The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 26, 2022, 01:34pm
Esteemed Forum Member

IAABO Mechanics ...

My IAABO state board (as well as IAABO International) does a poor job at noting changes in the IAABO Mechanics Manual.

I didn't know about this recent change (below) until it came up in a recent "Make The Call" video.

It is important to note, prior to granting a time-out request, the official must see or hear the head coach’s request in order to grant it (IAABO manual p. 65 Section B).

This is a recent manual change. (Up until a couple of years ago, this phrase stated that an official must see and hear the head coach's request).

In many instances, it is difficult for an official to both see and hear the request. We do not want to encourage officials to look away from the action on the court in order to grant a request, so this change was made. When requests are made outside the normal cone of vision of the official, the official may grant the time-out if they are certain the request is being made by the head coach of the team in control of the ball without seeing the request.

Has this also been changed (and to or) for NFHS mechanics (if it ever was and)?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Dec 26, 2022 at 04:23pm.
Old Tue Dec 27, 2022, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
My IAABO state board (as well as IAABO International) does a poor job at noting changes in the IAABO Mechanics Manual.

I didn't know about this recent change (below) until it came up in a recent "Make The Call" video.

It is important to note, prior to granting a time-out request, the official must see or hear the head coach’s request in order to grant it (IAABO manual p. 65 Section B).

This is a recent manual change. (Up until a couple of years ago, this phrase stated that an official must see and hear the head coach's request).

In many instances, it is difficult for an official to both see and hear the request. We do not want to encourage officials to look away from the action on the court in order to grant a request, so this change was made. When requests are made outside the normal cone of vision of the official, the official may grant the time-out if they are certain the request is being made by the head coach of the team in control of the ball without seeing the request.

That part of the statement is not correct because there are times when there is team control and the officials should not grant a request by their head coach.
Old Tue Dec 27, 2022, 06:10pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Could Be Better Worded ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyu2 View Post
That part of the statement is not correct because there are times when there is team control and the officials should not grant a request by their head coach.
Nitpicking, but I see billyu2's point. Could be better worded.

Yes, we can only grant during a dead ball, or when one team has player control, but in this context I believe that they mean to be sure that the head coach (and only the head coach) that is requesting is the team "in control" (by virtue of having player control) and not the head coach of the team that does not have his team "in control".

"Team control" is probably a "lazy" version of "Team control by virtue of having player control" rather than the well defined NFHS definition of "team control".

Bottom line: We look (or listen) to the bench for "head" coach and team "in control"; and look to the players for player control; before granting.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Dec 28, 2022 at 10:04am.
Old Wed Dec 28, 2022, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

[I]It is important to note, prior to granting a time-out request, the official must see or hear the head coach’s request in order to grant it (IAABO manual p. 65 Section B).

My books and I are spending the holidays apart, so I won't be able to look in my NFHS Manual until next week, but did you know that change appears in the rules book at 5-8-3 as early as the 2016-17 season?

ART. 3... "Grants and signals a player’s/head coach’s oral or visual request for a time-out, such request being granted only when:..."
Old Wed Dec 28, 2022, 05:40pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Oral Or Visual ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Goodwin View Post
Grants and signals a player’s/head coach’s oral or visual request for a time-out, such request being granted only when ...
Thanks Mike Goodwin.

Keep warm in your igloo.

Pet your sled dogs for me.

Old Sun Jan 01, 2023, 03:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
ART. 3... "Grants and signals a player’s/head coach’s oral or visual request for a time-out, such request being granted only when:..."
Geez, BillyMac; it's even "longer ago" for the rules-book change vs. the IAABO manual catching up with School House Rock's "Conjunction Junction. What's your function?" and the shift from from "and" to "or."

In hand, I have a copy of the 2014-15 rules book. Rule 5-8-3, without a gray highlight says, "Grants and signals a player's/head coach's oral or visual request for a time-out..." [emphasis added]. That can only mean the word "or" showed up in the rules book prior to the 2014-15 season, and it won't be until Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. is healthy or can pay an enterprising teenager to climb into his attic, will we be able to find out the precise season the rule actually changed. The first appearance in the IAABO Manual of the word "or" rather than "and" for this procedure appears in 2018-19, a significant lag from the rules book.
Old Sun Jan 01, 2023, 11:04am
Esteemed Forum Member

Ancient Times ...

Quote:
... the shift from from "and" to "or." ...
My oldest NFHS Rule Book goes back to 1996-97 (up until that point I had foolishly discarded my sixteen oldest books) and the 1996-97 rule states "oral or visual request for a timeout" so I have (at least) twenty-six years of an "oral or visual request for a timeout" rule in the NFHS Rule Book.

However, in the 2011-12 IAABO Mechanics Manual the following appeared (I believe for the first time), "the official must see and hear the coach" and remained as such for six years until the 2018-19 IAABO Mechanics Manual when it changed to "see or hear the head coach's request".

I do recall my interpreter telling our local guys about the importance of "seeing and hearing the coach" in 2011-12, but I don't recall my interpreter telling our local guys about the mechanics change to "see or hear the coach" in 2018-19.

Quote:

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jan 02, 2023 at 02:06pm.
Old Sun Jan 01, 2023, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My oldest NFHS Rule Book goes back to 1996-97 (up until that point I had foolishly discarded my sixteen oldest books) and the 1996-97 rule states "oral or visual request for a timeout" so I have (at least) twenty-six years of an "oral or visual request for a timeout" rule in the NFHS Rule Book.
Unfortunately, my library of books also has gaps in it. Somewhere, I have the 1987-88 edition (it's the first one my name appears in), the 2003-04 edition, and then 2014-15 to the present. I kind of wish I had known I would be looking up historical stuff and I would have kept them all, a la MTD, Sr.