The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 11, 2000, 01:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Art H
Lightbulb

I would like to know what you fellow officials would say to the following comments a high school coach would say to you during a game. These are comments you hear time and time again. I also realize that a coach doesn't always deserve a response but if you were to give him/her one then what would you say?

1. "call it both ways ref"
2. "look at the fouls ref, it's 7 to 1"
3. "he went over his back ref" This is during a rebound with his player in front of the opponent and no call is made.
4. "when are you going to call the 3 secs ref"
5. When you make a blocking call on his player and the coach insists that he was set.
6. "Isn't the hand part of the ball" This would be on a shot attempt.

If anyone can come up with any others that you hear all the time then I would like to hear them.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2000, 01:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Art H

3. "he went over his back ref" This is during a rebound with his player in front of the opponent and no call is made.
5. When you make a blocking call on his player and the coach insists that he was set.
1. "Coach, are you accusing me of cheating?"
2. See #1

If he's previously been warned, 1 & 2 will get him a T.

3. I ignore this one.
4. "Coach, you've got 3 seconds to stop officiating and start coaching."
5. I ignore this one.
6. "Yes, it is."

Are you under the impression that the hand is not "part of the ball" on a shot?
Old Mon Dec 11, 2000, 01:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Art H
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

Are you under the impression that the hand is not "part of the ball" on a shot? [/B]
I understand the hand is part of the ball according to Rule Book 4-24-2, I was just explaining in which situation the coach would be commenting on.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2000, 04:46am
Do not give a damn!!

J.Rutledge

Quote:
Originally posted by Art H
I would like to know what you fellow officials would say to the following comments a high school coach would say to you during a game. These are comments you hear time and time again. I also realize that a coach doesn't always deserve a response but if you were to give him/her one then what would you say?

If anyone can come up with any others that you hear all the time then I would like to hear them.
1. "So you are questioning my integrity?"

2. "And that means what?"

3. "Show me that rule in the rulebook."

4. "When they are in the lane for 3 seconds"

5. "His(or her) feet were set, is that not what you coaches think is a PC foul?"

6. "Yes."
Old Mon Dec 11, 2000, 01:11pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking here's what Dave would say (or has said)

Quote:

if Dave has just called a foul such as "blue - 24, 2 shots" he will say "OK coach, 24 - blue, 2 shots - that's both ways - satisfied now?"

Quote:
"Glad to hear you can count. Those hours watching Sesame Street have really paid off."

Quote:
"Yeah - and he'll probably do it 10 more times - what's your point?"

Quote:
"About 3 seconds after you learn the rule."

Quote:
"Yeah coach, and pigs can fly."

Quote:
"If that was true, then his hand would have gone through the basket."

Of course comments are used only by a trained professional on a closed course. Kids - don't try this at home.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2000, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

1.Ignore it
2. I don't count'em, I just call'em
3. Ignore it
4.Ignore it
5. He's gotta beate'em to the spot
6. Ignore it
Old Mon Dec 11, 2000, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

Cool I say very little to coaches.

This area may be my achilles heel as a basketball official, but I tend to ignore most comments from coaches, players or fans. I find that paying attention to verbal comments distracts me from the task at hand. If a coach wants a response from me, he or she will have to form complete sentence and ask me a direct question. I will do my best to answer it quickly but many times I will suggest they defer the question to a break between periods or during a time out. For you more veteran officials, am I being too formal here?
Old Mon Dec 11, 2000, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

Absolutely not,IMO, Dennis. A question on a call is merely a comment on that call. It does not have to be answered. If he needs more of an explanation on a rule, there will be time for that later. If it is a judgement call, well, that's the way you saw it. You will hang on to his question longer than he will, he has to return to coaching his team.It is surprising how soon a coach will forget a call he didn't agree with.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2000, 06:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigDave
My theory on this issue is to have as little dialogue as possible with a coach. By throwing a question back at them, as some have suggested, you really allow the coach to become more involved in the game than he/she should be. Their job is to coach their players. By saying the comments listed above, they are just reacting to a call. These reactions don't require, or even deserve, a response. By responding, you let the coach know that he can possibly "get in your head". When this happens, he's just going to be MORE talkative.

Officiate the game. When it's all said and done, if you've done a good job, it will show.

Remember, we are there for the players. Not for the coaches. Not for the fans. Control the players and give them a fair contest and they will appreciate that.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2000, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

This is my first year (7 games under my belt). I have to say, I have already heard some "original" comments by coaches. For the most part coaches are just reacting. If they have a serious question they can call time out and address it at that point. Otherwise, I just ignore them.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2000, 09:45pm
Do not give a damn!!

Cool More info.,

I think it is always in your best interest to hear and pay attention to some of the things coaches are saying to you. If you do not you will get yourself in trouble. If you ignore them all together, you can have a little problem later. I agree the game is for the players, but the coaches run the ship. They make the substitutions and call the plays, and if you have a dispute, you have to explain it to them for the most part. Of course you do not have a running conversation, but the higher levels you go up, the more they are going to ask you questions about your calls, your partners calls, or anything that they do not understand, and it will not be hostile or in obvious anger.

I made a call in a game that basically cost the game for the home coach. I was right in front of him when I made the call. You think he did not ask me about it? I what I said to him probably was not what he wanted to hear, but I bet he knew that I did not run from him. You cannot run from them the whole time, there is always going to become a time you will be in front of them and they will comment on something. If you pay no attention to them, you might find yourself being surprised whenn something really goes crazy. But this is my opinion, this might not be your thing. I just feel that you cannot go an entire game and say nothing to the coach, especially if they are talking to you.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2000, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I am also new, like Mike Burns, and have struggled with what to say to coaches. I finally memorized a few of the rule references, and will say it to a coach who is repeatedly yelling about one thing. I do it very dispassionately, and quietly, but it usually works, They don't want to admit in front of everyone that they haven't studied the rules!

I gotta admit, though, that I had one this weekend that almost made me laugh in the coach's face. His girl had the ball near the baseline and the 3-point line. She had a very large defender on her and she was going nowhere, and neither was the ball. So she started backing the defender down toward the basket. She had got about two feet before I called it. (I was trying to figure out the physics of such a small girl moving someone so much larger. I finally realized she was timing her back-bumps to when the defender shifted her feet to try to get a little closer -- and it was working.) The coach yelled at me on the way back up the court, "Player control? She wasn't even facing her!" I said, "Coach, she can't back her down." He said, "Why not?" I was so glad I knew the reference! I just said, "Rule 10-6, Coach" Not one more work from him the rest of the game. And I laughed all the way home in the car: Why not, indeed!
Old Tue Dec 12, 2000, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Thumbs up

Rainmaker, great job! Ain't this fun?

As for the list, I think #2 is kind of harmless (unlike
Tony) unless it's said in a menacing voice. I usually hear
it as a whine, and in that case I'll ask something
like "you think you should have more than 7?". One time
a coach complained to me that I need to be calling more
fouls on his opponent (he was blue). I looked at
him sincerely & said "yeah coach, that blue team has been
getting rough, I will take care of it." He nearly had a
stroke trying to correct me "No, no, I mean white! I'm
blue!" "Yeah coach, I know, I'll take care of blue right
now!" I said, giving him the thumbs up as I jogged away.
Poor guy. #1 on the list is a hot button for me, when a
coach gives me the call-it-both-ways crap I will
tell him to knock it off unless he wants to accuse me of
cheating. All the rest I ignore beause they are comments.
Real questions asked at the right time should not be
ignored, IMO. But as soon as a coach starts repeating
himself or says "yeah but..." it's time to move on.

-Dan
Old Tue Dec 12, 2000, 06:29pm
Official Forum Member

Post Talking to coaches

I learned years ago that you never win responding to coaches especially during a live ball . Never, ever give snide answers as has been suggested by some replies. If you must say something to the coach do it during a dead ball period and explain nicely that you are officiating the game-not him/her and that no more comments regarding the officiating will be tolerated. Make sure the warning is clear and follow through if he/she continues with the appropriate direct T.
Having said this I still believe disregarding the comments is the best ploy.
YIBB
Pistol
Old Tue Dec 12, 2000, 07:06pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Wink Re: Talking to coaches

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Devana
If you must say something to the coach do it during a dead ball period and explain nicely that you are officiating the game-not him/her and that no more comments regarding the officiating will be tolerated. Make sure the warning is clear and follow through if he/she continues with the appropriate direct T.
Pistol
Must be tough explaning why you gave a T to a coach for saying "nice call".