View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 19, 2005, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Re: What is the big deal?

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Why is it difficult to play games on different nights or to get a different set of officials for each game?

Unless conferences are playing 50 games, can they not play games on specific nights? The biggest conferences might have 10-12 teams. The conference games are usually set on very specific nights. For example, Tuesday and Friday might be conference nights. Then Saturday is a typical non-conference night, which everyone does not always play. Now that is the boy's side. The girl's play basketball games usually on Monday, Wednesday and Thursdays. Some will play on Fridays and Saturdays as well. It has become popular to play Saturday afternoon games on the girl's side. Not only does it make it easy for the officials to work both a Girl's game and a Boy's game in the same day, but it also takes allows the crowds to support both if they choose to.

In my state teams are only allowed to play at the most 20 regular season games outside of tournaments or shootouts. At the most teams can only participate in 3 tournaments during the season. Unless a team goes deep into the playoffs, they will almost never play more than 30 games total.

It is not completely unusual that a school's program will only play once a week. Or the games are played on the weekends where more officials are available to work as a rule. I guess I am not understanding why this is such a difficult dilemma? I was also under the impression that Michigan does not work much 3 Person either. What is the problem? Why would it be so difficult to get enough officials to work a single varsity game?

Peace
To dispel one impression, in Michigan, 3-man is used for most Varsity contests during the regular season.

There are many conferences that have 20+ teams. Basketball is HUGE in Michigan. Michigan 's total of 128,752 female participants rank only behind Texas , California and New York , the nation's top three states in total population and in females 14-17 years of age according to the U.S. Census Bureau.

There are 763 total high schools and 826 junior high middle schools in the MHSAA (as of Jan. 1, 2005)....for the math deficiendo's that's 1,589 teams which translates into 1,589 weekly games (assuming two nights per week). The 2003-04 girls participation total was a Michigan record for the second straight year, and the overall and boys participation figures were their second highest ever.

Further, many refs only work one night per week or refuse to work girls' games.

Yes, this can be and is a dilemma.