View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by GregAlan
I worked a junior high girls' game last night.

Blue team has ball OOB for throw-in under their basket. Blue player inbounds the ball in the key. Red player intercepts the pass, and shoots at the blue team's basket. The shot doesn't go in, and the red player rebounds her missed shot, and then starts to go up for another attempt. My partner blows his whistle for dead ball, and starts to give the ball back to the blue team for another OOB throw-in. The red team's coach starts yelling, and says we should have left well alone and not blown the whistle. He says his team should have the ball OOB as his player had possession when the whistle was blown.

I figure we blew the call, but what is the correct call here? And if we didn't blow the whistle and the red player had scored in the blue team's basket, then what? I have read this a few times, but my muddled brain can't remember.

GregAlan
Legalistically speaking, partner shouldn't have blown and should have begun a 10-second count. There's no reason to stop play until the 10-second count is up, or until the ball goes in the basket. If she makes the shot, the score counts for blue, and red gets the ball oob.

Once your partner blew there were no good choices. Giving the ball back to blue doesn't seem right. But then neither is giving it to red. I think you have to go with the arrow, and hope everyone forgets about the whole thing.