The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 01, 2023, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

does 10 second count not start over in D1 any more?

KU OSU yesterday, OSU throws in from backcourt, KU deflected it out in backcourt so OSU throws it in again at 1049, and Sirmons calls backcourt at 1043? No one questions? New rule? It was 6 seconds!
Old Sun Jan 01, 2023, 12:14pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Forgot To Subtract ...

I know very little about NCAA ten second rules or shot clock rules (I know more about rocket science), but could this have been caused by confusion in using the shot clock rather than a visible count to "count" ten seconds?

If so, we could have the same confusion in a NFHS game with shot clock.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jan 01, 2023 at 12:20pm.
Old Sun Jan 01, 2023, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

that is what happened, but when it is a 6 second call, how the whole gym doesn't know what happened is beyond me.
Old Sun Jan 01, 2023, 01:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

Need more context. What was the start of the play? Was this in the first or second half? There is some stuff missing to know what was ruled on.

Basically, an out-of-bounds violation where the team with the ball retains possession in their backcourt, the 10-second clock does not start over. They must get it across at 20 seconds on the shot clock. If the ball was in the FC, if the ball is thrown to the BC, then there is a new 10-second count. All based on what the read of the shot clock says at the time. They can get a new timeout if there is a timeout called, or an official's timeout or a stoppage based on the official decision.

So to really answer we would have to know how the play started. That is key to seeing if it was just a mistake or properly adjudicated.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 01, 2023, 02:25pm
Esteemed Forum Member

No Start Over ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
... an out-of-bounds violation where the team with the ball retains possession in their backcourt, the 10-second clock does not start over.
Thanks JRutledge.

I told everybody that I know more about rocket science than NCAA ten second rules.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sun Jan 01, 2023, 02:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

Second half BTW

Just went back an saw this play.

There was an out-of-bounds violation in the BC that Oklahoma State Retained the ball in their BC. The shot clock said 25 seconds. They have until 20 to get it across as I said the shot clock never reset and there is a not a new 10-second count. They had 5 seconds.

Now not sure how well the crew communicated that to the players or the team. And maybe the player did not know the rule or did not realize they had to get it across (which they often don't) in 5 seconds.

But they got the rule right. And the broadcast went away from the floor and was doing some graphics, so it was not clear what communication was done or not done. Usually, talk about this in my pre-games (I am nowhere near these guys' levels BTW) at the small college level and even yesterday we talked about this situation when I worked. We said how we need to make it clear to everyone and each other if this happens when the violation can happen, even when it does not normally start at 30. You could have had a timeout at 25 and then the team has until 15 to get it across and usually there is still confusion on the teams or they are not aware the time changed.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 01, 2023, 02:54pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Struggles Against A Press ...

Quote:
... You could have had a timeout at 25 and then the team has until 15 to get it across and usually there is still confusion on the teams or they are not aware the time changed.
So in college, a team that struggles against a press to get the ball over the division line in ten seconds can request a timeout and get the full ten seconds after the subsequent backcourt inbound (and the shot clock stays at whatever it was)?

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jan 01, 2023 at 02:58pm.
Old Sun Jan 01, 2023, 03:17pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
So in college, a team that struggles against a press to get the ball over the division line in ten seconds can request a timeout and get the full ten seconds after the subsequent backcourt inbound (and the shot clock stays at whatever it was)?

Yes
Old Sun Jan 01, 2023, 03:30pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Happy New Year ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
Yes
I learned a lot today.

Old Sun Jan 01, 2023, 03:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Isn't that what I said? Please do not ask a ton of random questions about what the rule is at the NF level or how it applies to something where you live. The rule is just different at the college level. They have been using a shot clock for a lot longer and wanted to speed up the game. No need to go into multiple variations of why it is that way or what might happen at the high school level. Nothing changes the 10-second count at the NF level unless a state adopts the rule differently. Otherwise, the rule is the same.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 01, 2023, 03:49pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Be Prepared ...

Quote:
The rule is just different at the college level.
As I previously stated, I learned a lot today about college rules. I don't need to know such rules, but it might help me to understand the reasoning of an irate and confused high school coach who sees one rule on television and another in my game.

Old Sun Jan 01, 2023, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

OK, then that rule has changed since I officiated a decade or so ago. Used to be a reset and new 10 seconds. that explains why no one complained. lol.

Just curious, anyone remember when it was changed? It is a change for the better, although doesn't make sense you can call t/o to get a reset.

thanks,
Old Sun Jan 01, 2023, 03:53pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Steep Price To Pay ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedewed View Post
... doesn't make sense you can call t/o to get a reset.
A timeout isn't a steep price to pay to simply avoid a ten second violation?

Old Sun Jan 01, 2023, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

NCAAW is different from NCAAM on some of this.

It *used to be* that anytime there was a stoppage, the offense would get a new 10-seconds (similar to the HS rule). Now, the offense gets a new 10-seconds, except:

H -- Held ball and the arrow favors the offense
O -- ball out of bounds off the defense
T -- Time out request by the offense (this is different from NCAAM)
T -- Technical foul (administrative) to the team in control
Old Sun Jan 01, 2023, 05:43pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I know very little about NCAA ten second rules or shot clock rules (I know more about rocket science), but could this have been caused by confusion in using the shot clock rather than a visible count to "count" ten seconds?

If so, we could have the same confusion in a NFHS game with shot clock.
We are not being giving enough information to have an opinion on this.

The 10 second count has been the same for NCAA men's for quite a while now. There's no confusion in regards to using the shot clock.

Since you have no idea, I'm not sure why you're throwing stuff up against the wall.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Raymond; Sun Jan 01, 2023 at 05:48pm.