View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 19, 2005, 02:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Re: What is the big deal?

Quote:
Originally posted by Robmoz

To dispel one impression, in Michigan, 3-man is used for most Varsity contests during the regular season.

There are many conferences that have 20+ teams. Basketball is HUGE in Michigan. Michigan 's total of 128,752 female participants rank only behind Texas , California and New York , the nation's top three states in total population and in females 14-17 years of age according to the U.S. Census Bureau.

There are 763 total high schools and 826 junior high middle schools in the MHSAA (as of Jan. 1, 2005)....for the math deficiendo's that's 1,589 teams which translates into 1,589 weekly games (assuming two nights per week). The 2003-04 girls participation total was a Michigan record for the second straight year, and the overall and boys participation figures were their second highest ever.

Further, many refs only work one night per week or refuse to work girls' games.

Yes, this can be and is a dilemma.

Illinois has over 800 High Schools (I do not have the exact number). In many school districts there are multiple JH compared for just one HS. I am not sure why this is any more of an issue than in my state or other places that have been playing both boy's and girl's basketball in the same season for years. Not sure why this would be a problem just in Michigan.

The issue is not the amount of players playing; the issue is the amount of games and coverage of those games. Basketball is huge here as well. Our state gives each class and genders their individual weekend to play their Championships. These games get covered. The main problem we have is officials are not as willing to work girl's basketball. The numbers are not the cause of that, the willingness to work girl's basketball is. Not much different than those that work baseball and softball. There are just people that have a preference and that is the way it is going to be.

Peace