The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Sat May 11, 2019, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 11
backcourt violation?

1--Player dribbles parallel to the division line and adjacent to the division line in his frontcourt.
While dribbling, he has both feet in the front court, but the ball touches the floor on the dribble in the backcourt. Is this a backcourt violation?
2--Player dribbles parallel to the division line and adjacent to the division line in his frontcourt.
While dribbling, he places one foot on the division line, but the other foot and the ball remain in the frontcourt, Is this a backcourt violation?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Sat May 11, 2019, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 509
You're omitting a key detail. YOU'RE saying he's dribbling in frontcourt, but we can't be certain you really know what that means (unless you're an official). But taking you literally, both are violations.

1 -- If he's dribbling the ball from backcourt to frontcourt, and all three things (two feet and ball) have yet to touch the frontcourt, then no. But as you describe it, he's already firmly established in frontcourt (i.e., nothing touching backcourt), and then dribbles ball so it touches backcourt … violation.
2 -- As you describe it, he's already firmly established in frontcourt (i.e., nothing touching backcourt), and then steps on division line … violation.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Sun May 12, 2019, 10:10am
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 17,606
No Backcourt Violation Until A Touch ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcowboy View Post
1--Player dribbles parallel to the division line and adjacent to the division line in his frontcourt. While dribbling, he has both feet in the front court, but the ball touches the floor on the dribble in the backcourt. Is this a backcourt violation?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
1 ... But as you describe it, he's already firmly established in frontcourt (i.e., nothing touching backcourt), and then dribbles ball so it touches backcourt … violation.
As described, no backcourt violation.

No backcourt violation unless he touches the ball as it bounces off the floor in the backcourt back to his hand.

If he never touches the ball it's just a ball that bounces into the backcourt, and thus, no backcourt violation.

The four elements for having a backcourt violation are: there must be team control (and initial player control
when coming from a throw-in); the ball must have achieved frontcourt status; the team in team control must
be the last to touch the ball before it goes into the backcourt; that same team must be the first to touch after
the ball has been in the backcourt.


Do not confuse this backcourt play with 9-3-1-Note: A player shall not cause the ball to go out of bounds. The dribbler has committed a violation if he/she steps on or outside a boundary, even though he/she is not touching the ball while he/she
is out of bounds.


9-3-1-Note refers to an out of bounds violation, not a backcourt violation.

Two different animals.

__________________
John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun May 12, 2019 at 10:46am.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Sun May 12, 2019, 09:02pm
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 28,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcowboy View Post
1--Player dribbles parallel to the division line and adjacent to the division line in his frontcourt.
While dribbling, he has both feet in the front court, but the ball touches the floor on the dribble in the backcourt. Is this a backcourt violation?
When a player is dribbling from the BC to the FC, the player must have touched the FC with both feet an the ball. If the player is holding the ball, he has to have both feet completely in the FC. Then if he were to start a dribble and the ball touched the FC, that would be a violation.

Not very clear what happened first on your play. So it is possible this is not a violation of the player never completely came into FC status by the things I just described.


Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcowboy View Post
2--Player dribbles parallel to the division line and adjacent to the division line in his frontcourt.
While dribbling, he places one foot on the division line, but the other foot and the ball remain in the frontcourt, Is this a backcourt violation?
Thanks.
Again if the player never reached FC status during the dribble, then the answer is no.

Peace
__________________
"When the phone does not ring, the assignor is calling."
--Black

Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Mon May 13, 2019, 08:50am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrutledge View Post
When a player is dribbling from the BC to the FC, the player must have touched the FC with both feet an the ball. If the player is holding the ball, he has to have both feet completely in the FC. Then if he were to start a dribble and the ball touched the FC BC, that would be a violation.
fify
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Mon May 13, 2019, 09:06am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 11
In my above scenario, the player has already been established in the front court for several seconds, before the described actions.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Mon May 13, 2019, 09:21am
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 17,606
Follow The Bouncing Ball ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
So it is possible this is not a violation of the player never completely came into FC status by the things I just described.
Agree, but with hindsight, that's not what the original poster meant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcowboy View Post
... the player has already been established in the front court for several seconds, before the described actions.
Even if the "player ... completely came into FC status (two feet and the ball had frontcourt status) ... this is ... not a violation" unless he touches the ball as it bounces off the floor in the backcourt back to his hand.

If he never touches the ball it's just a ball that bounces into the backcourt, and thus, no backcourt violation.

__________________
John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon May 13, 2019 at 11:23am.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Mon May 13, 2019, 11:32am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcowboy View Post
In my above scenario, the player has already been established in the front court for several seconds, before the described actions.
If front court status had been established both situations would be a backcourt violation
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Mon May 13, 2019, 11:37am
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 17,606
Situation 1, No Backcourt ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdoebler View Post
If front court status had been established both situations would be a backcourt violation
Totally disagree with sdoebler's interpretation of Situation 1:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcowboy View Post
1--Player dribbles parallel to the division line and adjacent to the division line in his frontcourt. While dribbling, he has both feet in the front court, but the ball touches the floor on the dribble in the backcourt. Is this a backcourt violation?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
As described, no backcourt violation.

No backcourt violation unless he touches the ball as it bounces off the floor in the backcourt back to his hand.

If he never touches the ball it's just a ball that bounces into the backcourt, and thus, no backcourt violation.

The four elements for having a backcourt violation are: there must be team control (and initial player control
when coming from a throw-in); the ball must have achieved frontcourt status; the team in team control must
be the last to touch the ball before it goes into the backcourt; that same team must be the first to touch after
the ball has been in the backcourt.


Do not confuse this backcourt play with 9-3-1-Note: A player shall not cause the ball to go out of bounds. The dribbler has committed a violation if he/she steps on or outside a boundary, even though he/she is not touching the ball while he/she
is out of bounds.


9-3-1-Note refers to an out of bounds violation, not a backcourt violation.
The ball could bounce, roll, and remain stationary, in the backcourt and not be a backcourt violation until it's touched by an offensive player.

__________________
John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon May 13, 2019 at 01:46pm.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Mon May 13, 2019, 11:42am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Totally disagree with sdoebler's interpretation of Situation 1:
I'm assuming the ball came back to his hand,
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Mon May 13, 2019, 11:54am
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 17,606
Never Assume ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdoebler View Post
I'm assuming the ball came back to his hand,
https://youtu.be/svkgOsr7pUc

It doesn't say that in the original post.

Young'uns, or distracted veterans, may sound the whistle as soon as the ball touches the backcourt.

Anticipate the play, not the call.

Most of us realize that we have to wait for the offensive touch to call a backcourt violation.

Who knows? A defender could come in, make a steal, leading to a dunk down the other end?

More importantly, it's not the correct call.
__________________
John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon May 13, 2019 at 12:11pm.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Mon May 13, 2019, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 17,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post


The ball could bounce, roll, and remain stationary, in the backcourt for eight minutes and not be a backcourt violation until it's touched by an offensive player.
I agree it wouldn't be a backcourt violation. Instead, it would be a 10-second violation.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Mon May 13, 2019, 01:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 17,606
Hyperbole ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I agree it wouldn't be a backcourt violation. Instead, it would be a 10-second violation.
Nice catch (I fixed it).

I have to watch out when I use hyperbole on the Forum. We've got some pretty sharp members that have been around the block several times and have been to more than just a few rodeos.

And to be honest, though I would hate to admit it, I probably would not start counting. Of course, I would be wrong.

Still being honest, even if a defender flicked (no control) the ball into the backcourt, I'm not 100% sure that I would start counting until an offensive player touched it. Again, I would be wrong.

At least I would get these situations correct on a written test. That has to count for something. Right?
__________________
John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon May 13, 2019 at 01:46pm.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Mon May 13, 2019, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 11
Yes, in both scenarios,
the ball bounces back into his hand.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Mon May 13, 2019, 01:44pm
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 17,606
Backcourt ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcowboy View Post
Yes, in both scenarios, the ball bounces back into his hand.
Why didn't you say so earlier?

Backcourt violations.

__________________
John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Backcourt violation? luvhoops Basketball 32 Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:11am
Backcourt violation or not??? splitveer Basketball 12 Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:01am
Backcourt Violation?? WhistlesAndStripes Basketball 6 Sat Feb 06, 2010 05:20pm
10/8 second backcourt violation furlu55 Basketball 3 Tue Mar 10, 2009 05:41am
Backcourt Violation? williebfree Basketball 39 Thu Feb 10, 2005 05:21pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:24am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1