View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: bellyache, what an appropriate name!

Originally posted by BktBallRef
That's a totally differtent situation, Z. He said, "...some schools here are starting to split the normal purse three ways..." Some schools is not the state association. I was addressing his post, not all situations everywhere.

Understood.

Sounds to me like someone in Washington should have grown some balls before this was ever agreed upon.

You'd have to understand the dynamics of how Washington State works to realize how this was crammed down our throats (I'm not going to get into the organizational structure of the WIAA and WOA and all that). Basically, we voted down this proposal three years ago (officials were willing for some reduction in pay to do 3-person, but not 1/3rd less). The schools said, "we're happy with 2-person and we don't want 3-person if it costs us one penny more."

The WIAA/WOA waited 3 years and then crammed what we rejected (3-person using the 2-person rate split 3 ways) down our throats. Long story.... basically, officials aren't happy about the fees or the process, but 3-person is good for the game and for the athletes and since 90% of the officials ref for the "right reasons," we are all just biting our tongues (for the most part) for 3 years. There is no process for officials to challenge a WOA/WIAA decision. After the 3-year trial period, rates will go up if the schools decide to adopt 3-person. If not, it's back to 2-person for regular season and 3-person for district and state.

Z