View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 01:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IowaMike
I wouldn't do this for free.
Then I guess it would be fair to say you wouldn't do it if it cost you money, right?

Well, it does cost me money to officiate some days.

I officiate in WA...same as zebraman...and he is correct in stating that we had no say in our fees being reduced by 1/3 because we went to 3-whistle.

All of our leagues around here, the southwest part of the state, do 3-whistle...all the way from B to 4A.

(The following happened to me last week...I don't know if I'm bragging or complaining)

We voted in a new assignor for our association this year.
He is doing an excellent job...but, he
has a slightly different philosophy than our retired assignor from last year.
Our new assignor feels that the top officials should be working on a slow night...even if it is a B school. He also feels that the top officials should "see" every school.
Our old assignor might "throw a bone" to some of the up and comming officials, and give them a small school Varsity game to keep them happy, etc.
As a result...I am "seeing" schools that I have not worked in 10 years. i.e. small christian schools, private schools and some out of the way B schools.

Anyway...I was scheduled to work a small country B school last tuesday night with two other officials in my association. They have been around for 15+ years and weren't exactly looking forward to it.
The team is not very good (lost by 50) and it was a long drive (1 hour)in the fog. On the way up one of my partner's said, "If I was driving, I would turn around...they could just get the girl's officials to do our game. This road is to dangerous." (In fact, a car rolled over on the way home and we had to dodge emergency vehicles while driving down the long hill from the school)
I kept driving and we made it uneventfully.
As I stated the game was a blow out, the teams were bad, and the driving conditions sucked.
I could have turned in the game and worked overtime where I work and made $480. But no...I worked the game and made $30 bucks (plus mileage)...I lost money.
But, you know what...I still have fun doing this advocation. It gets in our blood. There are a lot of reasons we do this...one of them could be the competition.
Yes, us competitive people like it to see how far we can go. Is that for the "wrong reasons"...heck, I don't know, but for me, it is only one of the reasons.
Ok, enough rambling...btw, I'm at work getting paid right now to ramble about officiating...What a life!
Richland, WA