View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 19, 2005, 01:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

What is the big deal?

Why is it difficult to play games on different nights or to get a different set of officials for each game?

Unless conferences are playing 50 games, can they not play games on specific nights? The biggest conferences might have 10-12 teams. The conference games are usually set on very specific nights. For example, Tuesday and Friday might be conference nights. Then Saturday is a typical non-conference night, which everyone does not always play. Now that is the boy's side. The girl's play basketball games usually on Monday, Wednesday and Thursdays. Some will play on Fridays and Saturdays as well. It has become popular to play Saturday afternoon games on the girl's side. Not only does it make it easy for the officials to work both a Girl's game and a Boy's game in the same day, but it also takes allows the crowds to support both if they choose to.

In my state teams are only allowed to play at the most 20 regular season games outside of tournaments or shootouts. At the most teams can only participate in 3 tournaments during the season. Unless a team goes deep into the playoffs, they will almost never play more than 30 games total.

It is not completely unusual that a school's program will only play once a week. Or the games are played on the weekends where more officials are available to work as a rule. I guess I am not understanding why this is such a difficult dilemma? I was also under the impression that Michigan does not work much 3 Person either. What is the problem? Why would it be so difficult to get enough officials to work a single varsity game?

Peace