The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 12:57am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by OverAndBack
The more I read about how some other states "do it," the more I feel fortunate to be in the state I'm in. And I never would have thought that was possible, given that most things about this state (just in general) are so bass-ackward.
YOU!!! I have been saying this for years.

The state telling schools what to pay officials. The official's association telling officials what basketball games they can and cannot work. In this state we can work anywhere we want to and anywhere we do not. Some conferences or schools pay more money than others, but I do not do it for the money. I just want my expenses covered. Gas is not getting any cheaper. To constantly clean my uniform also costs money and to buy new stuff cost money. I also put an enormous amount of mileage on my car I would not if I stayed home and watched basketball rather than officiate it. Just like any skill we should be paid for the time we spend doing it. I just do not get bent out of shape over 10-15 dollars. If I did I would try to work all the college I could get my hands on. Even then I would drive myself crazy trying to get upset over 10-15 dollars.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 01:46am
Official Forum Member

Re: since 90% of the officials ref for the

Quote:
Originally posted by Boiler14
What are the "right reasons"?

Anything that has to do with the love of the game. Most officials I know are like me... they could stay a half hour after work and make more money than the game fee and travel they get for spending the 6 hours that it takes once they leave for the game until they get home that night.

If we didn't get paid at all, I'd still do some games... just not 2-5 nights a week because I couldn't hand my wife a vacation check at the end of the season to help make up for the nights I'm gone.

I know people who do it for the money and IMHO, they aren't doing the H.S. game any good.

Z
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 01:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IowaMike
I wouldn't do this for free.
Then I guess it would be fair to say you wouldn't do it if it cost you money, right?

Well, it does cost me money to officiate some days.

I officiate in WA...same as zebraman...and he is correct in stating that we had no say in our fees being reduced by 1/3 because we went to 3-whistle.

All of our leagues around here, the southwest part of the state, do 3-whistle...all the way from B to 4A.

(The following happened to me last week...I don't know if I'm bragging or complaining)

We voted in a new assignor for our association this year.
He is doing an excellent job...but, he
has a slightly different philosophy than our retired assignor from last year.
Our new assignor feels that the top officials should be working on a slow night...even if it is a B school. He also feels that the top officials should "see" every school.
Our old assignor might "throw a bone" to some of the up and comming officials, and give them a small school Varsity game to keep them happy, etc.
As a result...I am "seeing" schools that I have not worked in 10 years. i.e. small christian schools, private schools and some out of the way B schools.

Anyway...I was scheduled to work a small country B school last tuesday night with two other officials in my association. They have been around for 15+ years and weren't exactly looking forward to it.
The team is not very good (lost by 50) and it was a long drive (1 hour)in the fog. On the way up one of my partner's said, "If I was driving, I would turn around...they could just get the girl's officials to do our game. This road is to dangerous." (In fact, a car rolled over on the way home and we had to dodge emergency vehicles while driving down the long hill from the school)
I kept driving and we made it uneventfully.
As I stated the game was a blow out, the teams were bad, and the driving conditions sucked.
I could have turned in the game and worked overtime where I work and made $480. But no...I worked the game and made $30 bucks (plus mileage)...I lost money.
But, you know what...I still have fun doing this advocation. It gets in our blood. There are a lot of reasons we do this...one of them could be the competition.
Yes, us competitive people like it to see how far we can go. Is that for the "wrong reasons"...heck, I don't know, but for me, it is only one of the reasons.
Ok, enough rambling...btw, I'm at work getting paid right now to ramble about officiating...What a life!
Richland, WA
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 02:44am
Official Forum Member

Nevada is $55 per official for 2-man and $45 per official for 3-man. Both are paid the same travel.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

in Alabama, the state sets the maximum amount any local association can charge a member school for each level of play (Varsity down to Junior High). The state also requires all varsity level games be 3 man crews.

The state allows schools the option for 2 or 3 man crews on all sub-varsity level games.

However, our local association made some concessions the first couple of years on all sub-varsity level games. The fee for Junior High games was $25 a game. $25 x 2 (officials) = $50. Our local association board convinced all of our contracted schools to allocate $60 per game, $10 increase ($20 per official), so that our newer/younger officials could get trained working 3 man mechanics which will hopefully have them much more prepared to make the jump to the varsity level a lot quicker.

We then contracted for the full price (25 per game) for a year, then, the following year proration hit the schools statewide. Our schools were looking for every possible place they could to save $$, so they wanted to go back to 2 man. Again, they agreed to allow $60 per game instead of $50 and keep the 3 man crews. We're now back to $25 per man a game on 9th grade and lower, $30 on JV, and $35 for Varsity.