The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 09:32am
Huck Finn

Hawks Coach let's look at these "facts."

Whining coach + the best recruiting for the last 15 years by far (followed by North Carolina) + TV analysts that are clearly biased = Duke - only 3 championships in this time frame = WE ARE SICK OF THEM!

Let me look into my crystal ball, the pre-season #1 team will be uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Duke!
Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 09:42am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun

Whining coach + the best recruiting for the last 15 years by far (followed by North Carolina) + TV analysts that are clearly biased = Duke - only 3 championships in this time frame = WE ARE SICK OF THEM!

Let me look into my crystal ball, the pre-season #1 team will be uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Duke!
Am I the only one who got some perverse joy watching the kid cry at the end of the game?

Actually am in Madison now, so I've been following Wisconsin pretty closely. I think the committee gave Wisconsin the #6 seed to put them closer to home. Kind of a backhanded reward. They also get Richmond and then (likely) Pittsburgh, provided they past the Spiders. Not a bad draw, really.

I really thought that winning the Big 10 tourney would get them a 3 seed, though. The fact that Illinois was seeded higher shows that the committee clearly didn't wait until the late games were done, as some suggested earlier in the thread.
Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Why can't they wait? [/B]
Hmmmm, I thought I answered that question, didn't I?

The Big `10 game didn't end until 5:35pm. The show was at 6:00. CBS has to receive the brackets in time to prepare their TV graphics and [re[are their analysts. My guess is that CBS gets the brackets at least an hour before the show starts, maybe longer.

I bet we see a change next year, since the Chairman admitted such on live TV.

[Edited by Bart Tyson on Mar 15th, 2004 at 10:07 AM]
Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
If you were in the Big 12 area you might have a little different take on the Tourney seeding and where they have to play over the yrs. I might also add the Pac 10 get the short end of some of these seeding over the yrs.
I would have had no problem with OSU being a #1. I'm certainly no Duke fan. But the fact remains that if you've been in the top 5 all year long, your chances are much better at getting a #1 seed.

The #1 seeds were chosen the very first thing, when the hardcore seeding began at 2:40pm. At that time, Duke still had not lost to Maryland. That game endedalmost any hour later. According to the Chairman, the seedings were complete by 4pm, at which time they started the bracket placements. The Big 12 game was over until later.

The Big 12 routinely gets good seeding. Look at Kansas and Texas this year. As for the PAC-10, they deserve the short end of the stick. Outside of Arizona and Stanford, the PAC-10 doesn't consistently placed teams in position to be high seeds.

[Edited by BktBallRef on Mar 15th, 2004 at 10:08 AM]
Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 10:45am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
[/B]
Am I the only one who got some perverse joy watching the kid cry at the end of the game?

[/B][/QUOTE]Nope!
Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 10:50am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser

[/B]
Nope! [/B][/QUOTE]

Double Nope!

Why did a team with so many loses remain in the top 5 anyway?
Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I am from Illinois, spent 20 yrs there, then lived in Michigan for 10 years. I am a big-time, Big Ten fan in ACC country. My family is all-Big Ten.

I attended Michigan, as did my wife and father. My brother, sister, and bother in-law all attended Illinois. My cousins and uncle, MSU.

So I am a Big Ten fan, but I am also a realist. As for Duke. . .

I HATE Duke. (see part about attending the university of C-Web)

As for your post. . .
I missed the part of your list that showed the other teams with 3 NCAA championships in the past 15 years.

I also missed the part in your post about the fact that Duke won an unprecedented 5 straight ACC championships.

I also missed the part about Coach K being second on the list of consecutive Final Four appearances (and I believe that making the Final Four is validation of your 1 seed).

I also missed the part about how Duke has made the Final Four 8 times since 1988, and elite 8 one additional year. Thats better than anybody else in that same time. KU - nowhere close under Roy Williams. Kentucky has 4 FFs and 4 regional finals. Arizona has 4 FFs and 2 regional finals. Please, for the Duke hater in me, tell me what team has done better than Duke in the NCAA over the past 15 years, and what current coach with more than 15 appearances has a record anywhere near Coach K's.

Hate all you want, but do so knowing the facts. He may whine, but he also wins more, and more consistently, than anybody.
Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Why did a team with so many loses remain in the top 5 anyway?
All but one of their losses were to ACC teams, one each to NC ST, Wake, G tech, and MD, all of hwhom are in, and deserve to be in, the Top 25. They beat 5 tournament teams outside the ACC, and beat each of the above teams at least once. Name another quality conference that plays a double round robin. Oops, there isn't one.

Duke lost one game outside of conference, went 13-3 in the toughest conference in the country (especially given you get every team twice), and lost an overtime tournament game. Again, I hate Duke, like nothing better than to see them lose, but I recognize success when I see it.

Name one other team that has consistently justified it's #1 seed.
Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Hawks Coach, since you go by facts, and I do respect you for pointing out the facts, please point to the facts that put Duke ahead of Okla. St.?
Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Well Bart, yes and no!

OSU game time and NCAA screwy arrangements. I can't defend the non-selection of OSU as a 1 seed beyond what was said here already and admitted last night by the chair of the selection committee. I can say that Duke should be a 1 or 2 seed, doesn't matter much to me.

I heard it suggested today that CBS air 60 Minutes first and run the selection show later, which I think is a great idea. Either that, or finish the conference tournaments in time to count all games. It is ridiculous to have two finals that counted for nothing unless a bubble team was going to win (which wasn't the case this year).

The other oddity of this year's bracket was the politically correct decision of making St. Joes a #1 seed. It appears that Duke was not the lowest on the "S Curve," but it was a choice between Duke and OSU because they held spots for Stanford and St. Joes as sacrosanct. If Duke is higher on the S curve, then why is it a choice between Duke and OSU?

The whole thing is political in the end, and anybody with a 1, 2, or 3 seed this year is pretty powerful, and there is a lot stacked after that level as well. This is an extremely balanced year and should make for interesting brackets by the end of the weekend.
Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

The point is Duke went 6-4 in their last 10 games. How can you go 6-4 in the last week and a half or whatever and still be one of the top 4 teams in the country. If you are not even your confrence champion that is one team ahead of you.

The comitee is just like Dick Vitale. They are both all about the ACC. You listen to Vitale call a game between an ACC school and a non ACC school. It is so obvious that he is rooting for the ACC.
Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

what story do you want to tell? Duke went 6-2 in their last 8 games, and that was the last 3 weeks. All of their last 10 games (beginning 2/15) were against tournament teams, 2 NIT, 8 NCAA. Again, please show me a team that played this schedule during this last month?

Against teams that are playing this week, they went a combined 19-5. How many teams played a schedule that had 24 games against post-season teams? I'm sorry, I forgot they had an easy road.

I still think they are a two seed, but that also means 1 is not the strech you make it out to be.

As for the ACC bias of the commitee, I wonder how they do that with representatives of all the conference. I guess the Big Ten guys really just want to see ACC teams up there. Vitale biased - absolutely. The committee biased toward one major conference - not. And this year, 12 non-majors got at large bids, so I think that the major conference bias in general is getting to be less and less.
Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 12:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs down Give me a break!!!

A conference is should not be built on one team. If you are truly a great conference, you should not have one team that dominates it. Take Duke out of the ACC, you do not have much to speak for. There has been no kind of domination in the Big Ten, because every year a different team gets much better and makes an impact. Wow, Duke has 3 NC. So does Indiana. Michigan has been in the Final Four many times, outside of the Fab 5. They lost to Isiah Thomas when Indiana won in 1980. Indiana has been several times. Wisconsin was and Michigan were there two years in a row, recently. Oklahoma State won their conference tournament, they should have the #1 seed. Duke only got the seed because of history and making some fans happy. They did not deserve it. How many teams could lose 4 of their last 10 and get a #1 seed? Would they even consider Stanford #1 seed if they lost their last 4 contests? Duke deserves all their accomplishments that happen in the past, they earned them. But to make North Carolina and Maryland such great programs, no matter what they do is really silly. I am tired of hearing about how great this conference is when they have sub-par teams. Duke went undefeated in their conference play and lost to sorry Indiana on their way to the National Championship game. Indiana has never won a single Big Ten Tournament under Bob Knight or Butch Davis. But they were good enough to beat Duke on the way to the Final Four. I cannot think of when a Big Ten team has ever gone undeafeated in conference play. And I am talking about National Championship teams (Michigan, Michigan St., Indiana). When Michigan won the National Championship in 1989, they were not a very good team in conference, but ran the table in the field of 64 and won it all (FAB 5 was not their yet).

And what is this about Maryland?

From the Maryland scedule, courtesy ESPN.com

12/2 No. 10 Wisconsin W 73-67 4-0
12/10 at Florida W 69-68 5-2

From the last poll in December, at which time Maryland was a "bubble" team:

25. Maryland 6-2 62pts (next team had 29 points - not exactly close)
Last Week:
This Week: Def. NC Greensboro 85-58 (12/23), Lost to Florida State 79-75 (12/28)

Oh, I am sorry. Let's not bring facts into the argument!

The facts are that almost everyone said that Maryland was not going to make the tournament. If they did not win the ACC Tournament, they were not making it, just like Florida St. They made it because of an automatic bid, but to seed a team 4th that not right and you know it. Maryland had beat Florida when they were #1 I believe, but where are they now in the rankings? But remember, before Maryland won the NC, they used to be a cronic first round casuality. It used to be a given that Maryland would be watching after their first game. And it might happen this year as well. But then again I see a lot of ACC teams that might not survive the first or second rounds.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 12:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
what story do you want to tell? Duke went 6-2 in their last 8 games, and that was the last 3 weeks. All of their last 10 games (beginning 2/15) were against tournament teams, 2 NIT, 8 NCAA. Again, please show me a team that played this schedule during this last month?

Who cares about their last 8 games? Their last 10 is what the committee supposedly uses to put teams in the tournament and where they seed them. They lost 4 games and did not win their conference tournament. You should not get a #1 seed doing that. At least St. Joes and Stanford only lost one in that period of time. And St. Joes is going to lose really early when they play a team with some size and ability. They live too much by the 3 to win a NC in my opinion. But this is not about the Big Ten for me. They got what they earned and deserve. But to make Maryland a #4 seed and Duke a #1 seed with what they did this year, is rather silly to me.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

To satisfy my own curiosity, I took a quick glance at OSU. I see 16 games vs postseason teams, with a 13-3 record. Of those games, 7 were against NIT teams, 9 against NCAA teams, against whom they were 7-2. Duke played 8 NCAA teams in the last month of their schedule alone, and admittedly went 4-4 - not that impressive. However, they played 18 games and went 13-5 overall against NCAA competition - in other words, they played twice as many NCAA teams as OSU, and they played more NCAA teams than OSU had NCAA and NIT combined.

OSU played 7 out of their last 10 against tournament teams, but 3 were NIT, so they had 4 games in one month against NCAA tournament competition. Duke played 4 NCAA teams in a row during this same stretch. The only time OSU played any b2b games against NCAA teams was in their conference tournament. Slightly different situation, wouldn't you agree?

Still think OSU earned a 1 seed, but again, there are many sides to this.