View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 20, 2005, 06:06am
Official Forum Member

I officiate in northern VA and we made the change a couple of years ago and believe it or not, the world did not come to an end when we changed. VA uses the A, AA, and AAA classifications based on school enrollment. Only the A & AA girls played in the Fall. We had a number of officials that chose not to work the "Fall Season" for one reason or another. I always worked it because it only involved 1, maybe 2 games a week.

About 4-5 years ago, my association used a Girls Commissioner and a Boys Commissioner (we now have one). I always thought this was a royal PITA! The rule was if you were "designated" as a boys official, you had to work at least 4 games on the girls side, and vice versa, in order to get district playoff games. It always amazed me that some officials would give up the opportunity to officate in the distric tournament by refusing to work girls games. We have games 4-5 nights a week and it is usually the boys F/JV/V at one school and the girls at the other school. About 25% of the time, we have BV/GV doubleheadrs. My varsity schedule is mostly girls, and I don't mind a bit. The pay is the same (3-whistle on all varsity) and at my age (I'll be 62 next month) it is easier for me to get up and down the court with the ladies -- and that is in no way a put-down of the ladies, just reality. I also find in most cases that the players and coaches are easier to deal with.