View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

Re: bellyache, what an appropriate name!

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by bellyache
the reason i ask some schools here are starting to split the normal purse three ways. this really makes it not worth working v games since most we travel a min of 1 and half hours or more away. we always have seperate crews for jv. we can work jv games close to home and make 40 to 50 or travel, get home later and make 40 to 50. easy math huh!
Is that why you're in it, for the money?

I want the big game. I want the highest level of play. I want the best players. I want the best atmosphere. I want the intensity.

If you don't, you can probably work JV games, close to home, the rest of your career. Just tell your assignor.

Now, I'm not trying to be ugly or cynical but that's what you're sounding like. If your association is truly interested in addressing the situation, then have the assignor tell the schools what the game fee will be for 3 man. Don't let them tell you. "If you want 3 man, it's $XX per official. Otherwise, we send 2 officials."

However, you should expect some pay decrease for 3 man versus 2. If 2 get $60 each, then it's not unfair to expect $50 each for 3 man.

[Edited by BktBallRef on Jan 30th, 2005 at 07:35 PM]
The only problem with your suggestion Tony is that doesn't work that way around here. In Washington State, the game fees are set at the STATE level. We're on a 3-year trial system and the 3-person fee is basically 2/3rd the pay of a 2-person fee for our officials. Since we are already one of the lowest paid states around, I don't know of a single official in WA that is not irritated and rightly so. The officials I know love doing 3-person but they thought the schools should have had to shoulder a little of the burden too. (so that we were paid a little less for 3-person, but not 1/3rd less). Very few officials in our state are "in it for the money" because it doesn't make financial sense for anyone to do it. You truly have to love the game to want to spend your entire evening at a school (evaluating the JV game etc.) for $33.00 a night, but we do it. However, at some point the pay becomes so low that it's almost insulting. I want the big game. I want the highest level of play. I want the best players. I want the best atmosphere. I want the intensity. And I want a little respect too. There is a balance in there somewhere and right now Washington State officials are being asked to shoulder too much of it. We're doing it and for all the right reasons, but that doesn't mean that we think that it's all wonderful and rosy.

Z