View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 06, 2006, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLBrvs326
Question (1): How do you report a technical foul to the table for a player/coach. Once you give it to the coach, do you just walk away or do you turn around and say to the table technical foul, white head coach?
Definitely report it to the table. "White. Head Coach. Technical foul." Your partner should then remind the coach that s/he has lost the privilege of the coaching box, if your state uses one.

Quote:
A6 (bench personel) yells at the ref and gets a technical foul. This means the head coach also gets an indirect. Correct me if I am wrong, but this only counts as 1 foul towards team foul count.
You're exactly right. Only the direct technical foul (assessed to A6) counts toward the team foul count. The coach's indirect is marked in the book, but does not count toward the bonus.

Quote:
How would you report this, do you say white 22, technical foul and then say indirect on white coach?
"White 22. Technical foul. The foul also applies indirectly to the coach. Please record it in the book."

Quote:
Finally, if a player who is disqualified gets a technical foul, what happens?
Same thing as the previous question.

Quote:
Question (2): If a coach presents roster at 15 minutes before game and then at 12 minutes wants to add a team member, is this still a technical foul even though before 10 minute mark?
Nope. No penalty until after the 10 minute mark.

Quote:
Question (3): If a team member becomes a player and then plays for 5 minutes, and then the officials realize he has the wrong number, is a technical foul still assesed or is it to late. Also, who is the technical given to?
Not too late. The penalty is assessed when it is discovered, or when the book has to be changed to match the player's number. The technical is assessed to the team, not the player.

Quote:
Question (4): Where do you officials look at when watching a player (arms and down?)
Arms and down is probably a good description. I'm going to try to look "through" (between) the players, rather than looking directly at just one in many cases. On a shot attempt, I'm watching the defender's position, hands and arms. I want to see if the defender has established legal guarding position, so that if there's a crash, I will know if it's a block or a charge.

Quote:
Also, when off-ball do you focus on one matchup or what? What are some tips about this can any of you help me with?
You can't just focus on one matchup, although that may be the best you can do at first. You have to find the matchups that are being contested. In other words, you don't need to pay too much attention to 2 guys just standing next to each other if there are two guys duking it out for position on the other block. There might even be two or three matchups that you need to monitor (especially if you're working 2-whistle). But for starting out, find one matchup and watch it from beginning to end. That will help you establish an "off-ball" mindset.

Quote:
Last Question: If A1 gets fouled and is about to get 2 shots. Then A1 gets a technical, what happens?
The great thing about high school rules is that all fouls are penalized in the order in which they occur. So in your case. A1 shoots the 2 FTs with no one on the lane. Then anyone from Team B shoots 2 FTs for the technical and Team B gets the ball at midcourt, opposite the table.

Best of luck in your upcoming season. Work hard!