Thread: IAABO Handbook
View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 28, 2022, 10:34am
Esteemed Forum Member

New IAABO Handbook ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
Ever since I've been officiating, IAABO has given its members a rulebook and casebook each year. But their agreement with NFHS expired, and for whatever reason ... IAABO no longer has permission to distribute the books to its members. Instead, this year, we're receiving the IAABO Handbook, which includes a detailed "textbook" about the rules and intersperses play situations throughout to illustrate the rule being discussed ... it means I have to go and buy a rulebook for the first time in 30 years.
I am also planning to purchase a NFHS Rulebook and Casebook. My local IAABO board will only be distributing NFHS Rulebooks and Casebooks to our new class (rookies), and to those who serve as interpreters, or are on the rule training committee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
It was announced locally that the annual IAABO International Handbook (that normally contains the IAABO constitution and a list of local boards, an IAABO Mechanics Manual, a NFHS Rulebook, and a NFHS Casebook) will, beginning in 2022-23, no longer contain a NFHS Rulebook, and a NFHS Casebook. I'm aware that these two books can be purchased from the NFHS website ($10.00 each).

A few years ago, our state association (CIAC) wanted our six local IAABO boards to join the NFHS through our CIAC existing membership (with an increase in our CIAC membership fee). Every other Connecticut high school sport does this (joins the NFHS through our CIAC), but not basketball. We fought the proposal using the argument that we already get our NFHS Rulebook and NFHS Casebook in the IAABO Handbook, a good argument at the time. Quoth the raven, "Nevermore".
The post above was from March 2022. Here's an update. The Connecticut IAABO State Board has now decided to support $17 NFHS dues beginning in the 2023-24 season. We will join the NFHS through the CIAC. We already pay $13 each annually to belong to the CIAC, now we will pay an additional $17 each annually to the CIAC (total $30) to also belong to the NFHS. These fees will be rolled into our annual local/state/international IAABO board fees ($125 last year).

Does membership in the NFHS, through a state association, mean free paper NFHS rulebooks and casebooks and/or free online NFHS rulebooks and casebooks?

I figure that we've got to get something for our $17.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Sep 28, 2022 at 10:53am.