The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 06, 2002, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
In June, my little ditty bag that I take to games got stolen out of my car. In it were my NFHS rule books -- all four. This year, instead of the Officials' Manual (which I could use), we get the Handbook. I think I'll send for a new Officials' Manual. But my real question is, What good is the Handbook for a ref? I can't see much in it, but maybe I'm missing something.
Old Wed Nov 06, 2002, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
In June, my little ditty bag that I take to games got stolen out of my car. In it were my NFHS rule books -- all four. This year, instead of the Officials' Manual (which I could use), we get the Handbook. I think I'll send for a new Officials' Manual. But my real question is, What good is the Handbook for a ref? I can't see much in it, but maybe I'm missing something.
I file my hand book along with that big orange book that the state of Ohio sends me in the desk at home. I think the Handbook has a "lot of good back ground info". Probably a good read on a rainy Sunday when there is no football and the only TV is the 6432nd showing of Steel Magnolias! Seriously, do they show that movie somewhere in America every week?

Ive been keeping my case book, rule book and officials manual in my planner until the season starts...then into the bag they go.

Larks
VIT
Old Wed Nov 06, 2002, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I've read it...not often...but once or twice. It has some interesting history of the game. I can add some understanding of how some rules came to be.

I don't think we really need a new one every two years.
Old Wed Nov 06, 2002, 05:24pm
In Memoriam

Hmmmm.

Quote:
Jewel,
I have never seen one.
mick
Old Wed Nov 06, 2002, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

I read the handbook the first year I officiated, and it was helpful that first year. But I have not ordered it since.

AK ref SE
Old Wed Nov 06, 2002, 05:58pm
Official Forum Member

THE first 30 pages deal with the history of the game. Part II (from page 31-58) deal with Duties of Coaches, Captains, Players & Substitutions with case plays. Part III (page 58-86) deals rules 1-10 with case plays and do's and don't concerning the rules...I would suggest you buy one once and it will good reading. Wait several years before buying another one. Even though I buy the new one each time it comes out, it really is not necessary to buy on every year. It changes very litte from year to year...If you don't have one, buy one and it will be good for several years.
Old Wed Nov 06, 2002, 09:43pm
Administrator

I get the Handbook everytime it is published. The Handbook has much valuable information in it. (See my postings in True/False.) While the Rules Book is the foundation, the Casebook, Simplified and Illustrated, Officials Handbook, and Basketball Handbook support the Rules Book.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Nov 06, 2002, 09:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb That bad?

Quote:
Originally posted by Larks

Probably a good read on a rainy Sunday when there is no football and the only TV is the 6432nd showing of Steel Magnolias! Seriously, do they show that movie somewhere in America every week?
You have too much time on your hands.

Side note about the movie Steel Magnolias. I spend a summer in the town where they filmed the movie, Nacatastish (spelled it wrong), Louisiana. Whatever the town that Northwestern Lousiana State is located. Joe Dumars is from there. I spent the summer there the year he won the MVP in the NBA Finals against the Lakers. Nice little town. The movie wasn't that bad. But I guess if I would see it over and over, it might get to me.

Peace
Old Thu Nov 07, 2002, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

Natchitoches...pronounced nack-i-toe-shush
Old Thu Nov 07, 2002, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Z REF
Natchitoches...pronounced nack-i-toe-shush
Actually, that is almost how most of the locals pronounce the town in Texas (spelled the same way) nack-i-doe-shush. Most of the locals I have encountered in Louisiana pronounce it nack-i-tush. Both very nice little towns.

Traditionally, the one in LA has the better athletic teams but the one in TX has the better party college...or so I have been told.
Old Thu Nov 07, 2002, 10:32am
9 times

Re: That bad?

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Originally posted by Larks

Probably a good read on a rainy Sunday when there is no football and the only TV is the 6432nd showing of Steel Magnolias! Seriously, do they show that movie somewhere in America every week?
You have too much time on your hands.

Side note about the movie Steel Magnolias. I spend a summer in the town where they filmed the movie, Nacatastish (spelled it wrong), Louisiana. Whatever the town that Northwestern Lousiana State is located. Joe Dumars is from there. I spent the summer there the year he won the MVP in the NBA Finals against the Lakers. Nice little town. The movie wasn't that bad. But I guess if I would see it over and over, it might get to me.

Peace
It wasn't that bad??? Come on Jeff, I know you have testosterone running through your veins. That is the worst movie ever made. The "southern accents" alone about drove me over the edge. A college roommate of mine went to HS with Julia Roberts (in Georgia no less) and her accent is the worst of the bunch.

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryS
Most of the locals I have encountered in Louisiana pronounce it nack-i-tush.
This is how I have heard it from my friend who was born and raised there.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Thu Nov 07, 2002, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: Re: That bad?

Quote:
Originally posted by stripes
[Steel Magnolias] is the worst movie ever made.
Respectfully, until (or unless) you've seen "Nothing But Trouble", starring Chevy Chase, Demi Moore, and Dan Akroyd, you are simply not qualified to give opinions on "the worst movie ever made". I wish I could find that little animation of the guy puking. That's how I felt after that movie. Not one single laugh in almost 2 hours.

Chuck
Old Thu Nov 07, 2002, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: That bad?

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by stripes
[Steel Magnolias] is the worst movie ever made.
Respectfully, until (or unless) you've seen "Nothing But Trouble", starring Chevy Chase, Demi Moore, and Dan Akroyd, you are simply not qualified to give opinions on "the worst movie ever made". I wish I could find that little animation of the guy puking. That's how I felt after that movie. Not one single laugh in almost 2 hours.

Chuck
Why didn't you quit after the first 20 minutes??

Steel Magnolias was too "chick" even for me but what I hated most about the movie was the completely fictionalized view of diabetes. I am quite familiar with the disease up close and personal (sister, husband, son, sister-in-law) and I can tell you it ain't nuttin like that movie!!
Old Thu Nov 07, 2002, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: Re: Re: Re: That bad?

Quote:
Why didn't you quit after the first 20 minutes??
Because with Chevy Chase and Dan Akroyd, I thought it just had to get better. I mean, it couldn't really be that bad for the whole movie, could it?!?! But sure enough, it was. Plus, I hate giving up on a movie that I've already paid for.

Fletch_irwin_m said he liked it, but I can't see how he could possibly have enjoyed it.

Chuck
Old Thu Nov 07, 2002, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: That bad?

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Fletch_irwin_m said he liked it, but I can't see how he could possibly have enjoyed it.
You just never know what hidden dark inner recesses are lurking inside the people you meet on the Internet!!