The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #31 (permalink)  
Old Wed May 15, 2019, 07:39am
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 17,606
Valid Point ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
"On the dribble" is the key phrase for me. If it did not return to the hand, then it would not be a dribble.
Not going to quibble about the wording (yes, it could have been the start of an interrupted dribble), but bottom line, my point is a valid point and is not incorrect. Two thought it wasn't backcourt, many didn't, can we move on to Situation #2, which can lead to an interesting discussion.

https://forum.officiating.com/basket...ml#post1032772
__________________
John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
Reply With Quote
  #32 (permalink)  
Old Wed May 15, 2019, 10:52am
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 13,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Not going to quibble about the wording (yes, it could have been the start of an interrupted dribble)...
It's not an interrupted dribble until the ball contacts somebody's body part other than either of the dribbler's hands.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
.. Situation #2, which can lead to an interesting discussion.

https://forum.officiating.com/basket...ml#post1032772
The only way this is a confusing situation is if you believe the player is no longer in PC during a dribble when the ball is not in contact with his hand.
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR

Last edited by Raymond; Wed May 15, 2019 at 10:55am.
Reply With Quote
  #33 (permalink)  
Old Wed May 15, 2019, 11:45am
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 17,606
"Or", Not "And" ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
The only way this is a confusing situation is if you believe the player is no longer in PC during a dribble when the ball is not in contact with his hand.
At first, I really liked the reference to player control as a simple way of answering my question.

But there's not a lot about player control in the backcourt rule (some, but not a lot that may be relevant), but there is a little bit more about touching in the rule.

Note: This is the commonly accepted Forum definition, not the NFHS definition:

The four elements for having a backcourt violation are: there must be team control (and initial player control
when coming from a throw-in); the ball must have achieved frontcourt status; the team in team control must
be the last to touch the ball before it goes into the backcourt; that same team must be the first to touch after
the ball has been in the backcourt.


NFHS 9-9-1: Backcourt: A player shall not be the first to touch the ball after it has been
in team control in the frontcourt, if he/she or a teammate last touched or
was touched by the ball in the frontcourt before it went to the backcourt.

I think that I possibly found a better citation:

4-4-1: A ball which is in contact with a player or with the court is in the backcourt if either the ball or the player (either player if the ball is touching more than one) is touching the backcourt.

It states "or", not "and", so while 9-3-1-Note may only apply to out of bounds, not backcourt, 4-4-1 does most certainly apply to backcourt, so a dribbling player does not have to have his hand in contact with the ball for a backcourt violation to be called in Situation #2.

I never check for the hand in contact with the ball when a dribbler touches the division line with his foot in this situation, I just sound my whistle for the backcourt violation and move on. Been doing it that way for almost forty years, thinking I was doing it because of 9-3-1-Note, or purpose and intent. I guess that my interpretation, that I believe to be correct, is based on 4-4-1, not the other citations.

I'm not 100% sure, so would appreciate further discussion (with citations).
__________________
John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed May 15, 2019 at 12:06pm.
Reply With Quote
  #34 (permalink)  
Old Wed May 15, 2019, 11:58am
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 17,606
Interrupted Dribble ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
It's not an interrupted dribble until the ball contacts somebody's body part other than either of the dribbler's hands.
Certainly one way to end up with an interrupted dribble, but not the only way.

4-15-5: An interrupted dribble occurs when the ball is loose after deflecting off the dribbler or after it momentarily gets away from the
dribbler. There is no player control during an interrupted dribble.
__________________
John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
Reply With Quote
  #35 (permalink)  
Old Wed May 15, 2019, 12:44pm
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 13,304
So I guess in your world if a player pushes off with his off hand in between dribbles it is not a player control foul since he's not touching the ball at that exact moment. I guess he gains and losses player control every time he bats the ball to the floor.

You type so much irrelevant information you lose yourself and forget what the original play was.

A player is dribbling in the front court. In between bats of the ball he steps on the division line. How is it not a backcourt violation since he has continuous player control?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR

Last edited by Raymond; Wed May 15, 2019 at 12:47pm.
Reply With Quote
  #36 (permalink)  
Old Wed May 15, 2019, 12:45pm
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 13,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Certainly one way to end up with an interrupted dribble, but not the only way.



4-15-5: An interrupted dribble occurs when the ball is loose after deflecting off the dribbler or after it momentarily gets away from the

dribbler. There is no player control during an interrupted dribble.

I know the definition of ian nterrupted dribble. I don't see what your point is.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR
Reply With Quote
  #37 (permalink)  
Old Wed May 15, 2019, 01:54pm
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 17,606
Not Sure ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
A player is dribbling in the front court. In between bats of the ball he steps on the division line. How is it not a backcourt violation since he has continuous player control?
I also believe that this is a backcourt violation, but I'm not sure that player control is the correct citation after reading the actual rule as written:

9-9-1: Backcourt: A player shall not be the first to touch the ball after it has been in team control in the frontcourt, if he/she or a teammate last touched or was touched by the ball in the frontcourt before it went to the backcourt.

4-4-1: A ball which is in contact with a player or with the court is in the backcourt if either the ball or the player (either player if the ball is touching more than one) is touching the backcourt.
__________________
John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
Reply With Quote
  #38 (permalink)  
Old Wed May 15, 2019, 02:00pm
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 17,606
Momentarily Get Away From Him ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I know the definition of an interrupted dribble. I don't see what your point is.
I'm sure that you do, just wanted to clean your post up a little so others know that there are other ways for a dribble to become interrupted without necessarily contacting a player's body part other than his hands. Other examples include the ball deflecting (uncontrolled) off of his hands (judgment call), or the ball momentarily getting away from him.
__________________
John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed May 15, 2019 at 02:03pm.
Reply With Quote
  #39 (permalink)  
Old Wed May 15, 2019, 02:24pm
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 17,606
Holding Or Dribbling ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
So I guess in your world if a player pushes off with his off hand in between dribbles it is not a player control foul since he's not touching the ball at that exact moment. I guess he gains and losses player control every time he bats the ball to the floor.
Never said that.

4-12-1: A player is in control of the ball when he/she is holding or dribbling a live ball.

4-15-1: A dribble is ball movement caused by a player in control who
bats (intentionally strikes the ball with the hand(s)) or pushes the ball to the
floor once or several times.
__________________
John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
Reply With Quote
  #40 (permalink)  
Old Wed May 15, 2019, 02:27pm
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 13,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I also believe that this is a backcourt violation, but I'm not sure that player control is the correct citation after reading the actual rule as written:

9-9-1: Backcourt: A player shall not be the first to touch the ball after it has been in team control in the frontcourt, if he/she or a teammate last touched or was touched by the ball in the frontcourt before it went to the backcourt.

4-4-1: A ball which is in contact with a player or with the court is in the backcourt if either the ball or the player (either player if the ball is touching more than one) is touching the backcourt.
All of that is irrelevant. A player who is dribbling has player control. If he steps on the division line, it's a backcourt violation. Doesn't matter if he is dribbling or holding the ball. Player Control = Possession.

4-4-1 accounts for players who DO NOT HAVE PLAYER CONTROL/POSSESSION.

A player who has PC meets all conditions of 9-9-1. He stepped into the back court while in possession of the ball. It is irrelevant if he does so while actually batting the ball or in between bats.

Quit using dictionary definitions. PC equals touching the ball whether there is contact or not with the ball.
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR
Reply With Quote
  #41 (permalink)  
Old Wed May 15, 2019, 02:28pm
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 13,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Never said that.

4-12-1: A player is in control of the ball when he/she is holding or dribbling a live ball.

4-15-1: A dribble is ball movement caused by a player in control who
bats (intentionally strikes the ball with the hand(s)) or pushes the ball to the
floor once or several times.
So why does it matter if he's actually touching the ball when he steps on the division line?
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR
Reply With Quote
  #42 (permalink)  
Old Wed May 15, 2019, 02:46pm
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 17,606
Player Control ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
A player who is dribbling has player control. If he steps on the division line, it's a backcourt violation. He stepped into the back court while in possession of the ball. It is irrelevant if he does so while actually batting the ball or in between bats. PC equals touching the ball whether there is contact or not with the ball.
Agree with your definition of player control. Agree that this is a backcourt violation. Fuzzy on the irrelevant part. Touching seems to be relevant, not necessarily player control, to the backcourt rule.

9-9-1: Backcourt: A player shall not be the first to touch the ball after it has been in team control in the frontcourt, if he/she or a teammate last touched or was touched by the ball in the frontcourt before it went to the backcourt.

No mention of player control in the rule (other then needing player control to establish team control).

4-4-1 seems to be say that if either the ball or the player touches backcourt it's the same as if both touched the backcourt.

4-4-1: A ball which is in contact with a player or with the court is in the backcourt if either the ball or the player is touching the backcourt.

I'm still not certain, and I'm still looking for relevant citations.

Maybe 9-3-1-Note (A player shall not cause the ball to go out of bounds. The dribbler has committed a violation if he/she steps on or outside a boundary, even though he/she is not touching the ball while he/she is out of bounds) is the correct citation?
__________________
John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
Reply With Quote
  #43 (permalink)  
Old Wed May 15, 2019, 02:48pm
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 17,606
Touching ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
So why does it matter if he's actually touching the ball when he steps on the division line?
Because player control doesn't appear to be part of the backcourt rule.

"While in player control, a ball handler, or dribbler, must not step into the backcourt", would be nice, but it's not the rule.

That's the way I call it every time, but it's not the rule.

We need to throw in 4-4-1, or 9-3-1-Note, or purpose and intent, or something else I'm missing, to complete the rule interpretation.
__________________
John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed May 15, 2019 at 02:54pm.
Reply With Quote
  #44 (permalink)  
Old Wed May 15, 2019, 02:51pm
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 13,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Because player control doesn't appear to be part of the backcourt rule.
So if I'm holding the ball in the front court I can step on the division line? (Based on you totally overthinking the rule, you are saying that a player can legally do this)

How is that any different than stepping on the division line while dribbling the ball in the front court.

To quote another post: 4-12-1: A player is in control of the ball when he/she is holding or dribbling a live ball.
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR

Last edited by Raymond; Wed May 15, 2019 at 02:53pm.
Reply With Quote
  #45 (permalink)  
Old Wed May 15, 2019, 02:55pm
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 13,304
I'll sit here and wait while you explain why a player with FC status holding the ball is any different than a player with FC status dribbling the ball or how 9-9-1 doesn't apply.
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Backcourt violation? luvhoops Basketball 32 Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:11am
Backcourt violation or not??? splitveer Basketball 12 Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:01am
Backcourt Violation?? WhistlesAndStripes Basketball 6 Sat Feb 06, 2010 05:20pm
10/8 second backcourt violation furlu55 Basketball 3 Tue Mar 10, 2009 05:41am
Backcourt Violation? williebfree Basketball 39 Thu Feb 10, 2005 05:21pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:19am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1