The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 18, 2022, 09:40am
Esteemed Forum Member

Delay Throwin Or Free Throw ...

Various rulebook and casebook citations make it abundantly clear how to handle delay situations during a throwin or a free throw after a timeout or intermission.

4-38: The resumption-of-play procedure is used to prevent delay in putting the ball in play when a throw-in team does not make a thrower available or following a time-out or intermission (unless either team is not on the court to start the second half) as in 7-5-1 and 8-1-2. The procedure results in a violation instead of a technical foul for initial delay in specific situations.

7-5-1: When a team does not make a thrower available, after a timeout (as in 7-4-4) or the intermission between any quarter (as in 6-2-3), the resumption-of-play procedure is used to prevent delay. The administering official will sound the whistle to indicate play will resume. In each situation:
a. The ball must be put in play if Team A is ready or it must be placed on the floor.
b. The throw-in count must begin and if a violation occurs, the procedure will be repeated for Team B.
c. Following a violation by one team only, if that team continues to delay when authorized to make a throw-in, it is a technical foul.
d. Following a violation by both teams, any further delay by either team is a technical foul.

8-1-2: Following a time-out or intermission, the resumption-of-play procedure may be used to prevent delay. The administering official will sound the whistle to indicate play will resume. The ball must be placed at the disposal of the thrower or placed on the floor at the free-throw line and the count must begin. Either or both teams may be charged with a violation. Following a violation by one or both teams, if the offending team(s) continues to delay, a team technical foul must be ruled.

There is a single caseplay that makes it abundantly clear how to handle a delay situation during a very specific free throw shooter delay not after a timeout or intermission.

10.4.5 SITUATION: The ruling official has reported the foul and has given directions to players along the lane. The official is ready to put the ball at free thrower A1’s disposal, but A1 is at the sideline talking to the coach. RULING: A technical foul for delay is charged to A1. No warning is authorized in this situation. (10-3-5c)

What rulebook or casebook citations tell us how to handle other (not 10.4.5) delay situations during a throwin or a free throw not after a timeout or intermission where we simply place the ball on the floor (disposal), or give it to the team who is not delaying?

It appears that we sometimes charge an immediate technical foul (10.4.5), but other times we place the ball on the floor (disposal), or give it to the team who is not delaying.

I'm interested in specific instructions for those "other times".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Oct 18, 2022 at 06:33pm.
Old Tue Oct 18, 2022, 12:00pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Other Times ...

Team Technical 10-2-1-B: Allow the game to develop into an actionless contest, this includes the following and similar acts: Delay the game by preventing the ball from being made promptly live or from being put in play.

For situations not after a timeout or an intermission, what citations instruct officials to sometimes charge an immediate technical foul (10.4.5) and at other times to place the ball on the floor (disposal) or give it to the team who is not delaying?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Tue Oct 18, 2022, 06:31pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Citations Please ...

Looking for citations, I've searched the NFHS rulebook, the NFHS casebook, Forum Annual Interpretation Archives, and Forum Search and came out with nothing.

Finally, in desperation, I tried a search on the Google and came up with these three Forum posts:

BillyMac October 2008
Resumption Of Play Reminder ...
Just a reminder: A few years ago the Resumption of Play procedure, which used to only be used after time outs and intermissions, was changed so that it can also be used during any throwin.

BillyMac November 2008
Sometimes A Technical Foul ...
Remember, the Resumption of Play procedure is only used for a free throw after a timeout, or intermission. If the free throw is not after a timeout, or intermission, and the team delays, it's a technical foul.
The Resumption of Play procedure can be used for any throwin, not just a throwin after a timeout, or intermission.

Nevadaref November 2008
9.2.9 SITUATION: Following a violation, the official has properly signaled and
awarded a throw-in to Team A at a designated spot. No Team A player comes to
the spot even though the official has allowed ample time for them to respond. The
official then places the ball on the floor and begins the five-second count. (a) Both
A1 and A2 step out of bounds and A1 picks up the ball; or (b) both A1 and A2
step out of bounds and A1 picks up the ball and hands it to A2. RULING: In (a),
A2 must immediately return inbounds. In (b), it is a throw-in violation when A1
hands the ball to A2. (9-2-12)

What was this "change" I was talking about?

I wish that I had done a better job at posting citations (evidence).

Old Tue Oct 18, 2022, 11:45pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Thanks for pointing this out, but it won't be recognized unless you respond to your own post with four of the following three items:

1) Off topic pictures and or song lyrics
2) Historical references to different and only tangentially related rules
3) Lengthy articles that repeatedly reiterate the same material over and over again along with as much other material as can be included

I'm not sure these guidelines are written anywhere; I've just gleaned them by following recent posts.
We are getting close.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 19, 2022, 09:47am
Esteemed Forum Member

Answer ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
We are getting close.
Close to an answer?

Give it your best shot.

Please.

Old Wed Oct 19, 2022, 10:26am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Close to an answer?

Give it your best shot.

Please.
I am going to be honest with you. I do not really know what you are asking. You are referencing all this stuff and not sure what the confusion is. This is kind of the issue many have with you sometimes. You often seem to not have a direct point or a reason why you are asking the specific question.

Why don't you just ask a question and let people answer what they know or can reference instead of posting information and then posting more information and getting the actual question lost in the material? Are you confused of something in the rule or are you asking to validate your position? Your post often are more confusing than some of the questions they ask on rules tests.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 19, 2022, 10:48am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Close to an answer?

Give it your best shot.

Please.
We are getting close to the process Bob laid out in regard to how certain threads go.

Quote:
I am going to be honest with you. I do not really know what you are asking. You are referencing all this stuff and not sure what the confusion is. This is kind of the issue many have with you sometimes. You often seem to not have a direct point or a reason why you are asking the specific question.

Why don't you just ask a question and let people answer what they know or can reference instead of posting information and then posting more information and getting the actual question lost in the material? Are you confused of something in the rule or are you asking to validate your position? Your post often are more confusing than some of the questions they ask on rules tests.

Peace
Pretty much my outlook on this thread as well. Not sure what's being asked. Seemed like Billy answered his own question somewhere in the word buffet.
Old Wed Oct 19, 2022, 10:54am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
We are getting close to the process Bob laid out in regard to how certain threads go.

Pretty much my outlook on this thread as well. Not sure what's being asked. Seemed like Billy answered his own question somewhere in the word buffet.
And the thing is I love having to discuss issues of rules and even mechanics. I do them every day in multiple sports because I love officiating. But I have no idea what the freak he is asking. No idea whatsoever.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 19, 2022, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

I'll try to translate the question from BillyMac into normal English. He wants to know what the proper procedure is if the free-thrower is guilty of a delay, but the delay does not come offer a timeout or intermission.
Old Wed Oct 19, 2022, 12:26pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Clarification ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
He wants to know what the proper procedure is if the free-thrower is guilty of a delay, but the delay does not come after a timeout or intermission.
I already know the proper procedure for that.

10.4.5 SITUATION: The ruling official has reported the foul and has given directions to players along the lane. The official is ready to put the ball at free thrower A1’s disposal, but A1 is at the sideline talking to the coach. RULING: A technical foul for delay is charged to A1. No warning is authorized in this situation. (10-3-5c)

I also know the proper procedure is if the free-thrower is guilty of a delay after a timeout or intermission.

8-1-2: Following a time-out or intermission, the resumption-of-play procedure may be used to prevent delay. The administering official will sound the whistle to indicate play will resume. The ball must be placed at the disposal of the thrower or placed on the floor at the free-throw line and the count must begin. Either or both teams may be charged with a violation. Following a violation by one or both teams, if the offending team(s) continues to delay, a team technical foul must be ruled.

I’m still looking for rulebook and/or casebook citations if defenders delay getting into the first lane spaces on a free throw but the delay does not come after a timeout or intermission?

We have a casebook citation (below) telling us what to do after a timeout or intermission, but is there a rulebook and/or casebook citation when the delay does not come after a timeout or intermission?

9.1.2 SITUATION A: Following a time-out by Team B, A1 is given the ball for the first of two free throws even though Team B is still huddling at the bench and the first marked spaces on each side of the lane are not occupied. In this case, the lead official uses the resumption-of-play procedure even though the first spaces are not occupied, whereas in other cases, the spaces would have to be properly occupied before the official would proceed with the free throw administration. A1’s first attempt is successful. The lead official then bounces the ball to A1 for the second attempt. Team B is still at the sideline. The official again gives the signal which indicates a violation by Team B if the attempt is missed. A1 misses the second free-throw attempt. RULING: The violation will result in A1 being given a substitute attempt. Team B will be assessed a technical foul if they delay further by not -occupying the first marked spaces on each side of the lane before the ball becomes live for the substitute throw. (4-38; 8-1-2; 10-1-5b)

I’m also looking for a rulebook citation if the inbounder is guilty of a delay, but the delay does not come afer a timeout or intermission; as well as a rulebook citation if the non-inbounding team is guilty of a delay, but the delay does not come after a timeout or intermission?

We have a casebook citation (below) to cover the inbounding play, but is there an associated rulebook citation?

9.2.9 SITUATION: Following a violation, the official has properly signaled and awarded a throw-in to Team A at a designated spot. No Team A player comes to the spot even though the official has allowed ample time for them to respond. The official then places the ball on the floor and begins the five-second count …

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Oct 19, 2022 at 12:43pm.
Old Wed Oct 19, 2022, 12:29pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Look For A Question Mark ...

Quote:
I do not really know what you are asking.
Quote:
But I have no idea what the freak he is asking. No idea whatsoever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Not sure what's being asked.
This:

Quote:
What rulebook and/or casebook citations tell us how to handle other (not 10.4.5) delay situations during a throwin or a free throw not after a timeout or intermission where we simply place the ball on the floor (disposal), or give it to the team who is not delaying?
Note that in some situations (in all cases not after timeout or intermission) we have a casebook play but no associated rulebook citation (inbounding), while in other situations (first lane space) we have neither a casebook play nor an associated rulebook citation.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Oct 19, 2022 at 12:42pm.
Old Wed Oct 19, 2022, 12:34pm
Courageous When Prudent

I don't know what this means: "or give it to the team who is not delaying?"
Old Wed Oct 19, 2022, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

On a free throw, assuming there is no timeout, the ball will be placed at the free thrower's disposal. A is not required to have people in the lane spaces, only B. If B is not in the lane spaces, the free throws will be administered, with a violation against B for not occupying the required spaces if the free throw is missed.
Old Wed Oct 19, 2022, 12:53pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Resumption-Of-Play Procedure ...

4-38: The resumption-of-play procedure is used to prevent delay in putting the ball in play when a throw-in team does not make a thrower available or following a time-out or intermission (unless either team is not on the court to start the second half) as in 7-5-1 and 8-1-2. The procedure results in a violation instead of a technical foul for initial delay in specific situations.

My general question is: Why do my interpreters/trainers often stress that the resumption-of-play procedure is used following a timeout or intermission, when in reality it is used in many other situations not necessarily following a timeout or intermission, with two main exceptions, delay by the free thrower, and starting the second half, both of which are immediate technical fouls that do not involve placing the ball on the floor or giving it to the team who is not delaying.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Oct 19, 2022 at 02:09pm.
Old Wed Oct 19, 2022, 12:56pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Agree ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
On a free throw, assuming there is no timeout, the ball will be placed at the free thrower's disposal. A is not required to have people in the lane spaces, only B. If B is not in the lane spaces, the free throws will be administered, with a violation against B for not occupying the required spaces if the free throw is missed.
Agree, but need a "no timeout" citation, either rulebook or casebook.