The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 12, 2022, 04:39am
Official Forum Member

Whistle Dead Ball

There are only two ways that the referee's whistle causes the ball to become dead. What are they?

I am posing this question to make sure the answer I have is correct and also to be certain there are not more than two ways. Your responses will help in the vetting process.
Old Tue Apr 12, 2022, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

If the ball is live, an official's whistle always causes the ball to become dead unless there is a try/tap for field goal or free throw.
Old Tue Apr 12, 2022, 09:24am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
If the ball is live, an official's whistle always causes the ball to become dead unless there is a try/tap for field goal or free throw.
If there is a violation or a foul, the ball is dead when those things take place most of the time, not when the whistle blows. This is a Basketball Fundamental.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 12, 2022, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Inadvertent whistle.

"Advertent" whistle for injury, to converse with scorers, court issue, spectator issue, etc.
Old Tue Apr 12, 2022, 10:57am
Esteemed Forum Member

Dead Or Alive ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
If there is a violation or a foul, the ball is dead when those things take place most of the time, not when the whistle blows. This is a
Agree. Basketball Rule Fundamental #16.

The official’s whistle seldom causes the ball to become dead (it is already dead).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Apr 12, 2022, 10:59am
Esteemed Forum Member

Timeout ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1 View Post
There are only two ways that the referee's whistle causes the ball to become dead.
How about sounding one's whistle to grant a requested timeout during a live ball?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Tue Apr 12, 2022, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Already Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
How about sounding one's whistle to grant a requested timeout during a live ball?
The ball is dead when you recognize the time out not when you blow the whistle. If a coach yells time out and you take a moment to verify its a legitimate request (head coach, correct team, player control) would you award a shot that was launched just before you blew the whistle?
Old Tue Apr 12, 2022, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

My Answer...

The two that I think apply here are an inadvertent whistle and an officials time out. Every other situation that I can think of falls the into the :already dead" category.
Old Tue Apr 12, 2022, 01:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Occurring Simultaneously ...

Quote:
The ball is dead when you recognize the time out not when you blow the whistle. If a coach yells time out and you take a moment to verify its a legitimate request (head coach, correct team, player control) would you award a shot that was launched just before you blew the whistle?
Great question Rich1.

In a real game, I (hopefully) wouldn't blow my whistle if the ball had been "released". I always look for the ball after I verify it's a legitimate request.

For a written test question, I'm on the fence, but I'm leaning toward grant, whistle, and dead ball, all occurring simultaneously.

I'm not going to die on this hill, but I would appreciate some further discussion.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Apr 12, 2022 at 01:49pm.
Old Tue Apr 12, 2022, 02:55pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
The two that I think apply here are an inadvertent whistle and an officials time out. Every other situation that I can think of falls the into the :already dead" category.
Would an inadvertent whistle cause the ball to be dead if a try is in flight?
Old Tue Apr 12, 2022, 05:51pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Count It ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
If the ball went in the basket, I would count it, thus, not dead.

Old Tue Apr 12, 2022, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Hmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
No it would not which is what makes this question so tough. So I guess I would have to alter my answer to "inadvertent whistle unless the ball is in flight"
Old Tue Apr 12, 2022, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
In a real game, I (hopefully) wouldn't blow my whistle if the ball had been "released". I always look for the ball after I verify it's a legitimate request.
I would not either if I could help it but I have had situations where a time out was clearly called by the coach of the team with the ball and as I am filling my lungs the shot is released. However, it was clear to both myself and the coach that the timeout came before the try started.
Old Tue Apr 12, 2022, 08:53pm
Courageous When Prudent

Rule 5-5

Art. 1. The ball shall become dead or remain dead when:

f. An official blows the whistle and signals when a foul is committed by a shooter’s teammate before the ball is released for a try for goal; and

g. An official blows the whistle when any floor violation (Rules 9-3 through 9-14) occurs, there is basket interference or goaltending (Rule 9-15) or there is a free-throw violation by the free-thrower’s team (Rule 9-1).

I knew the first one. I'm guessing everyone thinks the ball is already dead for the second

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Wed Apr 13, 2022, 06:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
6-7 The ball becomes dead when: Art 5... An official's whistle is blown.

Nothing else in there I can see about TOs

If true, the ball becomes dead on the whistle -- not "when you recognize the TO" (with exceptions for try, etc)

Last edited by bob jenkins; Wed Apr 13, 2022 at 08:17am.