The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 15, 2021, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

I like undershirt color rules just the way they are now, strict (only two choices), but simple to understand, and simple to enforce (if we all did it, we can be our own worst enemies, if 95% of us strictly enforced this in the first week and a half in December, the problem would go away, like herd immunity).
What am I missing? What are the two choices???
Old Mon Feb 15, 2021, 03:09pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Yeah, I Know, Road Jersey Colors Can Be A Lot Of Colors ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
What am I missing? What are the two choices???
I apologize for being so "loose" with my language (fixed it).

White, or road jersey color.

Two choices for most individual teams (unless they have multiple road jerseys (remember this is only high school)).

Reminded me that changing "light color" to "white" for the home team, and getting rid of all references to "school color", were great NHFS fashion police rule changes.

At least they've tried to simplify some of these rules, but unfortunately it was one step forward, one step backyard.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Feb 15, 2021 at 03:22pm.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2021, 03:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I apologize for being so "loose" with my language (fixed it).

White, or road jersey color.

Two choices for most individual teams (unless they have multiple road jerseys (remember this is only high school)).
I really only see that as one option since the team's home/away status dictates which one they can wear if they wear one.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2021, 03:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Don't give a damn about uniform clarifications. Stop having officials adjudicate this kind of silliness.

The other rules do not move me, but they are OK. They can change definitions and still not define the actions properly in the Casebook or interpretation.

And keep the seatbelt rule, gets them to think about why that took place.

Peace
The point of my proposal, knowing they're not getting rid of the uniform stuff, was not a clarification but an actual change to loosen the restrictions and make it both less confusing and, as an added benefit, less that we have to worry about since more options would be legal.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2021, 08:19am
Esteemed Forum Member

Strict ...

Quote:
I really only see that as one option since the team's home/away status dictates which one they can wear if they wear one.
Get it. Like I said, "strict".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Tue Feb 16, 2021, 08:26am
Esteemed Forum Member

We Don't Need No Stinking Badges ...

Quote:
... an actual change to loosen the restrictions and make it both less confusing and, as an added benefit, less that we have to worry about since more options would be legal.
Agree. This is utterly ridiculous:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...r7jfevVSE/edit

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Feb 16, 2021 at 08:38am.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2021, 08:39am
Esteemed Forum Member

I'll Be Here All Week Folks, Enjoy The All You Can Eat Shrimp Buffet ...

Quote:
This is utterly ridiculous ...

Old Tue Feb 16, 2021, 09:07am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
The point of my proposal, knowing they're not getting rid of the uniform stuff, was not a clarification but an actual change to loosen the restrictions and make it both less confusing and, as an added benefit, less that we have to worry about since more options would be legal.
And my point is we do not need more changes to this rule. I get it and I just wish this was not in our hands or in some other bucket that can be dealt with. Just saying schools do not provide these things just like they do not provide socks and somehow we survive.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 16, 2021, 01:32pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Don't Want To A Fashion Police Officer Or A Circus Ringmaster ...

Quote:
And my point is we do not need more changes to this rule.
So you like the fashion rules as they currently are? Not me. Too complex, and confusing for many players, coaches and a few officials. Many not needed (little or nothing to do with the game of basketball, or officiating the game of basketball).

And many officials are between a rock and a hard place. Enforce fashion rules and one may be considered overly officious and criticized by coaches ("John Smith didn't enforce this last week."), and possibly by partners (rolling eyes). Ignore them and one may be criticized by others (blaming widespread use of illegal equipment on the lack of enforcement by those that ignore), some of whom may be promotion observers. Lose. Lose.

Make the fashion rules short and sweet (simple and needed) making it easy for everybody to enforce them (and to want to enforce them).

We need simple equipment rules that make equipment safe and make it easy (not just possible, but easy) to identify players on each team during fast paced action.

Wouldn't you even consider this change? It's got to make things better than they currently are, because it can't get any worse.

Quote:
Ignore everything from the waist down (leg sleeves, knee pads, tights, compression shorts), just as we now ignore shorts, socks, and shoes.
No lights (Casebook 3.5 Situation B), or springs (or rockets) on shoes (equipment which is designed to increase a team member’s height or vertical reach or to gain a competitive advantage must not be permitted). Knee braces (unaltered from the manufacturer’s original design) must be safe. Completely ignore everything else from the waist down. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

What unintended consequences (a usual NFHS modus operandi) am I missing here?

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Feb 16, 2021 at 04:54pm.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2021, 04:57pm
Esteemed Forum Member

One Step At A Time ...

Quote:
Completely ignore everything else from the waist down.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Feb 16, 2021 at 05:26pm.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2021, 11:56pm
Do not give a damn!!

I said we do not need more changes. Another change will just be more confusing. At least now the undershirt can "try" to match the jersey. In CR's proposal, he is changing the current requirement to mirror other rules, but will likely still have different items used. That is usually the last thing to deal with in the uniform situation when addressed early.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 17, 2021, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
While the present undershirt rule is the strictest of all fashion rules (only two choices: white, or jersey color)...
Did I miss something somewhere?? I thought there was no choice - the only option was “similar to the jersey color”. If a kid has a black jersey, white ain’t gonna cut it in my book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Wed Feb 17, 2021, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
Is there a law that says that the NFHS shall only adopt nonsensical rules proposals ?

No, but precedents would seem to indicate this is how they roll.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Wed Feb 17, 2021, 10:03am
Esteemed Forum Member

Packing A Bag ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhistlesAndStripes View Post
Did I miss something somewhere?? I thought there was no choice - the only option was “similar to the jersey color”. If a kid has a black jersey, white ain’t gonna cut it in my book.
Two choices as the kid is packing his bag for the game, or preparing to dress for the game: White undershirt for a home game. Jersey color undershirt for a road game.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Feb 17, 2021 at 10:24am.
Old Wed Feb 17, 2021, 10:16am
Esteemed Forum Member

More Confusing ???

Quote:
I said we do not need more changes. Another change will just be more confusing ...
How could a change to completely ignoring (with very few exceptions regarding safety, illegal advantage, or inappropriate) everything from the waist down be deemed "more confusing" than the current rules we already have regarding leg sleeves, knee pads, tights, and compression shorts (four legal colors (including jersey color), solid colors only, all the same for a player, all the same for the team, logo size and number, knee pad or knee brace).

I know a few guys who still believe that compression shorts must be the same color as the uniform shorts, and who believe that a knee pad is adjudicated the same as a knee brace.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Feb 17, 2021 at 10:24am.