The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 15, 2004, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Do you have to be a member of IAABO to purchase the IAABO NFHS handbook? I'm curious as to what books it has in it?

I've seen it briefly and wondering what all it has.

Which of the following does it have?
-Rule book
-Case book
-Simplified & Illustrated
-Officials Manual
-Handbook

If it has all 5 of these then it would be signifigantly cheaper to get this book. Can someone help me out and tell me if you must be a member and what it has in it?
Old Thu Jul 15, 2004, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not IAABO but I would be shocked if the Handbook contains all of these books. Why would the NFHS rob themselves of income, especially when they've just gone up on the price of these books again?

[Edited by BktBallRef on Jul 15th, 2004 at 09:38 PM]
Old Thu Jul 15, 2004, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

I don't have the IAABO book but I do believe that it does actually have the rule book, case book, and officials manual. I don't think it has the handbook and am not sure about the simplified and illustrated.

I'd also be that they pay a fee to the NFHS for each copy printed. The NFHS will not care if someone else does the printing as long as they can be sure that they get the fee. I think that IAABO would be an organization to properly pay its bills...since they simply pass that cost on to the members.
Old Thu Jul 15, 2004, 05:34pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
I don't have the IAABO book but I do believe that it does actually have the rule book, case book, and officials manual. I don't think it has the handbook and am not sure about the simplified and illustrated.

I'd also be that they pay a fee to the NFHS for each copy printed. The NFHS will not care if someone else does the printing as long as they can be sure that they get the fee. I think that IAABO would be an organization to properly pay its bills...since they simply pass that cost on to the members.
I was an IAABO member many moons ago. They do license the books from the FED and put them out in their own handbook every year. I think that the current membership cost for IAABO is around $40. They also issue their own exam- a friend sends me a copy every year. It usually has more mistakes in it than the NFHS exam, if you can believe it.

Chuck Elias can give us more exact information. He is a force-fed IAABO member, I think.
Old Thu Jul 15, 2004, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust

I was an IAABO member many moons ago. They do license the books from the FED and put them out in their own handbook every year. I think that the current membership cost for IAABO is around $40. They also issue their own exam- a friend sends me a copy every year. It usually has more mistakes in it than the NFHS exam, if you can believe it.

Chuck Elias can give us more exact information. He is a force-fed IAABO member, I think.
Also includes a complete members list with addresses.

So, if one wanted the address of, say, oh I dunno, lets make up a name, say a Mark Yaworski from Maryland (completely fictitious name), one could simply look it up in the IAABO book.

Old Thu Jul 15, 2004, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

Don't board secretaries have to order the IAABO handbooks, or is that just the deal with the crests??
Old Thu Jul 15, 2004, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

Curious on post from Jurassic as to his comments on the IAABO test having "more mistakes than the federation". Sure would like more info on this comment as I am an IAABO member and the test counts as 50% of our rating. To my knowledge there have been no mistakes in the past five years. On what do you base your comment? Can you give us a specific example of such a mistake? Thanks
Old Thu Jul 15, 2004, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

Hey ref20, love the name. i think my "ref(official number)" trend is catching on. It'll sweep the nation.

Welcome to the board.

Also, I think that the IAABO test is much better for determining our knowledge of officiating. I know the rules say that "the rubber seam separating the panels cannot exceed a quarter of an inch" But that has no bearing on our jobs, because we don't go out with rulers and tape measures to judge the size of every piece of equipment. The IAABO tests has questions that we can use as we officiate. For example on last years test was something like, "Following a made basket, A1 inbounds the ball, B1 then intentionally kicks the ball, and the resultant throw in will occur on the endline. The official allows A1 to run the endline, is the official correct?"

Now that's a question that has use on a basketball court.

Just my 2 cents.

Wow! I just realized that my next post will bring me to 600. I can't believe you guys have put up with 600 of my posts . I love this place, through these 599 posts over the last year, my skills as an official and my rules knowledge have been greatly enhanced, thanks for all the time you guys have taken to answer my questions.

[Edited by ref18 on Jul 15th, 2004 at 10:49 PM]
Old Thu Jul 15, 2004, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Yes, I'm force-fed IAABO, although to be honest, I don't mind too much. The book I get each year has a complete list of IAABO members, the rule book, the case book and the officials' manual. I have no idea what the cost would be simply to buy that book.
Old Thu Jul 15, 2004, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
if one wanted the address of, say, oh I dunno, lets make up a name, say a Mark Yaworski from Maryland (completely fictitious name), one could simply look it up in the IAABO book.
Did that mean old Yaws hurt your feelings again, Dan? I'm happy to say that I haven't read a post over there in months.
Old Thu Jul 15, 2004, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ref20
To my knowledge there have been no mistakes in the past five years.
The accuracy of the IABBO tests has been excellent over at least the last five years. I honestly can't remember the last time we had errors on the test. I seem to remember that they had to throw out a question several years ago, but it had to be 7 or 8 years ago now.

Hey, ref20, how does it feel to have your very first post quoted?!?! Congrats! And welcome to the forum.
Old Thu Jul 15, 2004, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

The book is for sale on the IAABO website, atleast under the merchandise links
Old Thu Jul 15, 2004, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
if one wanted the address of, say, oh I dunno, lets make up a name, say a Mark Yaworski from Maryland (completely fictitious name), one could simply look it up in the IAABO book.
Did that mean old Yaws hurt your feelings again, Dan? I'm happy to say that I haven't read a post over there in months.
who?
Old Fri Jul 16, 2004, 07:35am
Official Forum Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by ref20
To my knowledge there have been no mistakes in the past five years.
The accuracy of the IABBO tests has been excellent over at least the last five years. I honestly can't remember the last time we had errors on the test. I seem to remember that they had to throw out a question several years ago, but it had to be 7 or 8 years ago now.

Hey, ref20, how does it feel to have your very first post quoted?!?! Congrats! And welcome to the forum.
Thanks for the welcome. Being a "newbie" I wasn't expecting it but am glad to hear your positive comments on the IAABO test.

Maybe I was reading something into a couple of comments but there appeared to be some negativity regarding IAABO ("force-fed IAABO member"). Always have felt it is important to stay away from the negatives and promote the positives. :-)

I don't know much about how things work outside my area but coming from an IAABO state I have been impressed with the training they have provided. Just got back from one of their camps. I learned a ton of stuff, very positive group.

Looking forward to advancing my knowledge through this discussion board.
Old Fri Jul 16, 2004, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

Smile

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ref18
[B]Hey ref20, love the name. i think my "ref(official number)" trend is catching on. It'll sweep the nation.

Welcome to the board.

Also, I think that the IAABO test is much better for determining our knowledge of officiating. I know the rules say that "the rubber seam separating the panels cannot exceed a quarter of an inch" But that has no bearing on our jobs, because we don't go out with rulers and tape measures to judge the size of every piece of equipment. The IAABO tests has questions that we can use as we officiate. For example on last years test was something like, "Following a made basket, A1 inbounds the ball, B1 then intentionally kicks the ball, and the resultant throw in will occur on the endline. The official allows A1 to run the endline, is the official correct?"

Now that's a question that has use on a basketball court.

Thanks. Hope I can learn as you have stated how much you have. Didn't realize others had used the ref with a # but I guess I am in good company. :-)

Whole heartedly agree here. We use the Federation test as an additional study tool but some of those questions really don't test what is needed in game situations. The example you gave certainly is a good one.