The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 06, 2004, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
And like several other plays that we've gone on and on page after page about, most of us will never see this in the next 5 years.
Old Thu May 06, 2004, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
And like several other plays that we've gone on and on page after page about, most of us will never see this in the next 5 years.

I think that's often why these are the longest, and - IMO - many times the best, discussions.
Old Thu May 06, 2004, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Speaking of once every 5 years type plays, the one & only time I saw a BI off a free throw I kicked it by signalling 2 points instead of 1 - force of habit I guess. Half of the coaches participating in the game quietly smiled, half of them weren't so quiet.

Moral of the story: gotta be ready for anything.
Old Thu May 06, 2004, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:

I think that's often why these are the longest, and - IMO - many times the best, discussions.
So what did we decide? It's a dribble...but it's not, it's a pass...but it wasn't to another player, so it's a dribble...but it's not, so it is traveling...but there is no player control, so it can't be that...it's, never mind.
Old Thu May 06, 2004, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
Quote:
Quote:

So what did we decide? It's a dribble...but it's not, it's a pass...but it wasn't to another player, so it's a dribble...but it's not, so it is traveling...but there is no player control, so it can't be that...it's, never mind.
Tastes great...less filling...not a dribble.
Old Thu May 06, 2004, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
I guess until I see a direct prohibition of something, I let it go. I'd rather defend a no-call with "It's not prohibited" than defend a violation call with, "I think it should be illegal and I can stretch a couple of rules to prove it."
Agreeing with Juulie's summary of 'not seeing in the next 5 years' classification, I like this position of Snaqwells--and should I see the play sitch in the next 5 years that is how I intend to deal with it.
Old Thu May 06, 2004, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
Quote:
Quote:

I think it's each man (woman, Chuck) to his (her, its) own.
Old Thu May 06, 2004, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Speaking of once every 5 years type plays, the one & only time I saw a BI off a free throw I kicked it by signalling 2 points instead of 1 - force of habit I guess. Half of the coaches participating in the game quietly smiled, half of them weren't so quiet.

At least you called something - I was so shocked about the BI that I didn't award the points, call the T, or signal the lane violation.
Old Thu May 06, 2004, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

At least you called something - I was so shocked about the BI that I didn't award the points, call the T, or signal the lane violation.
Which, as of last year is not a T. Only GT on a FT is a T.
Old Thu May 06, 2004, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: But.....

Quote:
Originally posted by just another ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:
Originally posted by just another ref
just because something starts out to be one thing, it can turn out to be something else. If a pass from outside the arc goes in the basket, it is no longer a pass, it is a three point field goal. If you throw a pass and then run and catch it yourself, it is no longer a pass but a dribble, if you had one, or a travel, if you did not.
This is not at all true.

A pass that goes in from outside the arc is NOT a try. It is simply counted as three points. There are several ways points can be scored in the absence of a try. This is one of them.
Never said it was a try, I said it was a field goal.5-2-1
...thrown ball....by a player....located behind (the 3point
line) counts three points. Is this not a field goal, even though it was intended as a pass?

Fair enough...you didn't say try. However, if it goes into the basket, it is a goal and never was a pass. It's just a thrown ball.

Quote:

Quote:
Also, the ball that is thrown and caught by the same player never was a pass. It was a dribble all along, it just takes until the ball is again touched to make the determination. A pass has to be to another player. If it doesn't go to another player, it's not a pass.
The guy was throwing it to another player, but he wasn't looking, so the first player retrieved it himself. So, as you say, we must wait for the second touch to make a determination and, possibly, a call. My point was that this player's original intention was to make a pass.

Now having said all this, one question is what this player in the situation at hand intends when he rolls the ball on the floor. But, as proven by the above examples, his original intent is not really important but the question is the legality of the second touch after rolling the ball. I
believe that I personally would treat this the same as if the player had thrown a pass and retrieved it himself.
Like most rules, intent doesn't matter. Most times, a player doesn't intend to foul. Should we not call the foul simply becasue a player didn't intend to make contact.

The only thing we have available, in most cases, is action. What actually occured? Doesn't matter how it happened. This is consistent with the thrown ball that goes in the basket. The intent doesn't matter, only the fact that it went in.

Sometimes, we have to delay a decision in order to determine.
Is it is a pass or dribble? Depends on who touches it next.

Is it a carry or the end of the dribble? Must wait to see if the dribble again.

Is it a travel or not when the pivot foot is lifted? Have to wait to see if the player passes, shoots, or dribbles.
Old Thu May 06, 2004, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:

Which, as of last year is not a T. Only GT on a FT is a T.
Happened 2 seasons ago . . .