View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Questions for Clarification

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by rwest
These statements/questions assume the player is shooting at the wrong basket. Correct me where I'm wrong. If you can, provide the rule and/or case play.

1. If the player has not ended her dribble, then throwing the ball against the backboard does not constitute an illegal dribble. I back this up with Case 4.15.4 which clearly states that the dribble came to an end. I'm assuming this would not be a violation if the opposite where true, that the player did not start and then end a dribble. In this situation the player could only throw the ball against the backboard once. Also she could not dribble after catching the ball, but the initial throw is not a violation.
If the player has not dribbled, throwing the ball off the opponent's backboard and touching the ball constitutes a legal dribble. If the "touching" is also "catching" then the player cannot dribble again.

Quote:
2. Does the ball have to hit only the backboard to be considered the start of a dribble? What if it hits only the rim or the backboard and then the rim or the rim and then the backboard? Sorry I'm being too anal here, but I'm wondering if it makes a difference.
The rim is not covered in the rules. Treat the resulting play as if the ball had not hit the rim.

Quote:
3. If the player had ended her dribble and throws toward the wrong goal, when do you call the violation? If it hits the backboard do you kill it then and call an illegal dribble? What if it hits the rim? Or do you wait until she catches it?
It's not an immediate violation to end the dribble, then throw the ball off the floor, is it? It's only a violation to then touch the ball. Same with the backboard. (IOW, it doesn't become a dribble until the ball is retouched)

Quote:
4. Could A travel only be called if she attempted a shot and missed everything and them moved her feet in getting the ball? There could be no travel if she did not move both feet, correct? A pass to oneself, if it doesn't hit the ground, is considered a travel or illegal dribble?
It's not necessary to move "both feet". We only care about the pivot foot.

Right, I was assuming a situation in which a pivot foot had not been established. But I can't think of a situation that that would apply at this time. So, never mind. But would a pass to oneself be considered a travel or an illegal dribble? Is this similar to throwing the ball over a defenders head and catching it before it hits the ground? That is an illegal dribble, correct?