The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Sat Feb 06, 2010, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,957
Backcourt Violation??

A1 brings the ball into the frontcourt where he is immediately trapped by B1 and B2 right by the midcourt line. A1 reaches around B1 to throw a bounce pass to A2. A1 has both feet in the frontcourt and has already dribbled in the frontcourt, so it is definitely frontcourt status. The pass to A1 bounces in the backcourt but is caught by A2 who has both feet in the frontcourt.

Is this a backcourt violation?
__________________
If you ain't first, you're LAST!!!
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Sat Feb 06, 2010, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
A1 brings the ball into the frontcourt where he is immediately trapped by B1 and B2 right by the midcourt line. A1 reaches around B1 to throw a bounce pass to A2. A1 has both feet in the frontcourt and has already dribbled in the frontcourt, so it is definitely frontcourt status. The pass to A1 bounces in the backcourt but is caught by A2 who has both feet in the frontcourt.

Is this a backcourt violation?
Yes. While in Team control, A1 was the last to touch the ball in the FC and A2 was the first to touch in the BC. Ball had BC staus.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Sat Feb 06, 2010, 01:52pm
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
A1 brings the ball into the frontcourt where he is immediately trapped by B1 and B2 right by the midcourt line. A1 reaches around B1 to throw a bounce pass to A2. A1 has both feet in the frontcourt and has already dribbled in the frontcourt, so it is definitely frontcourt status. The pass to A1 bounces in the backcourt but is caught by A2 who has both feet in the frontcourt.

Is this a backcourt violation?
Yes, violation.
Team control with the ball having FC status? Yes.
Last to touch before the ball went to the BC? Yes.
First to touch after the ball went to the BC? yes.

Violation.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Sat Feb 06, 2010, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 7,621
Yes, violation. No, not a popular call. Oh well.
__________________
Cheers,
mb
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Sat Feb 06, 2010, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: In the offseason.
Posts: 11,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch85 View Post
Yes. While in Team control, A1 was the last to touch the ball in the FC and A2 was the first to touch in the BC. Ball had BC staus.
This statement is not an accurate way to describe the rule. This leaves the possiblity that someone could think that A2 was in or had to be in the backcourt for there to be a violation. See Snaq's post for a much better way....
__________________
Owner/Developer of RefTown.com

Last edited by Camron Rust; Mon Feb 08, 2010 at 12:43am.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Sat Feb 06, 2010, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,957
OK, this all makes sense. One variable then, if A1 passes it with spin on the ball, and the ball bounces first in the backcourt, then in the frontcourt, and THEN A2 catches it,there would be no violation, correct?
__________________
If you ain't first, you're LAST!!!
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Sat Feb 06, 2010, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 7,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
OK, this all makes sense. One variable then, if A1 passes it with spin on the ball, and the ball bounces first in the backcourt, then in the frontcourt, and THEN A2 catches it,there would be no violation, correct?
Look at Snaq's reply again to answer this.
__________________
Cheers,
mb
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
backcourt violation? yankeesfan Basketball 4 Wed Jan 17, 2007 08:31am
backcourt violation? sc/nc ref Basketball 6 Wed Jan 05, 2005 08:35pm
Backcourt violation??? jshock Basketball 10 Wed Nov 27, 2002 01:31pm
Backcourt Violation Bchill24 Basketball 3 Fri Nov 08, 2002 10:56am
Backcourt violation. Dennis Nicely Basketball 7 Mon Jan 15, 2001 11:52pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:19pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1