The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 19, 2005, 06:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
It's more of an issue because previously the girls played in the fall and the boys played in the winter. Now there will be twice as many games to work in the winter with the same amount of officials. That's why it's an issue.

DUH!
Everyone in the country has to deal with the same thing. It should not be anymore of a problem for them as it is for everyone else.

DUUUUHHHHH!!!

Peace
Old Tue Apr 19, 2005, 08:12pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Michigan must have a real shortage of officials, sounds like they are thinking of running the same way just about every other state does so a major shortage of officials could be the only reason they would have such a problem with that format.
Old Tue Apr 19, 2005, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to lukealex
From what I have been hearing in my part of Michigan, boys and girls games will be on different nights, say boys on Tuesday and Friday, girls on Monday and Thursday, just an example. Games are done with 2 officials. I have also heard from a few athletic directors and game assignors that are asking varsity refs if they also wanted to do the JV game (most schools don't have a frosh team, due to size). In my opinion, this is hurting the younger officials by taking many JV games that would normally be given to younger officials. I would like to see 3 man crews work both games, which would give valuable experience to the third man, who hopefully would be a younger official. On another note, most assignors are planning for the worst and preparing to sign officials to games if Michigan returns to its girls in the fall and boys in the winter schedule.

My two cents
Old Tue Apr 19, 2005, 08:20pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
They only stagger the seasons by a week here in VT. It used to be Boys t/f, Girls m/th, but then that was deemd unfair. [Hockey was W/Sat] Then some of the larger schools added frosh teams. So, there are games going on 6 nights a week. Or 5 nights and Saturday morning/afternoon to be more precise. The only strain on officials seems to occur with postponements due to weather. About 2/3 of the games at the varsity level are 3 man. JV has rare 3 man crews.

I guess my advice would be to recruit like crazy.
Old Tue Apr 19, 2005, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to mcdanrd Send a message via AIM to mcdanrd Send a message via Yahoo to mcdanrd
In Oklahoma we've been doing two varsity games a night (girls at 6:30, followed by boys)for many many years.
Old Tue Apr 19, 2005, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
It's more of an issue because previously the girls played in the fall and the boys played in the winter. Now there will be twice as many games to work in the winter with the same amount of officials. That's why it's an issue.

DUH!
Everyone in the country has to deal with the same thing. It should not be anymore of a problem for them as it is for everyone else.

DUUUUHHHHH!!!
Wrong again. Virginia also had girls basketball in the fall and have now switched to the winter, so everyone in the country has not had "to deal with the same thing." It's a huge change for both states.

What you can't comprehende is that they've never had to deal with boys and girls playing during the same season. THEREFORE, THEY DON'T HAVE ENOUGH OFFIICALS TO SEND A SEPARATE CREW TO EVERY GAME. THAT'S WHY IT'S A PROBLEM!

Why is it that you have so much trouble understanding the simplest things?
Old Tue Apr 19, 2005, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

Why is everyone so crabby?
Old Tue Apr 19, 2005, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

I had seafood for dinner.
Old Tue Apr 19, 2005, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

Groan....

Old Tue Apr 19, 2005, 11:29pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

Wrong again. Virginia also had girls basketball in the fall and have now switched to the winter, so everyone in the country has not had "to deal with the same thing." It's a huge change for both states.

Good for them. My comment was very general, not really specific. I knew there was another state that played games in the fall and changed. It is not a problem for most states in the country. I do not see Michigan or Virginia as special places with special problems that cannot overcome working both girl's and boy's basketball in the very same season.

Quote:
What you can't comprehende is that they've never had to deal with boys and girls playing during the same season. THEREFORE, THEY DON'T HAVE ENOUGH OFFIICALS TO SEND A SEPARATE CREW TO EVERY GAME. THAT'S WHY IT'S A PROBLEM!

Why is it that you have so much trouble understanding the simplest things?
The bottom line Tony, I am not asking you anything. I am asking those that live in Michigan. The last time I checked you do not live in Michigan. You do not even live in the Midwest. I have not read anything that states they do not have enough officials to work games. Other than assumptions and fears, nothing has been said that illustrates the lack of numbers to cover games. I am also asking because unless someone has some numbers that just jump out at you, not sure they are in any different position than most states. It seems to work in many other states, not sure what is going on in Michigan that is preventing them from doing the same thing.

Are we talking about fear or a reality? This is not something I am asking you at all Tony. Rolling Eyes

Peace
Old Wed Apr 20, 2005, 02:40am
Official Forum Member

girls season

i officate in michigan primarily mid-eastern area around saginaw/bay city and the thumb area...we are being told that unless the courts reverse their decision that the season for the girls will change to match the boys...most assigners and athletic directors are preparing for both scenarios...problems arise with the different conferences scheduling the games on different days and times where non-league crossover games causing the most problems...many smaller schools will have problems with practice times due to 4 games a week seeing that they only have 1 gym...some are scheduling girls/boys contests the same day and many believe that the girls will suffer in crowd participation...change never comes easy and all of the afore mentioned problems can be corrected but at what cost...an often unmentioned problem will be getting good table help with 4 games a week versus 2 games a week. i look forward to the increased games on my scedule and the possibily of moving up the ladder.
Old Wed Apr 20, 2005, 06:06am
Official Forum Member

I officiate in northern VA and we made the change a couple of years ago and believe it or not, the world did not come to an end when we changed. VA uses the A, AA, and AAA classifications based on school enrollment. Only the A & AA girls played in the Fall. We had a number of officials that chose not to work the "Fall Season" for one reason or another. I always worked it because it only involved 1, maybe 2 games a week.

About 4-5 years ago, my association used a Girls Commissioner and a Boys Commissioner (we now have one). I always thought this was a royal PITA! The rule was if you were "designated" as a boys official, you had to work at least 4 games on the girls side, and vice versa, in order to get district playoff games. It always amazed me that some officials would give up the opportunity to officate in the distric tournament by refusing to work girls games. We have games 4-5 nights a week and it is usually the boys F/JV/V at one school and the girls at the other school. About 25% of the time, we have BV/GV doubleheadrs. My varsity schedule is mostly girls, and I don't mind a bit. The pay is the same (3-whistle on all varsity) and at my age (I'll be 62 next month) it is easier for me to get up and down the court with the ladies -- and that is in no way a put-down of the ladies, just reality. I also find in most cases that the players and coaches are easier to deal with.
Old Wed Apr 20, 2005, 07:41am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by canuckrefguy

Why is everyone so crabby?
Yup, everyone should follow the Chuck Elias mellowing-out method:
Old Wed Apr 20, 2005, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Okay Jeff, you've got it all figured out, even though you're not in Michigan. Good job.

But if you'll look, you'll see that there are MI officials here who are pointing out what the problems are.

[Edited by BktBallRef on Apr 20th, 2005 at 10:19 AM]
Old Wed Apr 20, 2005, 08:53am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by lukealex
In my opinion, this is hurting the younger officials by taking many JV games that would normally be given to younger officials.
In the western U.P., it appears that newer/younger (1st,2nd year) officials are being assigned varsity girls' games, while more experienced officials are being assigned boys' varsity games and are having fewer assignments to girls' varsity.
mick