The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 10, 2003, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

I'll yield to the popular opinion on this never had it happen scenario. It just seems like the completely wrong outcome. A got the basket, seems to me that should count as sufficient control and you give the arrow to B.

I would argue that mine still is the most equitable solution - the most A could hope from gaining possession of the jump is a basket, and they got one. It is adding insult to injury to give them the arrow. Lacking a precise ruling for this sitch, this seems most in the spirit of the AP rule.
Old Mon Nov 10, 2003, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Exactly! When B gets player control on the throw-in,then set the arrow to A. If A steals the throw-in, give the arrow to B as soon as team A has player control. That follows 4-3-1 AND 4-12.
I agree that as the rule is written, that is probably the correct procedure. But I don't like it. I think that as soon as the ball is at B's disposal after the basket, we should point the arrow to A. This would be the same as when the ball is placed at the disposal of the inbounder after the FTs for a non-common foul, before the arrow has been set. As soon as it's at the inbounder's disposal, you set the arrow to the other team. I think our situation here should be the same. That's why I recommended the addition of "Article 4" above.

And yes, I understand that there's a difference in the case of the FTs. There is actual team control in that case (holding the live ball inbounds before the FT is shot). However, I think the common sense thing is to set it when the ball is at the inbounder's disposal.
Old Mon Nov 10, 2003, 05:44pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
I'll yield to the popular opinion on this never had it happen scenario. It just seems like the completely wrong outcome. A got the basket, seems to me that should count as sufficient control and you give the arrow to B.

I would argue that mine still is the most equitable solution - the most A could hope from gaining possession of the jump is a basket, and they got one. It is adding insult to injury to give them the arrow. Lacking a precise ruling for this sitch, this seems most in the spirit of the AP rule.
If we wait for throw-in possession, then we can easily be consistent no matter if A2, or B3, tipped the ball into A's basket.

Interesting case.
Old Tue Nov 11, 2003, 02:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
... on this never had it happen scenario...
Middle school girls, just don't get that much ooomph into their taps, do they!!??!?