View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GregAlan
I worked a junior high girls' game last night.

Blue team has ball OOB for throw-in under their basket. Blue player inbounds the ball in the key. Red player intercepts the pass, and shoots at the blue team's basket. The shot doesn't go in, and the red player rebounds her missed shot, and then starts to go up for another attempt. My partner blows his whistle for dead ball, and starts to give the ball back to the blue team for another OOB throw-in. The red team's coach starts yelling, and says we should have left well alone and not blown the whistle. He says his team should have the ball OOB as his player had possession when the whistle was blown.

I figure we blew the call, but what is the correct call here? And if we didn't blow the whistle and the red player had scored in the blue team's basket, then what? I have read this a few times, but my muddled brain can't remember.

GregAlan
You start a 10 second back court count. If they dribble, "shoot" and catch the ball, without it touching another player, or "shoot" catch and dribble you have a double dribble. If they make the shot, you blow your whistle, count the basket for the other team and give the ball to the team that made the basket at the wrong goal, with the endline to run.