The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 23, 2005, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

On a throw-in after a dead ball to resume play do you blew the whistle prior to putting the ball in play?

Or do you do this just to start a quarter?
Old Wed Nov 23, 2005, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dknick78
On a throw-in after a dead ball to resume play do you blew the whistle prior to putting the ball in play?

Or do you do this just to start a quarter?
At the start of a quarter, or after a time-out. Definitely not after every dead-ball. You might use the whistle after an inordiante delay (injury, clock problem, etc.).
Old Wed Nov 23, 2005, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
I never blew a whistle to start the play, only to stop it. That's what the book says too.
"The offcials shall call a whistle each time the play must be stopped due to violations against rules or playtime ending."
something like that, never to start a quarter, game, play, anything.
Only exception:
You call 1 minute, 3 minutes, 1:30 (In FIBA) before period starts to alert players.
You call for 10 seconds left of time out. That's the only time you blow for something else, and then the play is allready stopped.

this rule works too:
Blow the whistle- ball must go to official before being played again. Once the ball is in a players hand, it's in play.

Old Wed Nov 23, 2005, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

I don't have my officials manual with me at work, but I am sure the procedure for NFHS are to sound the wistle prior to handing the ball to a player for throw-in after time-outs, quarter changes, or any unusual delay such as after an injury, and for the throw-in following an intentional or technical foul. These are FED procedures.
Old Wed Nov 23, 2005, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

I blow it a little more often in sub-v games as their concentration is a little suspect. Have a nice Thanksgving!
Old Wed Nov 23, 2005, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to lukealex
I blow the whistle on most inbounds under the basket on the offensive end, seems to get the attention of the players. I also whistle to start quarters and end of TOs. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to blow the whistle when I hand the ball to the player, but it seems to create a better flow for the game.
Old Wed Nov 23, 2005, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lukealex
I blow the whistle on most inbounds under the basket on the offensive end, seems to get the attention of the players. I also whistle to start quarters and end of TOs. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to blow the whistle when I hand the ball to the player, but it seems to create a better flow for the game.
huh?

Z
Old Wed Nov 23, 2005, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

Ref in PA's summary is pretty accurate as I recall. The reason for blowing your whistle before play begins is to alert everybody that play is about to begin. We don't want to surprise anybody. After time outs and quarter breaks is an obvious time to use it.

IMHO there may be other times when it would be helpful too. So don't withold an obviously helpful whistle just because the mechanics manual doesn't say to do it. I have seen it used to great effect in very noisy gyms and in lower levels of play. On the other hand, overusing the whistle would, I think, tend to reduce its effectiveness.
Old Wed Nov 23, 2005, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I blow the whistle on most inbounds under the basket on the offensive end, seems to get the attention of the players.
I do as well. Many times, players are moving around, trying to gain position, etc. I like the whistle at that point so that I don't catch anyone by surprise.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Nov 23, 2005, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
I blow the whistle on most inbounds under the basket on the offensive end, seems to get the attention of the players.
I do as well. Many times, players are moving around, trying to gain position, etc. I like the whistle at that point so that I don't catch anyone by surprise.
Just as an FYI, this is a mechanic as well in NCAA-W.

But as BITS said - don't get in the habit of blowing the whistle all the time. If your partners aren't doing it as often as you are, it will draw more attention to you.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Nov 23, 2005, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy
But as BITS said - don't get in the habit of blowing the whistle all the time. If your partners aren't doing it as often as you are, it will draw more attention to you.
Blowing the whistle 6 or 8 times a game is not blowing the whistle all the time. There are plenty or other things that you can do to draw attention to yourself if that's a concern.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Nov 23, 2005, 10:01pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Quote:
Offensive baseline, I also always blow a whistle before handing the ball.
Old Thu Nov 24, 2005, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
Quote:
Offensive baseline, I also always blow a whistle before handing the ball.
I do this as well. There can be no argument when the ball came into play
Old Thu Nov 24, 2005, 02:18am
Official Forum Member

I don't use my whistle unless its after a timeout, quarter or extended dead ball time. That's not the mechanics, players know the ball is coming in (unless something wierd happens where I would have a whistle) they should be ready to play. This is just my opinion and how I operate.
Old Thu Nov 24, 2005, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Been expirementing with the Fox 40 volumes. Seems there is a small twweet she'll generate that seems to solve the issue for me.

If you are inclinde to whistle - and I do on offense's baseline - a short, low sound serves the purpose.