The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 28, 2022, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
The OhioHSAA has not sent out an email with the Basketball State Rules Meeting information yet, but the date is already listed on MyOHSAA. The starting date is 09:00amEDT on Wed., Oct. 12th and the last date before the $50 fine kicks in is 11:59pmEST, Fri., Nov. 18th. And the last date period is 11:59pmEST, Jan. 23, 2023.

MTD, Sr.
Interpreters meeting not the State rules meeting. Went digging in my email and they sent it so early I forgot about it. Interpreters meeting js in a couple weeks and on-line
Old Thu Sep 29, 2022, 10:36am
Esteemed Forum Member

Sent So Early He Forgot About It ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
Went digging in my email and they sent it so early I forgot about it.
That what happened to my friend. Cost him thousands of dollars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Had a buddy miss the mandatory "new rules" meeting because it slipped his mind. Just dumb forgot. By the time he figured it out, all the "new rules" meetings dates throughout Connecticut and nearby states had passed. Too late to attend. After paying his dues for the year, he was assigned zero games. Ouch.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Oct 04, 2022, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Michigan used to have in person meetings, but they were not required for more than advanced post-season assignments. They then went to online rules meetings, but only for post-season eligibility, with a couple in person meetings as well. Now the meetings are all online meetings and anyone working a high school assignment (Varsity or SubVarsity), must attend the meeting or they can't work.

As an assigner this is a pain the behind, because I try having assignments done well before the meetings are put online. If an official is assigned, but doesn't do the meeting, it becomes more work for me to replace them with another official. With that said, I do feel it has made the officiating a little bit better overall, but it is still easy to do other work while "watching" the online meeting.
Old Wed Oct 05, 2022, 11:38am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
Michigan used to have in person meetings, but they were not required for more than advanced post-season assignments. They then went to online rules meetings, but only for post-season eligibility, with a couple in person meetings as well. Now the meetings are all online meetings and anyone working a high school assignment (Varsity or SubVarsity), must attend the meeting or they can't work.

As an assigner this is a pain the behind, because I try having assignments done well before the meetings are put online. If an official is assigned, but doesn't do the meeting, it becomes more work for me to replace them with another official. With that said, I do feel it has made the officiating a little bit better overall, but it is still easy to do other work while "watching" the online meeting.

I do not know if the California Basketball Officials Association has changed its requirements but when I was a member of the San Gabriel Valley Unit (1982-83 and 1983-84) we received our assignments in September BUT to be eligible to officiate one had to attend x number (I do not remember of meetings without going to the attic.) of meetings before the season started AND pass with at least an 85% a 200 true/false question (closed book) exam which was not given to that last scheduled meeting, with no retakes!

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Wed Oct 05, 2022 at 07:35pm. Reason: Expanded upon the type of CBOA Exam (see bold in red)>
Old Wed Oct 05, 2022, 01:12pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Refresher Exam ...

Quote:
... pass with at least an 85% a 200 question true/false exam ...
Members of my local IAABO board have to take (and often pass) the open book IAABO Refresher Exam every year to get game assignments.

Early in my career, members individually took the open book exam at home and then were encouraged to attend an "informal" study group (often with pizza and beer) to compare answers. I often attended two different groups, my hometown group, and my Catholic middle school group. While such groups were officially encouraged, it seems that there was often one in each group that had access to the answer sheet, which some might consider to be cheating. Once the internet and email came along this "cheating" became much more common, and literally everybody always passed the test.

Knowing how much "cheating" was occurring, we tried something different. Dozens of board sponsored "official" study groups were formed, the leader had the answer sheet, and we went over all the questions and answers together in each group. One had to individually take the open book test and attend (sign in sheets) one of these study groups to get game assignments. The was no requirement to pass the test. Not attending a study group meant no game assignments.

Very recently we've tried a new model. Take the open book test individually at home, send one's answers to our local board website, test is corrected, and if one passes the test, one gets game assignments.

Fail the test and one has to attend a special "remedial" meeting to go over all the question and answers. Attend that "remedial" meeting and one gets game assignments.

Fail the test and not attend the "remedial" meeting means that one doesn't get any game assignments.

Certainly not a difficult path to get game assignments.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Oct 06, 2022 at 12:02pm.
Old Wed Oct 05, 2022, 07:36pm
Administrator

Quote:
Members of my local IAABO board have to take (and often pass) the open book IAABO Refresher Exam every year to get game assignments.

Early in my career, members were encouraged to individually take the open book exam at home and then attend an "informal" study group (often with pizza and beer) to compare answers. I often attended two different groups, my hometown group, and my Catholic middle school group. While such groups were officially encouraged, it seems that there was often one in each group that had access to the answer sheet, which some might consider to be cheating. Once the internet and email came along this "cheating" became much more common, and literally everybody always passed the test.

Knowing how much "cheating" was occurring, we tried something different. Dozens of board sponsored "official" study groups were formed, the leader had the answer sheet, and we went over all the questions and answers together in each group. One had to individually take the open book test and attend (sign in sheets) one of these study groups to get game assignments. The was no requirement to pass the test. Not attending a study group meant no game assignments.

Very recently we've tried a new model. Take the open book test individually at home, send one's answers to our local board website, test is corrected, and if one passes the test, one gets game assignments.

Fail the test and one has to attend a special "remedial" meeting to go over all the question and answers. Attend that "remedial" meeting and one gets game assignments.

Fail the test and not attend the "remedial" meeting means that one doesn't get any game assignments.

Certainly not a difficult path to get game assignments.

Billy:

I edited my initial response to elaborate on the CBOA Exam: It was a closed book exam.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Oct 06, 2022, 12:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Cheating ...

Quote:
... the CBOA Exam: It was a closed book exam.
Still a possibility of cheating. Just look at the recent chess cheating scandal. That took cheating to a whole (or hole) new level, but I won't go into the details.

https://www.breitbart.com/sports/202...g-anal-device/

Old Fri Oct 07, 2022, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Still a possibility of cheating. Just look at the recent chess cheating scandal. That took cheating to a whole (or hole) new level, but I won't go into the details.

https://www.breitbart.com/sports/202...g-anal-device/
This event took place in my home town of St. Louis and this international event failed to make the local news.
Old Fri Oct 07, 2022, 02:09pm
Esteemed Forum Member

It's Raining Men (The Weather Girls, 1982) …

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
This event took place in my home town of St. Louis and this international event failed to make the local news.
I would have loved to have seen the local television sports-jacketed sports guy report this as the weather girl giggles in the background.

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Oct 07, 2022 at 02:41pm.