The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 12, 2002, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Hello,

I keep score for a high school softball team, and was wondering if anyone knew the proper way to score a couple of play that have come up recently:

1. How do you account for runners advancing a base on the "catch-and-carry" rule that occurs when a fielder catches a ball in play and then takes it out of play. Is the fielder charged with an error on this play?

2. In the tiebreaker procedure that puts a runner on second base to start an extra inning, what is the indication in the scorebook for that runner getting to second? I know that if that run scores, it is not charged to the pitcher, but is there any official designation to accout for this runner getting to second base?

3. When a batter reaches first on catcher's interference, is an error charged to the catcher, or is the batter given credit for a base hit, or is there some other designation for this play?

I hope someone has some answers to these -- I'd really appreciate anyone's help. Thanks a lot!!

Old Fri Apr 12, 2002, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

On 1. It is just a base award by an umpire..........if the players momentum carried the ball into DBT.......I would not score an error.........unless the fielder intentionally carried the ball into DBT.......

Just put BA (base award) to explain the advances.......

On 2. Mark ITB to reference the runner that starts on 2nd.......you are correct......if that runner scores.......the run is charged to TEAM, NOT to the pitcher......

On 3. Denote CI (or CO catchers obstruction).........

Hope this helps......

As long as you understand your scoring system, and stay consistent......you should be able to reconstruct the game from your book........

I also have been official SK for my daughters HS JV team this year........

Good questions........

For more than you ever wanted to know about scoring softball........go to.....

http://www.nfca.org/ATEC-Scoring-Fastpitch.pdf

hope this helps.....

Joel

[Edited by Gulf Coast Blue on Apr 12th, 2002 at 11:03 PM]