The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 21, 2003, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

How can you tell the differece between a College offical vs a high school offical?

A high school offical nows a travel we they see it.!!!!!
Old Fri Feb 21, 2003, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Even a winkie wouldn't make that "joke" funny
Old Fri Feb 21, 2003, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CLAY
How can you tell the differece between a College offical vs a high school offical?

A high school offical nows a travel we they see it.!!!!!
I won't comment on this but you better start running, the wolves are coming....
Old Fri Feb 21, 2003, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bludevil1221
Thumbs down

Try again, but this try and make it funny!
Old Fri Feb 21, 2003, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

It's one of those things that drive you crazy. The reason for that post was my son's game last night. The three guys doing the Varsity game did not have any patches on their shirts. So after the game I asked the score table who the guys where. He stated they are officials who do mostly college games. My response was so that's why they don't know a travel when they see it. It was just a total different game as to the way if was officiated. My observation was the college game is different than high school and they were having a hard time telling the difference.

Clay
Old Fri Feb 21, 2003, 02:41pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
It's one of those things that drive you crazy. The reason for that post was my son's game last night. The three guys doing the Varsity game did not have any patches on their shirts. So after the game I asked the score table who the guys where. He stated they are officials who do mostly college games. My response was so that's why they don't know a travel when they see it. It was just a total different game as to the way if was officiated. My observation was the college game is different than high school and they were having a hard time telling the difference.
Clay,did you ever think that maybe the three college officials knew what they were doing, and maybe you were wrong? The comment that you made to the score table was as about as unprofessional as you could get. Back-stabbing your fellow officials isn't gonna help any of us in this avocation.May I suggest that the next time that you have a problem with officials,you might want to discuss it with those officials instead of the rest of your fellow fans.

Your observation may have been correct.Your conduct wasn't!
Old Fri Feb 21, 2003, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ridgeben
I could see you point if

The joke would have read "What is the difference between a high school ref and an NBA ref?"
Old Fri Feb 21, 2003, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

I'm sure Zebra will disagree w/ me on this, but they probably would not be working college ball if they were not sound officials. It can be a transition though from HS to college and back again. When working a HS game after a college game, I seem to let a bit more go (contact etc...)as this is often the "flow" of a college game. I think that can be applied to good HS games as well. Is that the way these officials were calling the game??? Those rose colored glasses can be difficult to see through when your son/daughter is on the floor and you are in the stands...

[Edited by MN 3 Sport Ref on Feb 21st, 2003 at 02:17 PM]
Old Fri Feb 21, 2003, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MN 3 Sport Ref
I'm sure Zebra will disagree w/ me on this, but they probably would not be working college ball if they were not sound officials.
Hey, I resemble that remark! I've never said that college officials aren't sound officials! I've just maintained that they are human, that they are not above reproach, and that some of them get a little lax on reading their rule books once they have "made it." I've also said that the difference between a great high school ref and a college ref is often nothing more than the fact that the college ref has made the time sacrifice of going to camps and being available for all the travel and time away from family that is required of a college ref. I have never seen a ref selected for college who sucks. :-)

I agree with you that games that have good flow between talented teams are generally only made worse by game-interrupting fouls and "micro-travels" that have no bearing on the game. I think the more experienced an official becomes, the better he/she gets at ignoring the "it doens't matter" stuff. Fans, however, never advance to that level. :-)

Z
Old Fri Feb 21, 2003, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

HIGH SHCOOL VS NCAA

JURASSIC,

Just to get the record straight I did not go to the score table to get the names of the officials. I had not seen them before and was wondering who they were. I still stand with the comment, A good NCAA college official can not, and I repeat can not jump from college to high school and do the game justice. It is a different type of game and they have a hard time seperating high school from college. And if you who are college officials think you can, I say you can't. Now, do not take this the wrong way. In no way I am saying that any of you guys here who are NCAA officials are bad officials Iam not saying that at all.
Old Fri Feb 21, 2003, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

A good official knows he cannot easily watch his son's game and judge the officiating crew in a completely unbiased manner. I couldn't watch my son's school games a few years back without second guessing the coaching moves (what defense they played, offensive strategy, etc.). But I knew enough to just sit and watch, and my son never knew my opinion of what the coach was doing.

As for the basic argument, I am not buying. I think college refs can do fine by HS players. The college rules are not really that different, especially when it comes to the fundamental elements of the game like travelling. I would bet that no matter how they called or no-called the "travelling," they had a consistent game with respect to this and other rules. If it consistent, play to how the game is called.

And Clay, even if your comment was accurate - it was wrong to say it to any but your fellow officials in an appropriate circumstance. You have no business criticizing your fellow officials in a public place like that. I don't criticize my fellow coaches, because I am inviting the same criticism. It is just a line you don't want to cross.
Old Fri Feb 21, 2003, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

I was not criticising the official during the basketball game. I do not yell at officials at anytime and have pointed it out to other people in the stands that verbal abuse to officials is unexceptable. But still stand by my comment, a college officials can not make the adjustment from college to high school. I.E. the amount of hand checking,forearms,holding. And I'll take it one more step. The officials who allow the hand checking and forearms and holding in high school are want to be college officials. Some High school officials just like high school coaches, watch to much college ball. The Bottom line is the game is different.
Old Fri Feb 21, 2003, 05:02pm
Esteemed Participant

Re: HIGH SHCOOL VS NCAA

Quote:
JURASSIC,

I still stand with the comment, A good NCAA college official can not, and I repeat can not jump from college to high school and do the game justice. And if you who are college officials think you can, I say you can't.
So let's say that an official does an NCAA D-III playoff game one week, and the next week goes to a HS State tournament and ends up being selected to do the champioship game there...must be a fairly tale, right?? Get a grip, Clay...
Old Fri Feb 21, 2003, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I was not criticising the official during the basketball game. I do not yell at officials at anytime and have pointed it out to other people in the stands that verbal abuse to officials is unexceptable. But still stand by my comment, a college officials can not make the adjustment from college to high school. I.E. the amount of hand checking,forearms,holding. And I'll take it one more step. The officials who allow the hand checking and forearms and holding in high school are want to be college officials. Some High school officials just like high school coaches, watch to much college ball. The Bottom line is the game is different.
You're not gonna win this debate...let it go.

By the way, I think you are dead wrong. I have worked games with officials who call college ball and have learned much about how to call a game. You and I will just agree to disagree.
Old Fri Feb 21, 2003, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

LarryS

Thank you, and I will let it go.

Clay