Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 02, 2023, 01:23pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Great Minds Think Alike ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
And is the 80%-of-a-count rule still a thing too?
Ah, the infamous, ancient times "Change Of Status" rule.

I remember it well.

I actually thought about that as statements in the thread were posted about using a timeout to avoid a ten second violation and getting a new ten seconds.

For the young'uns, and many not so young'uns, the "Change Of Status" rule stated that officials could not grant a request for timeout when 80% of a count had passed (four for five seconds, eight for ten seconds), for example, on throwins, closely guarded, and ten seconds.

I actually had to use this odd rule a few times before it was taken out behind the barn and ceremoniously and humanely shot and put out of its misery.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jan 02, 2023 at 04:11pm.
Old Tue Jan 03, 2023, 03:27am
Official Forum Member

Best of Luck !!!!

BM,

Best of luck with the shot clocks. Had an opportunity to watch some high school games over the break. In every game there was about 8 shot clock errors that weren't caught. Most being deflections / fumbles that were re set to 30 that the defense never possessed. I know Raymond is observing hs games in the 757. Raymond are you dealing with the shot clock down there???
Old Tue Jan 03, 2023, 12:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

Had a tournament this last week that used it and had the title games and we had no issues in the title game and the other game had a couple that is standard. I think we are really making a big deal out of much of nothing. Small college often has some baseball players that are an hour before game time picked and they never had worked the clock before. Guess what, we got through it. I think this idea we will not have issues is silly. There are issues with people that run the game clock and we still have to do it. The shot clock will be found.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 03, 2023, 09:20pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
BM,

Best of luck with the shot clocks. Had an opportunity to watch some high school games over the break. In every game there was about 8 shot clock errors that weren't caught. Most being deflections / fumbles that were re set to 30 that the defense never possessed. I know Raymond is observing hs games in the 757. Raymond are you dealing with the shot clock down there???
The only time I see it used down here in public school games is the annual girls Christmas tournament they have at Boo Williams. I was there Friday evening observing and I paid absolutely no attention at all to what was going on with the shot clocks.

The biggest problem I have witnessed and/or experienced with high school and AAU shot clocks is them starting way too soon or way too late or simply not resetting it at all. It often comes to a point that is not worth stopping the game anymore and officials just have to take some heat when the 10 second back court count is obviously not in sync with what the shot clock has.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Jan 03, 2023 at 09:37pm.