View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

since 90% of the officials ref for the "right reasons,"

What are the "right reasons"?

I don't want to come off as a jerk since you can tell by my posts that I haven't been around the forum. However, as a licensed official for 17 years, I do have the experience.

There are refs who work the games for money. As stated, those who don't do it for the money seem to take the money anyway.

Some do it to stay close to the game.

Some do it for a challenge.

Some do it because it is fun.

Some will say they do it for the kids. This one gets me because it goes back to the paid idea. There are some who do games for free at clubs and such. They must be doing it for the kids because my time to myself and my family ranks much higher than officiating for free.

I've read enough in this forum to realize a few of you are going to rip me apart for posting something like this, but I truly get tired of hearing guys say they do it for the kids. They might like to be around them and that may be a better answer.

So why do I officiate? Well, I officiate school ball because it is the challenge. Every play is a challenge. Every call and non call is a challenge. Handling coaches is a challenge. The environment in schools from JH to Varsity is fun. The money is okay to offset my time and travel.

Why do I officiate AAU? Money. Sorry, $20 to $25 a game and doing 4 to 6 a day is a good day's work, plain and simple. HOWEVER, all the challenges are still there, and that is what makes it enjoyable.