Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Is DUKE still overrated

Quote:
Originally posted by dblref
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
and St joe's is inspired by ACC's Packer.

St. Joe's being from what conference?

Anyone?

Anyone?

O.K., since nobody else would bite. St. Joe's is from the Atlantic 10 -- the same as your school, Georgetown.
Part I - correct
Part II -
Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cmathews
when did Georgetown move to the A-10??? Aren't they still in the "big" east...
They might as well move down to the A-10, they've been playing worse than St. Bonnaventure as of late.

George Washington plays Georgetown annually in women's basketball, and we (the students, at least) want to see an annual game against Georgetown's men's team. One theory floated as to why GU refuses is that, if they were to lose to GW, that would be the end of their storied basketball program.

Bottom line - in D.C. proper, GW men are on their way up, and GU men are on their way down.
Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

I missed you guys all weekend, but I had to go to Vegas. Man was it hot down there. I paid for my whole weekend by putting $50 on Nevada to beat Gonzaga. Didn't get to see the game yet, but have it on tape. In fact, I have 3 days of tapes to go through now that I am home.

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
In fact, the only team, THE ONLY TEAM west of Oklahoma still in the Tournament is Nevada.
Best in the WEST, baby! Gaining some national respect. ACC team up next. Tough task. I'm hoping that the magic continues. Maybe the St. Louis crowd will get behind the underdog. The crowd has a big impact on this Nevada team. They could match up with Kansas for the right to go to the Final Four. Nevada crushed Kansas earlier this year!
Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Best in the WEST, baby!
That ain't saying much!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Mar 23, 2004, 02:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
They might as well move down to the A-10, they've been playing worse than St. Bonnaventure as of late.

George Washington plays Georgetown annually in women's basketball, and we (the students, at least) want to see an annual game against Georgetown's men's team. One theory floated as to why GU refuses is that, if they were to lose to GW, that would be the end of their storied basketball program.

Bottom line - in D.C. proper, GW men are on their way up, and GU men are on their way down.
Ok, first some info.
1. I attended G'town, Mark goes to George Washington.
2. The Hoyas have been a Big East member since the league was founded. GW plays in the Atlantic 10.
3. The scheduling problem is something that annoys even the Georgetown folks. I blame it all on John Thompson. Back in the 80s, his philosophy was to beat up on a bunch of nobodys at the start of the season to run his record up to 11-0 and build confidence in the players. Therefore, the Hoyas rarely played Maryland, Virginia, or anybody else good even though they were nearby. They did the same thing this year. Thankfully, the school fired Esherick (a longtime Thompson asst.) so maybe the scheduling will start to change. I would like to see annual games against GW, MD, and UVA. The days of playing a weak non-conference schedule and depending upon the Big East play to earn an NCAA bid are over.
Old Tue Mar 23, 2004, 05:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Best in the WEST, baby!
That ain't saying much!
Ok, you're right. I'll change that to still in the tournament and UNC isn't! Better?
Old Tue Mar 23, 2004, 06:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

I know you attend GWU and not GU. Just wanted to "yank your chain" a bit. GU might not be on the way down if they hire a coach that doesn't have ties to John Thompson. He had some very good years, but that era is over. Same thing happened at UCLA after Wooden. I have read recently that GU is hoping to get the guy from Manhattan.
Old Tue Mar 23, 2004, 06:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Just yanking Mark's chain a bit since he attends GWU and not GU.
Old Mon Mar 29, 2004, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Talking I know they made the Final Four . . .

. . . but I am sure that Duke must still be overrated. It was only the other three number 1 seeds (whose season is now over) that deserved those seeds. Once again, Duke is the only number 1 seed to validate their position. Lucky I guess.

Oh, and where is the under-represented Big Ten? Their only Final Four team is my alma mater, but that is the NIT. ACC has two at last count.
Old Mon Mar 29, 2004, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Finally, Duke will have to play a respectable team. Oh, and somehow, it will be a gutsy performance with the BADLY BRUISED RIBS.
Old Mon Mar 29, 2004, 06:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
Finally, Duke will have to play a respectable team. Oh, and somehow, it will be a gutsy performance with the BADLY BRUISED RIBS.
I will admit that the bruised ribs are becoming a 'pain' in the rear but what about John Lucas the III and his 'famous father' WHO CARES? The announcers need to let the kid play basketball and quit talking about his Famous Father and Baylor!
Old Mon Mar 29, 2004, 06:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FHSUref
Quote:
I will admit that the bruised ribs are becoming a 'pain' in the rear but what about John Lucas the III and his 'famous father' WHO CARES? The announcers need to let the kid play basketball and quit talking about his Famous Father and Baylor!
Yep I agree it is bad but not as bad as BA.... oh I can't say it again.
Old Mon Mar 29, 2004, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to PGCougar
Quote:
Yep, we'll have a great matchup. Badly-Bruised-Ribs (white trunks) versus Bad-Back-with-Stinger-Complications (blue trunks.) Can't wait to hear the ringside announcers for that fight. I've got Bad-Back in a split decision...

BTW - it's not like UCONN played a whole bunch of respectable teams on their current run (and I'm an alum!)
Old Mon Mar 29, 2004, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

Nathan Hollinsaid and I are the only two who correctly picked the Final Four. I was reward by vaulting into a 1st place tie!

PS Nevada made a good showing even in defeat.