were not Flying Cross, but it appears there is (or was) more than one line named that.

Sorry if my prior statement misled anyone; but, be sure to get Freedom Fit.