The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 12, 2000, 01:06am
Official Forum Member

Had two games tonight (frosh boys). Both with a 23 year-ref who's worked in the state semis in California. First game, no biggie, very low key. Second though, like a varisty game. Big crowd, intense coaches, I dished out a T (when a freshman tells me "that's a f***ing joke" I think I can give him what he deserves! Unfortunately nobody else heard it so some were confused. Gotta love coaches outside the box-here in Long Beach we let them coach their kids outside, but not talk to us. Personally, I odn't like it, but my association says to go with it. Oh well-I love this game!!!
Old Tue Dec 12, 2000, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt S.
Big crowd, intense coaches, I dished out a T (when a freshman tells me "that's a f***ing joke" I think I can give him what he deserves!
In NC, that would be a flagrant technical foul, an ejection and a two game suspension. How do you guys listen to that crap?
Old Tue Dec 12, 2000, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Regardless that no one else heard him say it, I agree that the "F" word directed at an official or not is flagrant.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2000, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
You must really enjoy ejections to eject over that. The rule book just makes this a Technical foul.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2000, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Actually our state association dictates that profanity warrants an ejection. We even have to read, yes read, a sportsmanship statement at the captain's conference. The statement directly addresses profanity as an ejection eligible offense. Now, in reality, our board has some unwritten standards around what we will tolerate and what we won't since we have to file reports of every technical assessed (other than administrative "T") with the state so the state can track school, coach, and player conduct offenses. An ejection of a player warrants a one game state imposed suspension. Two ejections and the player is ineligible for the remainder of the year. Three directs, not necessarily in the same game, on a coach is also a suspension of one game with following offenses leading to suspension for the season. For our board and state, the "F" word is an absolute.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2000, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
I agree that the F word is an absolute. I'm glad your state is doing something about profanity on the court. I wish we were. My ejection last week was over profanity. Not the F word but it was the players second Technical.

As far as reporting, we only report Technicals on players when they lead to ejections. We report all unsporting Technicals against the coaches, assistance and bench personell.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2000, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

After reading threads for the past month I guess it's time to jump in. Rule 4-19-4 is pretty clear, a flagrant foul may be a technical noncontact foul which displays unacceptable conduct! Duh the f word is automatic at any time and we are not paid enough to listen to 13, 14, 15 or 16 year old children talk in that manner. NFHS states it quite clear that sports are an extension of the classroom and if that language is acceptable in the classroom the teacher would not have his job. Maybe it's time to go back to the old days when you had to raise your hand when you commited a foul, you did not talk back to officals and coaches talked in a civil manner. Sorry just a wish to santa!
Old Wed Dec 13, 2000, 04:28am
Do not give a damn!!

Question Question?

Are you guys and gals going to eject a kid because he or she uses the F word to their own teammates? And better yet, if they say it right next to you and not at you in anyway? So basically what I am asking, you guys have a no tolerance policy, no matter what?
Old Wed Dec 13, 2000, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Our state takes the position that if we hear it, we deal with it. I understand what Rut is saying. I'm not saying I go out on the floor listening for it but if it's loud enough for me to hear the "F" word, I usually "T" at that point.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2000, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Above all we need to go by what the state say, but I feel if they let one go out of frustration, and it is not directed at anyone, I will let it go. If it is directed at someone, I'll drop a T.

Old Wed Dec 13, 2000, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

Hey Rut you are right I have no tolerance for it and I don't feel it makes myself or any other offical out to be a bad guy. What it has to deal with is respect!!!!!!!!! When I line players up for a free throw I say gentleman or ladies 1 and 1 or 2 shots etc. In my captains meeting I tell them no foul language of any type, now do I alow the damn or the o s--t when they miss a layup sure but I will remind them next time we line up. There should never be a time the f word is acceptable and if you get a reputation for zero tolerance the kids will be the first ones to remember that you sat one of their mates down and you won't have a problem.