The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 28, 2022, 09:44am
Lighten up, Francis.

IAABO Handbook

Ever since I've been officiating, IAABO has given its members a rulebook and casebook each year. But their agreement with NFHS expired, and for whatever reason (probably $$$$ that they didn't want to pay to the FED), IAABO no longer has permission to distribute the books to its members.

Instead, this year, we're receiving the IAABO Handbook, which includes a detailed "textbook" about the rules and intersperses play situations throughout to illustrate the rule being discussed. (As in years past, it also includes the officials' manual.) They did a pretty good job on it, actually; but for rule nerds like me, it means I have to go and buy a rulebook for the first time in 30 years.

I think the new officials will like it, but it means I have to re-organize my class notes.

Old Wed Sep 28, 2022, 10:34am
Esteemed Forum Member

New IAABO Handbook ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
Ever since I've been officiating, IAABO has given its members a rulebook and casebook each year. But their agreement with NFHS expired, and for whatever reason ... IAABO no longer has permission to distribute the books to its members. Instead, this year, we're receiving the IAABO Handbook, which includes a detailed "textbook" about the rules and intersperses play situations throughout to illustrate the rule being discussed ... it means I have to go and buy a rulebook for the first time in 30 years.
I am also planning to purchase a NFHS Rulebook and Casebook. My local IAABO board will only be distributing NFHS Rulebooks and Casebooks to our new class (rookies), and to those who serve as interpreters, or are on the rule training committee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
It was announced locally that the annual IAABO International Handbook (that normally contains the IAABO constitution and a list of local boards, an IAABO Mechanics Manual, a NFHS Rulebook, and a NFHS Casebook) will, beginning in 2022-23, no longer contain a NFHS Rulebook, and a NFHS Casebook. I'm aware that these two books can be purchased from the NFHS website ($10.00 each).

A few years ago, our state association (CIAC) wanted our six local IAABO boards to join the NFHS through our CIAC existing membership (with an increase in our CIAC membership fee). Every other Connecticut high school sport does this (joins the NFHS through our CIAC), but not basketball. We fought the proposal using the argument that we already get our NFHS Rulebook and NFHS Casebook in the IAABO Handbook, a good argument at the time. Quoth the raven, "Nevermore".
The post above was from March 2022. Here's an update. The Connecticut IAABO State Board has now decided to support $17 NFHS dues beginning in the 2023-24 season. We will join the NFHS through the CIAC. We already pay $13 each annually to belong to the CIAC, now we will pay an additional $17 each annually to the CIAC (total $30) to also belong to the NFHS. These fees will be rolled into our annual local/state/international IAABO board fees ($125 last year).

Does membership in the NFHS, through a state association, mean free paper NFHS rulebooks and casebooks and/or free online NFHS rulebooks and casebooks?

I figure that we've got to get something for our $17.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Sep 28, 2022 at 10:53am.
Old Wed Sep 28, 2022, 11:01am
Administrator

This is just a personal opinion but I think that Peter Webb was a driving force in keeping IAABO having a connection with the NFHS.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Oct 07, 2022, 12:31pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Found a mistake in the new IAABO Handbook. Chapter 10, Segment 4 (page 78):
Quote:
A player-control foul occurs when an airborne player or player who is in control of the ball commits a common foul

It shouldn't say "airborne player". It should say "airborne SHOOTER". If a player jumps during rebounding action and commits a common foul, s/he is airborne, but that is NOT a player control foul.

An airborne SHOOTER is a player who has jumped and RELEASED A TRY for goal, but has not yet returned to the floor.
Old Fri Oct 07, 2022, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Found a mistake in the new IAABO Handbook. Chapter 10, Segment 4 (page 78):

It shouldn't say "airborne player". It should say "airborne SHOOTER". If a player jumps during rebounding action and commits a common foul, s/he is airborne, but that is NOT a player control foul.

An airborne SHOOTER is a player who has jumped and RELEASED A TRY for goal, but has not yet returned to the floor.
Thanks for pointing this out, but it won't be recognized unless you respond to your own post with four of the following three items:

1) Off topic pictures and or song lyrics
2) Historical references to different and only tangentially related rules
3) Lengthy articles that repeatedly reiterate the same material over and over again along with as much other material as can be included

I'm not sure these guidelines are written anywhere; I've just gleaned them by following recent posts.
Old Fri Oct 07, 2022, 01:33pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Guidelines ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I'm not sure these guidelines are written anywhere ...
They are now.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Fri Oct 07, 2022, 02:17pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Thanks for pointing this out, but it won't be recognized unless you respond to your own post with four of the following three items:

3) Lengthy articles that repeatedly reiterate the same material over and over again along with as much other material as can be included

I'm not sure these guidelines are written anywhere; I've just gleaned them by following recent posts.
Thanks, I needed a laugh today.
Old Fri Oct 07, 2022, 02:39pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Chuckles Bites the Dust (The Mary Tyler Moore Show, 1975) …

It's Raining Men (The Weather Girls, 1982)

Just following the guidelines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Thanks, I needed a laugh today.
This didn't give you a chuckle? Not even mildly amusing?

Quote:
I would have loved to have seen the local television sports-jacketed sports guy report this as the weather girl giggles in the background.

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Oct 07, 2022 at 02:42pm.
Old Fri Oct 07, 2022, 02:52pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
It's Raining Men (The Weather Girls, 1982)

Just following the guidelines.

This didn't give you a chuckle? Not even mildly amusing?
There are certain posts I immediately identify as something I'm not going to read.
Old Fri Oct 07, 2022, 03:02pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Anybody Remember Old School ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
There are certain posts I immediately identify as something I'm not going to read.
Back in the days when we literally had multiple dozens of Forum posters, almost all worth reading, some not so, I did the same thing.

Now, I'm just glad to see any new post.

My settings are defaulted to the last ten days of posts.

I don't know if anybody noticed, but a few weeks ago I was only one thread short of just the two sticky threads showing.

Only time I've ever seen that in my seventeen years on the Forum.

Thank God the few posters that we have left are almost all great rule experts whose posts can be quite educational.

While Forum quantity has certainly diminished, the quality hasn't.

The_Rookie's recent thread about undershirt sleeve length was a joy to read.

Great question. Simple answer. Confirmed by others. Easy citation. Nice reminder to officials, especially young'un officials. Asked and answered. Over and done with. No drama. No debate necessary. The Forum at its best.

Makes my Forum membership dues, paid annually to Mark Padgett, worth it.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Oct 08, 2022 at 07:12am.
Old Tue Oct 11, 2022, 06:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ever since I've been officiating, IAABO has given its members a rulebook and casebook each year. But their agreement with NFHS expired, and for whatever reason (probably $$$$ that they didn't want to pay to the FED), IAABO no longer has permission to distribute the books to its members.

Instead, this year, we're receiving the IAABO Handbook, which includes a detailed "textbook" about the rules and intersperses play situations throughout to illustrate the rule being discussed. (As in years past, it also includes the officials' manual.) They did a pretty good job on it, actually; but for rule nerds like me, it means I have to go and buy a rulebook for the first time in 30 years.

I think the new officials will like it, but it means I have to re-organize my class notes.

I agree. It sucks that NFHS, who claims to promote "education-based athletics" look to make a buck by forcing people to buy the rulebook, when the NCAA makes theirs available free for download as PDFs. I'm lucky that my association gave out free copies of the rulebook at the first meeting we had this year to anyone registered with the MPSSAA. The governing bodies of non-NFHS sports in the US also have rulebooks that can be accessible for free via an app, such as the IFAB Laws of the Game app for USSF (soccer) and the USA Hockey rulebook that can be downloaded as a PDF.

Does MIAA give out rulebooks to their associations for their registered officials?
Old Tue Oct 11, 2022, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
I agree. It sucks that NFHS, who claims to promote "education-based athletics" look to make a buck by forcing people to buy the rulebook, when the NCAA makes theirs available free for download as PDFs. I'm lucky that my association gave out free copies of the rulebook at the first meeting we had this year to anyone registered with the MPSSAA. The governing bodies of non-NFHS sports in the US also have rulebooks that can be accessible for free via an app, such as the IFAB Laws of the Game app for USSF (soccer) and the USA Hockey rulebook that can be downloaded as a PDF.

Does MIAA give out rulebooks to their associations for their registered officials?
The NFHS has to fund its operations somehow. They do that by rulebook sales. How else do you propose they generate revenue?

If your association gave them out, they just bought them and put the price in your dues. That is what our state association does. They buy them in bulk and charge the officials for them in their state dues.

The NCAA can make theirs for free because they have billion dollar TV contracts. Soccer is also funded by levels that make lots of money.

It just baffles me that people think they should get something for free and the people that provide it should just do it for free. Can I ask what you do for a living and then ask that you quit charging people for it and do it for free?
Old Wed Oct 12, 2022, 07:08am
Official Forum Member

State associations get their money via membership dues, so I wouldn't be too surprised if the NFHS also got their money from dues paid to it by member state associations. NFHS also gets money from advertising, as you can see from the ads for Smitty and Bison in the basketball rulebook.
Old Fri Oct 14, 2022, 12:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Post of the year !!!
Old Fri Oct 14, 2022, 06:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Always listen to Bob!