Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 12, 2000, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

Angry Re: Talking to coaches

Not worth a reply!!
Old Wed Dec 13, 2000, 12:42am
Official Forum Member

In my fifth year, I think I'm just starting to get the hang of coach management. I ignored them for the first 3 1/2 years, but now I'm talking more...in fact, I may be talking too much to them. Nothing snide, mind you, but I think I may be looking like I'm trying too hard to please (even though I don't at all care what the coach thinks). The first time or two a coach says something, I'm willing to give a quick explanation as I go by (on a dead ball). If a coach is -really- mad but still polite, I will preface my comment with "You won't like this, coach, but I saw..." I find that nips any argument in the bud, as they can't surprise me with a negative reply. Last week, I reffed an ugly game with 29 first-half fouls, most on white. When the coach told me "this is awfully lopsided" and gave me the number of fouls, I basically just shrugged. Next time I think I may just nod. "Yes, coach...it's lopsided." There's no response to that.

Just rambling here...but I find I'm getting the hang of it. Give them the benefit of the doubt for one or two questions/requests for clarification, then tell them "no more, coach" if it becomes clear this is going to be constant.

Paul
Old Wed Dec 13, 2000, 02:25pm

Send a message via AIM to Bradley Batt
While I think that these comments are humorous, officials should know that it is MUCH better not to say anything at all than to say something smart aleck!

If you can "get away" with something - that is, if a funny comment will help defuse the situation, then it might be useful. But if you are saying these things to try to incite the coach or show him who's boss, etc. they you are doing a disservice to our avocation.

Just wanted to clarify that to new officials who think that they should go out and try to come up with a smart reply for everything that a coach has to say. You must learn how to deal with coaches and making fun of them does not usually fall into that category!
Old Wed Dec 13, 2000, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

Cool I miss Dave!

NEW OFFICIALS: Until coaches become more familiar with you, you shouldn't say anything. Just blow the whistle like you know you can, and you'll gain their respect over time. Then, MAYBE, you can use the Dave-isms!

My 2 cents (apologies to Dave):

2. "look at the fouls ref, it's 7 to 1"

"I lost my script, what should it be?"

3. "he went over his back ref"

"no, your guy went under his front"

6. "Isn't the hand part of the ball"

"yeah, but the wrist ain't"
Old Wed Dec 13, 2000, 07:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Art H
Re: I miss Dave!

Quote:
Originally posted by pizanno

3. "he went over his back ref"

"no, your guy went under his front"

6. "Isn't the hand part of the ball"

"yeah, but the wrist ain't" [/B]
I like these two because their not a smart remark and they are short and to the point.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2000, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

For the most part I completely ignore coaches comments and I do mean COMPLETELY ignore. If a coach is making comments such as the ones above, unless they're getting excessive or really hostile, I in no way, shape, or form even acknowledge that he exist. Only when they have a legitimate question do I take the time to explain why the call was made.

If a coach ever ask a question you don't know the answer to, just say RULE 2-3 COACH.
Old Thu Dec 14, 2000, 01:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Art H
[QUOTE]Originally posted by JoeD1
[B]For the most part I completely ignore coaches comments and I do mean COMPLETELY ignore. If a coach is making comments such as the ones above, unless they're getting excessive or really hostile, I in no way, shape, or form even acknowledge that he exist. Only when they have a legitimate question do I take the time to explain why the call was made.

I think by completely ignoring (some) coaches you may give the impression that you don't have an answer for him and that you are not sure of your call. On the other hand by responding to a question or 2 you give the coach the impression that you're confident enough to back your call up, not that you have to explain yourself on every call. Prime example tonite, I had a boys game and the fouls were 6-1 against him. I made a call against his player, he stood up and said "look at the fouls". I quickly said "coach that doesn't mean anything". He said nothing more on the subject. But that's me and some of you other officials might simple completely ignore him.
Old Thu Dec 14, 2000, 03:19am
Official Forum Member

Coaches comments

Hi Guys, I must admit that I have responded on occassion- Especially when they say -"hey the fouls are 10-1 against us,or something to that effect. My only response has been-"sorry but thats a coaching problem"- It worked every time!