Thread: Why or Why not?
View Single Post
Old Wed May 05, 2004, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

Gentlemen

I have very much enjoyed the discussion so far and would add some points.

First, tossing the ball in the air, taking steps, and then catching the ball before it hits the floor is referred to as an illegal dribble in the casebook 4.15.4.E (b).

You say a player has control while batting the ball to the floor while dibbling. I agree.

If the dribbler allows the ball to bounce more than once, is it now an interrupted dribble? or is he still in control? How many bounces must there be before PC is lost? Can you lose PC on the initial bounce of the start of the dribble? or do you have to bounce it once to prove a dribble was started?

I hope we can agree that the ball can bounce more than once between touches by the dribbler.

Maybe I am wrong for doing this, but to me the basic definition of the legal dribble for a player who has PC is purposely releasing the ball (though batting, throwing, etc.), ball touches the floor, you direct the ball with a bat (or not), and the dribble ends when the ball comes to rest in one or both of the hands of the dribbler. This all assumes no defensive interference and the ball stays in bounds.

Does rolling the ball fit this criteria? Yes - except the only place where the board does not have consensus is in the manner of release. Just because the ball starts near or at the floor when the release is done, some argue that it does not fit the definition of the start of the dribble. Is there a difference if the initial push was done like a little kid trying to roll a bowling ball or if the release was 1 mm off the floor? They can look silimar, but does it make a difference for the purposes of starting a dribble? Certainly the ball rolling across the floor is bouncing - although the bounces are extremely small. But in theory, A1 could begin batting the ball enough that is would begin to look like a more conventional dribble.

Personally, I think a dribble has started.