The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 17, 2021, 10:22am
Esteemed Forum Member

Undershirts ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I said we do not need more changes. Another change will just be more confusing. At least now the undershirt can "try" to match the jersey. In CR's proposal, he is changing the current requirement to mirror other rules, but will likely still have different items used ...
I apologize for not fully understanding your earlier posts.

Are you saying that there are no changes needed only in the equipment rule regarding undershirts? And that any change in the current undershirt rule would be confusing?

If that's the case, I agree 99.9% (with the distaste that I have for enforcing all the fashion rules, there's got to be something (0.1%) that I don't like about the current undershirt rule, but I can't think of it right now).

Freddy is the Forum "fashion expert". Hey Freddy, what say you about the current undershirt rule. Any suggested changes needed to make it better, simpler, and easier to enforce (keeping in mind the need to make it easy (not just possible, but easy) to identify players on each team during fast paced action, especially crowded rebounding action)?

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Feb 17, 2021 at 10:46am.
Old Wed Feb 17, 2021, 11:19am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I apologize for not fully understanding your earlier posts.

Are you saying that there are no changes needed only in the equipment rule regarding undershirts? And that any change in the current undershirt rule would be confusing?

If that's the case, I agree 99.9% (with the distaste that I have for enforcing all the fashion rules, there's got to be something (0.1%) that I don't like about the current undershirt rule, but I can't think of it right now).

Freddy is the Forum "fashion expert". Hey Freddy, what say you about the current undershirt rule. Any suggested changes needed to make it better, simpler, and easier to enforce (keeping in mind the need to make it easy (not just possible, but easy) to identify players on each team during fast paced action, especially crowded rebounding action)?
Does any of this affect how teams play? Are we really struggling to know who is on the court and what team they play for? So why do we need more rules or distinctions about what headband someone wears and does it fit the standard or not the standard of another item like an undershirt? Because if you read CR's proposal, it seems like he wants to make the color restriction the exact same as the other items, but not have to match those other items. All I am saying is why do we need that distinction too? I do not see the need. I will do whatever is requested but seems like another unnecessary layer like requiring logos restrictions on socks like they did in the mid-90s for like one year. It was dumb then and it is dumb now to be worried about what color and arm sleeve are when we know that kids are different colors and shapes themselves.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 17, 2021, 11:52am
Esteemed Forum Member

Happy Medium ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Are we really struggling to know who is on the court and what team they play for?
Good question. And this is the purpose (other than safety, and a few other things) of most of the equipment rules, to easily identify players on each team

The NFHS needs to find a "happy medium".

On one side of the spectrum one could find overly strict complex rules that are difficult for players, coaches, and some officials, to understand, and for some officials to enforce, but make it extremely easy to identify teams, probably beyond what officials need to easily and effectively officiate the game of basketball. Or even simple rules that are extremely strict, like all forms of equipment having the same color as the jersey. Is an extremely strict rule like this necessary for officials to easily and effectively officiate the game of basketball?

On the other side of the spectrum one could find extremely relaxed rules that are quite easy for players, coaches, and officials, to understand, and for all officials to enforce, but make it possibly somewhat difficult to identify teams during fast paced action, especially crowded rebounding situations, making officials possibly somewhat less effective, and making it possibly somewhat more difficult, to officiate the game of basketball.

Has the NFHS found the middle of the spectrum balance point? Easy to understand? Easy to enforce? Easy to identify players on each team? In my opinion, no, no, no, yes.

The NFHS should keep the current uniform (jerseys, colors, numbers) rules in place, and keep the current undershirt rules (white or jersey color) in place (as an extension of the jersey), and simplify, or eliminate, the other equipment rules regarding headbands, wristbands, arm sleeves, knee sleeves, lower leg sleeves, knee pads, elbow pads, compression shorts, and tights.

My opinion: Headbands, wristbands, arm sleeves, elbow pads? Little change. Simplify. Three (down from four) color choices (black, white, jersey color), all the same for a player, all the same for the team. Or, if desired, eliminate such rules completely (if one doesn't mind being the ringmaster at the circus).

My opinion: Knee sleeves, lower leg sleeves, knee pads, compression shorts, and tights? No rules. Ignore (like shoes and socks).

I don't believe that by ignoring everything from the waist down will make it significantly more difficult to easily identify players on each team.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Feb 17, 2021 at 04:21pm.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2021, 11:34am
Esteemed Forum Member

The Worst Is Over, It Can't Get Any Worse ...

Quote:
... simplify, or eliminate ...
The pendulum is on the way, be it slowly, back to center. Over the past several years the NFHS has, in my opinion, made some good common sense decisions regarding uniforms and equipment. Allowing tights. Compression shorts don't have to be the same color as the uniform shorts. Eliminated "school color" equipment language. Allowing "volleyball width" headbands for basketball. Allowing rolled waistbands. White instead of "light" color home jerseys. Jersey number can't be the same color as the jersey (2024-25).

Maybe the NFHS will allow the pendulum to keep swinging. Let's hope.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Feb 18, 2021 at 01:05pm.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2021, 12:49pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Take The Ribbon From Your Hair (Kris Kristofferson, 1970) …

Quote:
Over the past several years the NFHS has made some good common sense decisions regarding uniforms and equipment.
Not saying that I've agreed with all recent NFHS decisions regarding equipment: Headbands not allowed to have tails. Clarified ribbons illegal as a hair control device.

Both decisions, especially the first, make my job more difficult.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Feb 18, 2021 at 03:19pm.
Old Thu Mar 25, 2021, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Found out that my rule change proposals didn't make the NFHS list because my state office Rep didn't forward them on in time. :/
Old Thu Mar 25, 2021, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Found out that my rule change proposals didn't make the NFHS list because my state office Rep didn't forward them on in time. :/
Admin T for failing to submit roster on time.
Old Thu Mar 25, 2021, 03:04pm
Esteemed Forum Member

NFHS Rule Committee Finalists ???

Quote:
Found out that my rule change proposals didn't make the NFHS list because my state office Rep didn't forward them on in time.
Do you know what changes are on the agenda at the NFHS Rule Committee ?

Or is this one of those ...

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Mar 25, 2021 at 03:15pm.
Old Thu Mar 25, 2021, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Do you know what changes are on the agenda at the NFHS Rule Committee ?
Here is the list (paraphrased/abbreviated....too long to paste in here):

1. Stop the clock under a minute.
2. Shot clock (a) nationally or (b) by state adoption
3. Uniform color...dark must be dark
4 & 5. religious head covering regulations without needing state approval
6. 2 shots starting at 5th foul in each quarter
7. 2 shots starting at 5th foul in each quarter (similar to #6 but different wording by different propoent)
8. Bonus at 6th foul in a quarter, automatic bonus at 8th foul in a quarter
9. New definition of a simultaneous multiple foul...two fouls by same team against different opposing players
10. No jump ball in OT...continue AP.
11. Remove coaches ability to be granted a timeout during a live ball...must be by a player.
12. On a double foul where one foul is of a greater severity than the other, possession to team offended by greater foul.
13. Eliminate player control signal...use only team control signal
Old Fri Mar 26, 2021, 12:04pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Liver Pills, Apples, And Coffee ...

Thanks Camron Rust.

No. More chances for clock mistakes in important situations. Many games below the varsity level (especially middle schools) are timed by inexperienced adults, or students.

I assume that either is an option, not mandatory. Many games below the varsity level are timed by inexperienced adults, or students. Connecticut already uses a shot clock for varsity prep school games and we always have problems.

Odd change. Rules already state white for the home team and a contrasting dark color for the visiting team.

Yes. Here in Connecticut we currently allow this and then subsequently suggest that the team get state approval after the game. No officials in Connecticut currently will not allow a player to participate because of religion unless there is a real safety issue.

No. Doubles the chances for certain types of correctable errors. Many games below the varsity level (especially middle schools) are scored by inexperienced adults, or students; and many middle school scoreboards don't show team fouls.

7. 2 shots starting at 5th foul in each quarter (similar to #6 but different wording by different proponent)
No. Doubles the chances for certain types of correctable errors. Many games below the varsity level (especially middle schools) are scored by inexperienced adults, or students; and many middle school scoreboards don't show team fouls.

9. New definition of a simultaneous multiple foul...two fouls by same team against different opposing players
Probably needed, or they wouldn't consider it.

Yes. The beginning of the end of the jump ball. Hey Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. How do you like them apples?

11. Remove coaches ability to be granted a timeout during a live ball...must be by a player.
Yes. Saves a lot of problems where players are scrambling on the floor to get control of a ball, usually right before a probable held ball, where officials should be concentrating on the physicality of the players involved, not having to identify the voice of the head coach. One less thing officials have to worry about in these, and similar tense situations.

12. On a double foul where one foul is of a greater severity than the other, possession to team offended by greater foul.
No. Not needed. But I would be open to a discussion of "fairness".

Yes. Here in my little corner of Connecticut we currently have more player control foul signals than Carter has Little Liver Pills.

And those are my opinions ...

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Mar 26, 2021 at 12:08pm.
Old Fri Mar 26, 2021, 12:16pm
Do not give a damn!!

Meh!!!

I see nothing that I feel need to be added or I feel so adamant about that it must be struck down. I think I would be OK with all of them changing or all of them not being added.

Peace
Old Fri Mar 26, 2021, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

My vote on these items:

Yes...eliminates clock gamesmanship in the last critical seconds of a game.

OK. I suggested (a), which was a mandatory change, only if the timeline were several years. (b) state adoption is good as each state can control the adoption.

No. I didn't give you the full wording, but I see it as unnecessary.

No. Is already allowed through state approval. As is, it prevents a player from suddenly becoming religious and wearing a spaghetti colander on his or her head.

No. Unneeded. 1+1 has been around for decades and it works

7. 2 shots starting at 5th foul in each quarter (similar to #6 but different wording by different proponent)
No. Unneeded. 1+1 has been around for decades and it works

Big No....do they want to clean up rough play or not...this more or less would make it open season to foul.

Yes.

No...the jump ball starts the OT more equitably, particularly if you have a team that is inclined to stall.

YES!!

OK.

YES
[/QUOTE]
Old Fri Mar 26, 2021, 01:36pm
Esteemed Forum Member

First Amendment ...

Quote:
As is, it prevents a player from suddenly becoming religious and wearing a spaghetti colander on his or her head.
I'll give you my spaghetti colander when you pry it from my cold, dead head.

Old Fri Mar 26, 2021, 01:41pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Can't Teach Tall ...

Quote:
... the jump ball starts the OT more equitably, particularly if you have a team that is inclined to stall ...
... or have one team that is inclined to use their seven foot one inch tall player, as we do here in Connecticut.

When this kid showed up at his door three years ago, I'm sure that the coach got in contact with every really old retired coach he could find to learn all the old jump ball trick plays that were used before the alternating possession arrow was invented.

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Mar 26, 2021 at 01:49pm.
Old Fri Mar 26, 2021, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Here is the list (paraphrased/abbreviated....too long to paste in here):

7. 2 shots starting at 5th foul in each quarter (similar to #6 but different wording by different propoent)
1. Yes. It eliminates the potential for clock-related tomfoolery (e.g. the winning team "helping" the old Lead official by passing the ball to him after a score) near the end of the game, especially a close game. I had to give a technical foul to a player late in a tournament game because he was in the way of an opponent trying to get to the ball for a throw-in, and wouldn't listen when I told him to knock it off. This would not happen under the proposed rule.
2. I would agree with a) if there is a phase-in period (GA is currently phasing the shot clock in, and will allow it to be used in regular season play starting this upcoming season (2021-22). It will be mandatory next season (2022-23) for regular and postseason varsity games). I would agree with b), because each state should be able to figure out an equitable way to adopt the shot clock.
3. No.
4 and 5, sure as long as there is no safety issue.
6. If the one-and-one is eliminated, absolutely.
7. Same as above.
8. No
9. Yes
10. No
11-13 Yes